Samsung TV

Options
Hi
I'm new to this although I have been getting the mse email for years which is why I decided to go to this forum for advice. In January 2016 we bought a Samsung smart TV for £360 and in February this year it broke down. The backlight had broken and there was no display. I phoned Samsung about getting it fixed but they said the warranty had expired the previous month. They wouldn't budge even though a little research suggested this was a common fault. We paid £185 to get it fixed. Since then we've been told by a friend that they had heard Martin Lewis on the TV saying that this type of thing isn't right and that there was a letter on his site which would help us claim the £185 back from Samsung. I've had a look but can't find anything. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Desi1

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Who did you buy it from?
    If it wasn't directly from Samsung themselves then you have no comeback against them.

If it was a retailer then you may have some comeback but only if:
    a/ You contacted them before getting the repair done and gave them the chance to consider whether or not they would help and:

b/ You are able to prove that the fault occurred because of a manufacturing defect.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You have no rights to get the money back now.

There are many hoops you have to jump through to prove your case against who sold you the TV.

You didn't follow the proper procedure, you didn't prove the TV was inherently faulty so you can't get any recourse now.
  • Desi1
    Desi1 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hi
    We bought it on amazon but I thought warranty was with samsung which is why I contacted them. Anyway from what you say there is no way we can claim anything back. So that's that.
    Thank you for your quick replies.

Desi1
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Desi1 wrote: »
    Hi
    We bought it on amazon but I thought warranty was with samsung which is why I contacted them. Anyway from what you say there is no way we can claim anything back. So that's that.

Desi1

I know it's of little consolation now but if you have another issue in the future with an item which breaks down/ is delivered damaged etc then ask here and you will usually get good advice as to what your rights are and how to approach the seller/manufacturer to get the matter resolved.

Anecdotally the best place to buy TV's from would be John Lewis or Richer Sounds - both of whom provide 5 year warranties.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Anecdotally the best place to buy TV's from would be John Lewis or Richer Sounds - both of whom provide 5 year warranties.
    Now a six year guarantee with Richer Sounds. See here.
  • SouthUKMan
    SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    Really sorry to hear about your experience, but this serves as a useful reminder for all of us that in the event of goods becoming faulty, our case is with the retailer and not with the manufacturer. Even if the retailer says it's nothing to do with them - it is!
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    Desi1 wrote: »
    Hi

Desi1

If you bought it directly from Amazon they would have helped, they'd have probably just arranged a collection and a replacement tv. Unfortunately your chances of getting anything from them after the event are much lower.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 March 2017 at 1:12PM
    Options
    Bogalot wrote: »
    If you bought it directly from Amazon they would have helped, they'd have probably just arranged a collection and a replacement tv. Unfortunately your chances of getting anything from them after the event are much lower.
    The OP won't get anything after having the item repaired himself, though.

Amazon would certainly have done as you say within the first twelve months, but the item was purchased 13 months before breaking down. The procedure then is as described in posts #2 and #3.

All this assumes Amazon were the seller and not some third party trader.
  • Desi1
    Desi1 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I've certainly learned my lesson. And hopefully others will now know better.

Kind regards
    Desi1
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's really useful for people to read this kind of case. The first port of call, in most cases, should be the seller. That is who the contract is with. They have the ultimate responsibility for solving any issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure