Used Car Faults

Comments

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    When I was selling cars, if we had an older car with non working aircon that had a more costly problem than a simple regas then I would deliberately not mention it in the advert.

Then if a month later the customer called and said the aircon didn't work I would say that I never even knew it had aircon, and never advertised it as so.

I once sold cars too, as a Workshop foreman I would not have had a job for long with an attitude like that. I have also advertised cars with non-working Aircon, but have included the "non-working" part in the ad. On enquiry by a potential customer, I would have a price adjustment ready for a fix.

Our trade was very much local and subject to local reputation.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    The best option for you is to go back to the car dealer with the report of the aircon fault. The car should be in the condition described in the ad. The report tells otherwise. As the car is in the three month warranty period the dealer should solve the issue. In this case you have the upper hand.
  • sjw3915
    sjw3915 Posts: 35 Forumite
    I have exactly the same problem with air con not working. Bought the car which is 6 years old a week ago. As far as I can see it's the seller's responsibility to point out any faults providing you haven't bought the car for something silly like 50 quid. This excludes things like dents or scratches which you can see before you buy. I'm looking at the Consumer Rights Act 2015 here. I think the distinction is that it doesn't matter if the car was advertised with air con or not- if it has air con built in the trader must highlight the fact it's not working. I believe from my understanding that you should give the trader a chance to fix it (one chance only) and then, if you want, fix it yourself and chase the trader for the money- perhaps as far as the small claims court although that would involve costs which you get back if you win.
  • sjw3915
    I have bought a second hand car which is 6 years old for market price.
    I have a warranty which seems pretty useless but my question is, if the car breaks down within 6 months can I claim under the Consumer Rights Act 2015? Is the trader responsible if the cambelt goes for instance?
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sjw3915 wrote: »
    I have exactly the same problem with air con not working. Bought the car which is 6 years old a week ago. As far as I can see it's the seller's responsibility to point out any faults providing you haven't bought the car for something silly like 50 quid. This excludes things like dents or scratches which you can see before you buy. I'm looking at the Consumer Rights Act 2015 here. I think the distinction is that it doesn't matter if the car was advertised with air con or not- if it has air con built in the trader must highlight the fact it's not working. I believe from my understanding that you should give the trader a chance to fix it (one chance only) and then, if you want, fix it yourself and chase the trader for the money- perhaps as far as the small claims court although that would involve costs which you get back if you win.

You could try all the facilities before completing the purchase.
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    I agree with the above post. You should inspect the car before purchase. If you don't have the skills you should bring a mechanic with you. There are mechanics out there who could do a pre-purchase inspection of the car. Ask your local garage.
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MrJones1 wrote: »
    I agree with the above post. You should inspect the car before purchase. If you don't have the skills you should bring a mechanic with you. There are mechanics out there who could do a pre-purchase inspection of the car. Ask your local garage.

I agree that if you are buying an old car for little money, (as I do:)), that will have a high chance of being a lemon, you either need to know what you are doing, or take someone with you who does.

You don't need this to turn the aircon on and off though! :)
  • bobbymotors
    bobbymotors Posts: 746 Forumite
    Robisere wrote: »
    I once sold cars too, as a Workshop foreman I would not have had a job for long with an attitude like that. I have also advertised cars with non-working Aircon, but have included the "non-working" part in the ad. On enquiry by a potential customer, I would have a price adjustment ready for a fix.

Our trade was very much local and subject to local reputation.

Well I sold 5000 cars in 12 years to many repeat customers.

If the ad didn't say aircon, then there was no aircon.

It worked for me: I don't see anything wrong in it - I absolutely did not misdescribe the car.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sjw3915 wrote: »

Unfortunately for you it's not as black and white as that.
  • sjw3915
    Im my case the car was described as having air con. It doesn't. So the car was sold not as described.THis is black and white.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure