MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you give a stranger £3?

Comments

• A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    If you buy them the ticket, they will just try to sell it to someone else.

And are there any train tickets that only cost £3 these days? Sounds like she is making it up to me.
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    NO WAY!!

What is a woman doing with a wallet anyway?

It's a con artist and a transvestite!!!!
  • Taffybiker
    Taffybiker Posts: 927 Forumite
    If I had my car and a friend with me, I may offer her a lift home.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • mrsbex
    mrsbex Posts: 27 Forumite
    I would give the £3 if I had it on me. I'm not well off, but at least I have a roof over my head. I would rather be conned than walk past someone in need. If they are conning me, they'll have to answer for it one day anyway :A
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    It depends really, I've been scammed before now, and I am a bit more savvy these days. I work in an area where there are a lot of junkies and alcoholics, so I can spot them a mile off. At the end of the day it's only £3 so if I have it on me, I'd probably hand it over although I am reluctant to get my purse out to give people money as last time I did that, the so and so grabbed the purse off me and took everything out. :rolleyes:
  • DFW2
    DFW2 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Wow that's London weighting for you, near the station I use they only ask for 20p..!
  • dtb_2
    dtb_2 Posts: 4 Newbie
    This happened to me too and I did give the lady a couple of pounds. The next day I saw her do exactly the same scam on somebody else!
  • starkj
    starkj Posts: 63 Forumite
    scotsbob wrote: »
    Yes without any hesitation or reservation, because I remember the day when I stood poor and penniless.

What Bob says, one day it could be you relying on help from others.

I have been scammed like this in Newcastle, bloke didn't recognise me the second time he asked. So next time I would offer to buy a ticket.
  • Usually when you ask these people, they will say they cannot get in contact with any of their friends, that they have something important (and usually heart-string pulling, ie visiting sick mother, etc), and it's urgent. It's usually designed to put the person under pressure for a quick response, and it's relying on people being conditioned to be "nice".

I always ask them the questions, and when they reply as above, I say "how terrible, I can't in good concience leave you here alone, let's both go to the police booth / call police so I can ensure that you are helped". Not surprisingly, I have yet to meet one who actually wants this - it's a rather abrupt end to the conversation normally! :rotfl:

Of course, should they ever turn out to be legit, like some posters on here say they have been, then I'm sure they wouldn't mind the police asking them for ID / questions.
  • tenmah
    tenmah Posts: 2,209 Forumite
    Oh dear, this has happened to me and it wasn't just £3 it was £10. He gave us a phone number to phone the next day to get the money back! How naive am I?

The worst thing was that I had taken my daughter to London for the day for her birthday and so I had £10 less to spend on her, but I thought I was helping someone out.

I have learnt my lesson now though!
    OD [STRIKE] £2600 [/STRIKE] £0 :j Loan [STRIKE]£9500.00[/STRIKE] £0 :j Car [STRIKE]£3150[/STRIKE] £0 :j Moving Costs [STRIKE]£1300[/STRIKE] £0 :j Savings £1150 :j

Everytime I hear the 'dirty' word Exercise, I wash my mouth out with chocolate!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure