PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

When did Dinner plates become so big?!

Comments

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    jack_pott wrote: »
    My plates are about 35 years old and 9"x12" oval, I couldn't get by with smaller ones. I've seen the experiments showing that small plates encourage smaller portions, but I want to see some evidence that people don't just end up feeling hungry sooner and then eat between meals.
    I certainly don't eat between meals; and if for whatever reason we're late having breakfast, I don't bother with lunch at all, or I'd be unable to eat my dinner. :(
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi

I can totally relate to this post. Deciding to get a new dinner service ...only wanted plain white.... only wanted 10in plates .... Could I find them? Could I heck as like. Got fed up of looking on t'internet and then getting to the shop and seeing them close up only to find I didn't like the quzlity.

I ended up going to a shop that had recently opened called Nisbetts. They supply catering equipment to trade and public. Day we popped in they hadn't opened (DH had spotted it en route to work and thought they were open). Lovely man in there let us have a quick look around to see if they stocked what we wanted. He then told us to come back the following week when they were holding a promotion dY with 20% off. We got 12 of the 10in dinner plates and 10 side plates for about 50 pound with discount off. We also got a goodie bag that had an apron, tea towel, and good quality ice cream scoop in. They hzve washed so well. I'm well chuffed. Let's hope it's another 20 years before I need another set.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    This thread has given me the willies since it was started cos my plates are big :(

Finally plucked up the courage to measure them, and just six inches ( phew)

They are bigger, but they have a 2 inch rim

I don't put food on the rim :)
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    freyasmum wrote: »
    I was ALWAYS told that I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I had finished my heaping plateful, and even as an adult I've had to ask for much reduced portions when visiting home. I also grew up overweight and had to teach myself as an adult what proper portions were. I still hate wasting food though, so sometimes I do still eat more than I need :o I am working on it though!

As a result, I hate serving portions for people and much prefer to have a pot from which they can help themselves, according to their appetite.

I despise heaping platefuls - they really put me off, and I don't know where to start!

I'm with you on heaving platefuls - I feel sick looking at one in front of me.

Food was my mother's passion. She was the best cook I've ever known and I've yet to find a restaurant that can serve food that was as imaginitive, fantastically well cooked, and beautifully presented. From a very, very young age we were told to help ourselves to what we wanted, and were expected to finish what we'd put on our plates. If we didn't - no pudding. It was very straightforward.

I still struggle when other people serve my food because only I know how hungry I am, or what I like and dislike, although I managed to force a liver casserole down the other day when it was plonked in front of me by someone who doesn't know me. As I guest on that particular occasion I felt I couldn't really say, 'Actually, the smell of this makes me heave.' For the first time ever I didn't salt my food and as a result it was so bland I could eat it. The plate was a big one, so yes, the hostess had made the food look generous and that made it even worse. I rather hope we're not invited back there.
    Better is good enough.
  • Slowly we have a carvery we go to sometimes, and I say exactly the same. They walk back to their table with the plate piled high with food and then leave half of it. I just think they are greedy, or as my dear Mum would have said "eyes bigger than their stomach" :)

Candlelightx

The way I see it is that if you pay for the food, it belongs to you, and you have the right to do what you want with it. Either eat it or leave it. It makes no difference to anyone else.

I always take a bit of everything and If it turns out that I dont like it, I leave it and eat the bits I do like.
    Meals are not meant to be an endurance test.
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    As houses and flats have shrunk in size, so dinner plates have increased. Most odd. I don't know where people are supposed to store all of this outsize stuff.

Yes! Sorry to go off topic, but why are so many chairs and couches twice the size they used to be, when they often have to fit into rooms half the size?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The way I see it is that if you pay for the food, it belongs to you, and you have the right to do what you want with it. Either eat it or leave it. It makes no difference to anyone else.

I always take a bit of everything and If it turns out that I dont like it, I leave it and eat the bits I do like.
    Meals are not meant to be an endurance test.

Yes! Sorry to go off topic, but why are so many chairs and couches twice the size they used to be, when they often have to fit into rooms half the size?

So they can accomadate the fat bums of the people eating from the large dinner plates perhaps?
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    My mum bought new plates but then went back to their old ones because of the size.

At home I am loathe to change my plates, as they are still quite new, and mainly unchipped, but when I do replace them I will definitely be looking for smaller plates, as I know I have a tendency to fill plates when serving out, and I was brought up to finish what was on my plate.
    Zebras rock
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    The standard Denby dinner plate has grown over time. (Strong case for sticking to the older patterns!)

What made my eyes cross when when they brought out "gourmet" plates - the only justification I could see for which would be acting as a charger plate. (Apart from boosting their sales.)

Yet I was persuaded into buying two, "just to see". I saw them not fit into my cupboard & removed them quietly to storage.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    To be honest, when eating out, I am just grateful if the food is served on a plate.

What is with this fad of serving food in slates, wooden boards etc the flippin' food falls off!!!! And why would I want 3 chips in a tiny frying basket, if I order chips, I want CHIPS, not Chips.

I agree that some places serve ridiculous portions, I order a pensioner portion at those places, and at home we have modest plate size, and eat a lot out of a bowl.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 October 2016 at 2:34PM
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    I still struggle when other people serve my food because only I know how hungry I am, or what I like and dislike, although I managed to force a liver casserole down the other day when it was plonked in front of me by someone who doesn't know me. As I guest on that particular occasion I felt I couldn't really say, 'Actually, the smell of this makes me heave.' For the first time ever I didn't salt my food and as a result it was so bland I could eat it. The plate was a big one, so yes, the hostess had made the food look generous and that made it even worse. I rather hope we're not invited back there.
    Oh gods, HB, you are a true heroine! I'd have been physically sick, there and then! :eek::eek::eek:
    I was going to say it's to accommodate fat a$$es resulting from eating the contents of piled-up large dinner plates, but Suki beat me to it. :D

My dinner service was actually a free gift from one of the catalogues, many years ago, when they were all competing for custom, and offering quite decent gifts with the first £25 order. I was trying to get fairly decent stuff for my house (having moved from a tiny flat) so it was easy to order £25 of things I actually needed, and I did several of those, and got a load of other much needed stuff for free! :money:
    When I divorced the ex, I brought the (totally intact and in fact had never been used) dinner service with me; it has been used by myself and the lovely DH I have now for the last 14 years. The plates may be a tad larger than ideal, but I won't buy new til we actually need to. :o
    ETA: I just went and measured the dinner plate that's sitting in the drying rack (DH ate lunch, I didn't) and they are nine and three quarters inches in diameter, with a three quarter inch rim, giving an eight and a quarter inch diameter "serving surface".
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure