Do you tip in restaurants?

Options

Comments

• stockton_2
    stockton_2 Posts: 336 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2017 at 12:09PM
    Options
    When I worked on cruise ships there was a strong expectation that a passenger would tip certain people, like their table waiter or bed-room steward. They would have spent a week or two with those people, and got to know them quite well. I always thought the waiters deserved their tips because they had to battle their way around the galley in competition with all the other waiters. It was very stressful and tempers ran high.

In restaurants these days I find that you can have several different waiters, one taking your order, another delivering your main course and then another asking if you want a dessert. Some-one else hands you your bill. You do not build up a relationship with any single one and so there is no inclination to reward any particular one.

I always used to leave a tip but now I am reluctant to do so. What really annoys me is when I have left a tip and there has been no acknowledgement whatsoever. A simple thank you would suffice but it seems like they have not even noticed that I gave them the tip.

I am talking here about the UK of course. In other countries (like the US) it is a totally different ball-game.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't know why but I always tend to tip even though I don't necessarily believe in it. I wonder how much I have spent on tipping for only average service over the years. Do think adding a service charge should not be allowed. Everyone should be able to pay what they feel without being pressurise to do so.

I think any additional charges should be incorporated in the price of the food & drink.
    It's a restaurant, bill for the meal to include delivery to the table!
  • Lukoind
    Lukoind Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I tip only if received service were good :).
  • bellanoisette
    bellanoisette Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2017 at 4:35PM
    Options
    I think the tipping culture is unfair espeically when supermarket staff often do a lot more for you and it's not allowed. I don't get out these days and online grocery places have a tip as default, I leave it on because i worry about removing it but think they must earn over £12 an hour with these tips and some are very rude and I have tipped in advance. Tipping in restaurants is awkward, I remember when I used to go out I felt obligated even though I was on a very low wage and went out once a month on payday as a treat and felt obligated to leave a tip (10-15% of bill is he equivalent of my hourly wage). Even dominos hang around for a tip even though their drivers earn the same/more than me an hour and I am only buying it as a rare treat that will feed me for 2 days :o
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ... and online grocery places have a tip as default
    Do they? Admittedly I've not done an online grocery shop for several years, but I don't recall ever seeing a 'tip' option.
    Stompa
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think the tipping culture is unfair espeically when supermarket staff often do a lot more for you and it's not allowed. I don't get out these days and online grocery places have a tip as default, I leave it on because i worry about removing it but think they must earn over £12 an hour with these tips and some are very rude and I have tipped in advance. Tipping in restaurants is awkward, I remember when I used to go out I felt obligated even though I was on a very low wage and went out once a month on payday as a treat and felt obligated to leave a tip (10-15% of bill is he equivalent of my hourly wage). Even dominos hang around for a tip even though their drivers earn the same/more than me an hour and I am only buying it as a rare treat that will feed me for 2 days :o

I can't believe you are located in the UK, are you originally from the USA as you say "grocery places" and refer to "10-15%" tips.

Why would you tip when shopping online before you have even received the service?. I have never tipped a delivery driver and it is extremely rare that i tip in a restaurant and i have never felt obliged to do it.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i dont believe in tipping, it seems to have come about as a result of serving staff been underpaid and expecting to make up low wages with tips.
  • Destabilising
    Options
    I always tip if I go out for dinner, even if their service wasn't that great. I'm a firm believer in the fact that my waitress/waiter is pretty much the messenger, and 'don't shoot the messenger'. I'll never understand people that shout at the waiter/waitress about their food taking a long time when it's obviously not them cooking it.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I always tip if I go out for dinner, even if their service wasn't that great. I'm a firm believer in the fact that my waitress/waiter is pretty much the messenger, and 'don't shoot the messenger'. I'll never understand people that shout at the waiter/waitress about their food taking a long time when it's obviously not them cooking it.
    But is your waiter/waitress not already getting paid to be the messenger? Why tip them but not the chef?
  • Destabilising
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    But is your waiter/waitress not already getting paid to be the messenger? Why tip them but not the chef?

9/10 they're being paid ridiculously low wages and a lot of waiting staff rely on tips to survive and live. One of my old housemates was a waitress and I've seen just how crappy their job can be and the amount of crap they get for things that aren't their fault.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback