Do I have the right to cancel this online order?

Options
What did you buy? Two bookcases
When did you buy it? February 2017
Where from? Internet
How did you pay? credit card
What went wrong? Ordered in Feb 2017, received email in March 2017 saying delivery delayed. Received email on 5 May 2017 saying delivery within 5 weeks. Now saying delivery end of July.
What are the vendors telling you? Now saying the bookcases have just gone into production. Estimated delivery July 2017.
What solution or remedy are you looking for? Refund/cancellation of order.

Can I cancel the entire order under Consumer Contracts Regulations?

Comments

• Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, have you asked for a cancellation and refund yet?
  • Koller32
    Koller32 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I originally asked if they would cancel one of the bookcases and they said they could sell one to another customer but can’t promise, they said they will see when it comes to the end of production and they will let me know. I am so cheesed off with this response and the long delay in delivery that I now want to cancel the entire order.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who is the company and is it a bespoke order? When you ordered in Feb what was the delivery timescale given?
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    are these being made specifically for you to your requirements. if this is the case then the Consumer Contracts Regulations states
    There are some circumstances where the Consumer Contracts Regulations won’t give you a right to cancel.

These include, CDs, DVDs or software if you've broken the seal on the wrapping, perishable items and tailor-made or personalised items.

Also included are goods that have been mixed inseparably with other items after delivery.
  • Koller32
    Options
    The company is chrissharpcabinets.co.uk and it was ordered from an online catalogue. There is no delivery timescale on the order confirmation (it is provided on previous order confirmations). This is the last batch of furniture the company is making and have been inundated with orders, so presumably do not want to be left with cancelled orders.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Koller32 wrote: »
    What did you buy? Two bookcases
    When did you buy it? February 2017
    Where from? Internet
    How did you pay? credit card
    What went wrong? Ordered in Feb 2017, received email in March 2017 saying delivery delayed. Received email on 5 May 2017 saying delivery within 5 weeks. Now saying delivery end of July.
    What are the vendors telling you? Now saying the bookcases have just gone into production. Estimated delivery July 2017.
    What solution or remedy are you looking for? Refund/cancellation of order.

Can I cancel the entire order under Consumer Contracts Regulations?
    You have up to fourteen days after delivery to cancel the order for any reason.

As the goods haven't been delivered yet, you are clearly within that timescale.

Send the seller an email explicitly cancelling the order.
    They must refund you within fourteen days of receiving that cancellation notice.

All that assumes that the goods were not made to your specification.
  • Koller32
    Options
    Just to clarify on the bespoke/tailor-made question. The furniture is made by the company, but the order was from their online catalogue.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think it may be like getting a DFS sofa which is ordered from thier catalogue but they make elsewhere, once the order is placed & accepted there is very little you can do outside of the 14 days....
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oakdene wrote: »
    I think it may be like getting a DFS sofa which is ordered from thier catalogue but they make elsewhere, once the order is placed & accepted there is very little you can do outside of the 14 days....
    If the goods are ordered online, as in the OP's case, and it is not made to the consumer's specification, then as I said earlier, the consumer can certainly cancel the order before delivery.

It would be different if they had ordered in store.
  • Koller32
    Options
    Many thanks for the advice provided. I will keep you informed about this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure