PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Certified identification (not post office)

elleandsuch
elleandsuch Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 3 August 2017 at 1:15PM in House buying, renting & selling
Delete please

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why does your surveyor want your ID? Do you mean solicitor?
    Whichever you mean, if they're local why can't you go in to see them? Or just post ID to them?
  • elleandsuch
    elleandsuch Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 3 August 2017 at 1:15PM
    Delete please
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 August 2017 at 1:09PM
    Hmmmm you sure the surveyor requires this ID? You'd expect solicitors and banks etc to require such. To be honest... as above... if they're local see if they'll accept you taking original proofs.. and check what will precisely be acceptable to them...otherwise I'd be tempted to go elsewhere unless others here suggest this is common practice. If you shop around then should be able to get a solicitor certify documents for £20 or less... possibly even by just dropping in to a solicitor's office in town... I got one certified for £5 by a solicitor at Newcastle Law Centre... I wonder if you have similar options where you live.

Strongly advise people hold onto paper bills or statements for a year in case they're asked for ID... water.. council tax often come for free along with some bank statements.

ETA. You've posted while I was writing. So to add.. hmm... odd... not least because they do not require certified documents.. the best form of ID is originals supplied in person by the person who is verifying their name and address and they can take photocopies for their records.... bad practice IMO that ignores the whole point of AML legislation. I don't understand really how a company that does surveying (unless they do other things like conveyancing work) could be realistically vulnerable to ML as you're talking about a small value purchase for a product that cannot realistically be sold on. To be honest I'd go elsewhere.... often these such checks are done electronically anyway by companies and only resort to manual checks where people cannot be verified electronically because they have little trace of their name and address through things like financial products and electoral register. Comically in this case they suggest you can scan and send via email which sounds again risky in terms of the very thing regulations are there to prevent.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have no idea why a surveyor would want to comply with the rules of the Law Society or care about money-laundering regulations. Sounds most odd. Are you sure you haven't got this mixed up?

But given you'll be instructing a solicitor anyway, find one and see if they can give you certified copies at the same time as they check your ID for their own purposes.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The estate agent I'm buying through has asked for the same and has said that my estate agent (or solicitor) can email them copies of what I've already provided to each of them.

No idea why a surveyor would need to see them. I think they're all panicking as some of the Money Laundering regs are slightly grey areas and they're covering their own @rses.

If you purposely chose 'local', can't you just pop in? Does it have to go via a third party? Can't they just copy the originals?

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 August 2017 at 1:42PM
    No, the surveyor want my ID. There's no point going in and seeing them, as they themselves don't certify documents :(

The email says:
    In order to comply with the current Money Laundering Regulations, and the rules of the Law Society, we are required to ask all new clients to provide appropriate identification before we commence acting.

We would, therefore, be grateful if you would provide us with the following:

1. A photo ID such as your driving licence or passport, and

2. A proof of address, dated within the last three months, showing your name, such as a utility bill (Gas, Electricity, Water), current Council Tax bill, Bank/Building Society/Credit Card statement, or Mortgage statement.

Please do not send any originals, but supply copies of the original certified by a Solicitor, we confirm we do not accept ID certified by the post office. Please either send it by post or scanned by email.
    I do not believe this email came from a surveyor.

This is from your solicitor.

And yes, a solicior acting for you in the purchase of a property must confirm your ID.

Take the original documents to their office - they will photocopy them (free as they are acting for you) and give tthem back. Sorted.

If you are using a (cheap?) online conveyancing outfit, well, ths is one of the downsides of not using a local solicitor.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 August 2017 at 1:23PM
    Cached...
    I'm buying my first house, and purposely chose a local surveyor with a good reputation as I thought that'd be the simplest and quickest... I thought wrong

Whereas I found some online surveyor companies who do the document/identification certification either for free or for a very small additional free (£7-13), my surveyor doesn't - and also doesn't accept ID certified by the post office.

I'm pretty sure my only option is to go to a solicitor and get this does, which I heard is about £40-80. I just thought I'd post here first and see if there's an alternative Thank you!

Edit: also, can a PRINTED bank statement be certified? I don't want to wait 5-7 working days for an ordered paper statement to come!

..and
    No, the surveyor want my ID. There's no point going in and seeing them, as they themselves don't certify documents

The email says:
    In order to comply with the current Money Laundering Regulations, and the rules of the Law Society, we are required to ask all new clients to provide appropriate identification before we commence acting.

We would, therefore, be grateful if you would provide us with the following:

1. A photo ID such as your driving licence or passport, and

2. A proof of address, dated within the last three months, showing your name, such as a utility bill (Gas, Electricity, Water), current Council Tax bill, Bank/Building Society/Credit Card statement, or Mortgage statement.

Please do not send any originals, but supply copies of the original certified by a Solicitor, we confirm we do not accept ID certified by the post office. Please either send it by post or scanned by email.

Why delete a post, when it's a perfectly sensible question? I suspect toys thrown out of pram because the OP muddled up surveyor & solicitor...

Edit.. Curse you G_M... back to your gin and digestives with you! :mad: ;)
  • hazyjo
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Cached...

..and

Why delete a post, when it's a perfectly sensible question? I suspect toys thrown out of pram because the OP muddled up surveyor & solicitor...

Edit.. Curse you G_M... back to your gin and digestives with you! :mad: ;)
    I suspect they're more likely to be confusing surveyors with estate agents. Very annoying to delete though as you say.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    hazyjo wrote: »
    I suspect they're more likely to be confusing surveyors with estate agents. Very annoying to delete though as you say.
    Estate agents
    a) don't need to verify ID and

b) don't need to comply with the Law Society rules
  • hazyjo
    G_M wrote: »
    Estate agents
    a) don't need to verify ID and

b) don't need to comply with the Law Society rules
    Didn't think so either, but, on googling last night, there appears to be grey areas and many are taking a blanket approach of just ID-ing everyone. Utterly pointless, but I couldn't be @rsed to argue with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport