Please help! Cifas , fraud marker, good credit score

Hi all in need of some advice as I am really struggling to sort this mess out .

Firstly I have a decent credit score even though I have never had any credit. I have 0 defaults and my only negative on my credit file is that I don't have a credit card. I can't get a bank account , car insurance , or any credit whatsoever as I get rejected for everything. I am 26 on the electoral roll for ages at same address. Having posted once on this forum before I was informed about cifas and that I may have a fraud marker against my name . This would make sense as I have had my identity stolen about 5 years ago (someone was driving around registering vehicles in my name and taking out insurance policies using my details) the police are aware of this however it never went to court.
I have not yet contacted cifas to see what details they hold about me (if any) however after registering for noddle and being told they have a section about cifas markers , my file on noddle shows that I have no cifas markers. Is noddle 100% accurate? Are there other agencies which may hold information on myself and maybe have registered a fraud marker?
I am really at the end of my tether with this , I believe it must be a fraud marker but is there anything else it could be why i get refused for even a basic bank account ? Also if it is a fraud marker is there any way of getting it removed ? As I said earlier the police are aware my identity has been stolen.

Thanks in advance , if any more information is needed will be happy to provide it

Comments

• Contact CIFAS to understand if you have a marker.

Check all three of your credit files to see what is on there.

Ignore your credit scores entirely - they mean nothing. If you have on credit history at all, and a potential CIFAS marker, you are going to find things tough.

What credit have you applied for to date?
  • I have checked all credit files possible. I am yet to contact cifas but will do that today. I have tried to open a basic bank account about 8 months ago and did not get accepted. I done the MSE eligibility calculator for credit cards on here was 100% likely to get accepted for several according to the calculator . Applied for one and got rejected. Also tried to get a very account to build my credit was also rejected. These were all spaced out months apart and not all done over a short period. I cannot get car insurance in my name either as that gets declined. If I have no markers on cifas are there other companies who may have placed a marker on me ? And how would I go about getting said marker removed? How long would marker stay on for ? Thanks again
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    You need to send a subject access request to CIFAS and pay £10:
    https://www.cifas.org.uk/sf_sars

National Hunter is the other one:
    http://www.nhunter.co.uk/SAR.pdf

Insurance companies also have a blacklist however you would need to work in insurance to be able to access it. Sort out whether you have a CIFAS marker first.

You would need to apply to the company who applied the marker to get them to remove it. If they refuse, you'll need to contact a solicitor and start legal action. CIFAS markers last 6 years.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    National Hunter maybe ? http://www.nhunter.co.uk/

edit: beaten to it
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi all in need of some advice as I am really struggling to sort this mess out .

Firstly I have a decent credit score even though I have never had any credit. I have 0 defaults and my only negative on my credit file is that I don't have a credit card. I can't get a bank account , car insurance , or any credit whatsoever as I get rejected for everything. I am 26 on the electoral roll for ages at same address. Having posted once on this forum before I was informed about cifas and that I may have a fraud marker against my name . This would make sense as I have had my identity stolen about 5 years ago (someone was driving around registering vehicles in my name and taking out insurance policies using my details) the police are aware of this however it never went to court.
    I have not yet contacted cifas to see what details they hold about me (if any) however after registering for noddle and being told they have a section about cifas markers , my file on noddle shows that I have no cifas markers. Is noddle 100% accurate? Are there other agencies which may hold information on myself and maybe have registered a fraud marker?
    I am really at the end of my tether with this , I believe it must be a fraud marker but is there anything else it could be why i get refused for even a basic bank account ? Also if it is a fraud marker is there any way of getting it removed ? As I said earlier the police are aware my identity has been stolen.

Thanks in advance , if any more information is needed will be happy to provide it

There is a fine example how useless a decent credit score is.
  • Would my SAR from cifas tell me what company applied the marker?

As said earlier my noddle credit report shows I have no cifas markers. Is this usually accurate?
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Would my SAR from cifas tell me what company applied the marker?

As said earlier my noddle credit report shows I have no cifas markers. Is this usually accurate?

Yes it should tell you what company applied it (if there is one).

No, the Noddle reports in that respect are not accurate; I've read threads on here before where people thought they didn't have a CIFAS marker because they checked their Noddle report, however when they sent off a SAR only to find that they did.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • john1002
    john1002 Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Noddle and all the other agencies only show CIFAS markers on credit reports that relate to identity theft not any thing to do with fraud, hence when you have checked it shows nothing.

john
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    "Marker" is the new MSE word of the moment, "Cifas Marker" , "Minimum Payment Marker" etc., etc., etc.

A CIFAS warning warns lenders that you've been a victim of fraud and to be careful to validate your identity. It can be inserted by lenders or voluntarily by yourself. It doesn't say you've committed fraud yourself and shouldn't affect credit applications.

If you have been a victim of fraud the CIFAS warning is a good safeguard against further fraud.
  • So a quick update on current situation...

Applied for an aqua credit card couple of weeks ago and to my amazement card and pin dropped through the letter box on Friday! So happy, finally managed to get some sort of credit to start rebuilding and managing my money. Considering only a year ago I couldn't get a basic bank account or car insurance to now get a credit card is a big step forward.

But this has left me wondering, does this mean i don't have a CIFAS? Surely aqua would not have given me a credit card if I had any sort of marker with a fraud agency ? Have sent 2 SAR requests away one to national hunter and the other to CIFAS done this about 7 days ago. So at the moment just waiting on my SAR coming back in the post. How long does this usually take ? Am I right in thinking I wouldn't have got a credit card with a fraud marker ?

Anyway over the moon at the moment with my credit card gives me the start I need to rebuild and work my way towards a mortgage !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure