PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

When did Dinner plates become so big?!

Comments

• katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I have an older style of Denby dinner service. The main plates are still quite large, the salad ones a bit too small. However, I do like leaving lots of space around the food as I think it looks nice and more presentable. You don't always need to fill the whole plate up.

If I put out a meal in serving dishes I tend to eat too much as I go back and refill. A set meal on the plate seems to "feel" just right for me.

Im finding it better to put veggies and / or salad in a serving bowl to be the best combo for us. That way I can return until my appetite is satisfied with lower calorie nutritious foods and still have nicely presented protein and a small portion of carbs on the big dinner plate. It's okay to fill up on the greens!

Making the meal presentable whatever it is (that also includes frugal ones) makes it satisfying, plus the option for extra fresh veggies or salad makes for a fulfilling meal.

Hence I'm ok with any plate! It's the foods that count...
  • I agree, bigger plates mean you put on more food. That's why I downsized my plates a good few years ago. I find it really difficult to find 9" plates though. I use the old large ones for my lunch sandwich as I can make it without getting the breadboard dirty :)
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    patricia50 wrote: »
    I watch a lot of cookery programmes like Masterchef Australia and it seems to be the fashion to have a big plate with a small amount of food on. I wonder if that is why there is this trend for large plates, not because people are filling them and eating more

Yes, it's not about piling it on now. It's about arranging it artistically.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is there nobody here with a bloody good appetite? You all seem to be saying you hardly eat anything, how do you survive?!

The plate size shouldn't make a difference to how much you eat, just put on the right amount of food. I have a physical job, physical hobbies and a physical home life and I eat mountains. I'm slim and if I don't eat like a horse (grazing all day plus 3 big set meals) I lose weight and suffer from fatigue.

Big plates are designed for aesthetic appeal, no doubting that. As mentioned by others, it comes from catering and TV chefery. Everyone thinks they're a masterchef contender!
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    Is there nobody here with a bloody good appetite? You all seem to be saying you hardly eat anything, how do you survive?!

It doesn't matter about appetite. It's what you put on your plate. We eat a lot of broccoli and it takes up a lot of space so I struggle to fit it all on a 30" plate with everything else.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A 30" plate! That I have to see. ��
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    When I moved into this area and had access to so much more fresh veggies (local farmers often invite neighbours to glean after a crop is harvested) I had to seek out much larger plates and it was only then that I realised how much space adult portions of, say, four or five vegetables take up.

At one time we were using restaurant style steak platters to fit it all on because otherwise we would have needed two plates - one for the meat, gravy and potatoes and one for the vegetables.

It's surprising how much space a knuckle of cauliflower, eight sprouts, a generous spoonful of carrot, a chunk of parsnip and some sauteed onion can take up unless you are of the ilk that piles the whole lot up into one unappealing slag heap. :)
  • SuzieSue
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    A 30" plate! That I have to see. ��

Sorry 30cm!
  • SuzieSue
    edited 13 October 2016 at 11:00AM
    When I moved into this area and had access to so much more fresh veggies (local farmers often invite neighbours to glean after a crop is harvested) I had to seek out much larger plates and it was only then that I realised how much space adult portions of, say, four or five vegetables take up.

At one time we were using restaurant style steak platters to fit it all on because otherwise we would have needed two plates - one for the meat, gravy and potatoes and one for the vegetables.

It's surprising how much space a knuckle of cauliflower, eight sprouts, a generous spoonful of carrot, a chunk of parsnip and some sauteed onion can take up unless you are of the ilk that piles the whole lot up into one unappealing slag heap. :)

Exactly and it is even worse if you don't eat meat and potatoes like us as they are much more filling and so take up less space on a plate than non-meat alternatives.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I bought smaller plates for my son too loose weight, I use them too ..
    I noticed they have small plates in those all you can eat buffets restaurants.
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family