PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

When did Dinner plates become so big?!

Options

Comments

• melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    New_Me wrote: »
    Mine is the same, I've been working on training him to serve up less, and he can have seconds if required. Most times he is happy with the lesser amount.

At home it's not that much of a problem really, I just put enough on the plate, and seconds can be eaten, but like yourself, more often than not, it is not needed. Just shows you.

The problem is when we go out to eat, which is more often now that we have both retired!

I eat very slowly and it drives most people mad, I can't help it, so I often just have a starter as a main with a side of veg and maybe some garlic potato or something. On the other hand OH will have a starter, and a main, and we will more often than not finish at the same time!

It's not a crime to be like him, but it shows how much people differ in their eating habits.
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Hiya

Just quickly before I go to bed!!

I inherited some of my Mum's Mum's Mum's plates, cups and saucers. Delicate china and beautiful. FAR smaller sizes. When I mentioned it to Mum while she was alive she said that they had far less food to put on them in those days! :D

I agree that the 'supersizing' of plates/portions/putting food on non standard things like slates or boards masks how much more folks are eating and that I believe it is likely to be contributing to obesity in this country. :eek:

I think it started in the 80s when fast food and chain restaurants imported from the USA really took off in the UK. Look at 'Fatty Arbuckles' or other American diners - all huge portions that I can never finish (exception is GBK which is a more recent import and its USP is healthy food).

Would be interested to hear what others think as to when this happened????
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 October 2016 at 12:42PM
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    That is awful!

Can't you just go back for a second helping if you need one?
    There are two types of carvery:
    - you can only go once
    - you can go back as often as you like.

They are often not clear as to what the "rule" is.... but I do ask/check.

I used to go to a carvery on Xmas Eve with my friend and that was a "one visit only" carvery, but it was a good one.

I'd prefer the "as often as you like" type, but you can't choose how they run their business.
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Throwing food away is bad enough, but it's even worse when it's an animal that has had its life extinguished because someone might wish to eat it if there is more room in their gut!
    I don't have the meat. I worked out the first time that there's no point having the meat as it's buried under the other food and you don't get to it until you're full ... so, instead, I pay £1-2 less by asking for just a plate/no meat.

I am also grossed out by the way they cut/slice the meat - they cut straight through the fat and skin ... ewww.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just like portions have got bigger in many pubs and restaurants so have plates. Hungry Horse type places used to have huge, oval steak plates at one time.

Often it's not the 'food' part of the plate that's big but the rim that's got bigger in some restaurants. That way they can cut back on portion size but it still looks impressive. I've bought a different sort of pasta plate (bone china in Wilkos ) that has a large rim but a relatively small 'bowl'. They're great for pasta or chilli type meals.

I have medium sized plates (used for lunch or cooked breakfast) but the large ones are fine for dinner it's what you put on them that matters! I eat large mains with loads of veg but don't have puddings.

All my everyday crockery is white china, mainly from Wilkos. Asda used to do it but I think they've stopped although I've seen some in Home Bargains too.
    http://www.wilko.com/all-dinnerware/wilko-best-pasta-bowl-bone-china-white-large/invt/0308484
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I was a child, any uneaten food was given back as the next meal, even if that was the next day's breakfast, such was the pressure to eat up everything on the plate.

I still feel awful guilt if I leave anything, which is why I dread going out for a meal. I have a really tiny appetite, and even just a starter is often more than I can eat at a sitting. I wish to goodness restaurants would offer "small portions" as an option (as distinct from the childrens' menu) for people who don't eat a lot.

I don't think I could stand going to one of those "all-you-can-eat" places - just the sight of a stacked-up to overflowing plate, even if it's in front of someone else, makes me feel ill. :(

Oh yes, and because I was always a slow eater as a child, I was constantly nagged to hurry up and finish my meal.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • PinkGladioli
    Options
    I find the diameter of my modern plates may be bigger but they have an inch wide raised sort of lip bit round the edge, older plates tend to have a much narrower lip so you can fill them out to the edge.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As houses and flats have shrunk in size, so dinner plates have increased. Most odd. I don't know where people are supposed to store all of this outsize stuff.
    Better is good enough.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You need large plates if you don't eat meat or potatoes like us as you need more vegetables and they take up a lot of space.

I use 11" plates for myself and 12" for my husband as he is messy and half his dinner would end up on the table otherwise.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My plates are about 35 years old and 9"x12" oval, I couldn't get by with smaller ones. I've seen the experiments showing that small plates encourage smaller portions, but I want to see some evidence that people don't just end up feeling hungry sooner and then eat between meals.
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Out of interest, I measured my 'occasion' plates and they are 10.5", but they have a pattern around the outside that I would be hesitate to hide with food, so the usable space is rendered around 7.5". If I were entertaining, we'd have three courses and that is a LOT of food.

I'm guessing that the fashion has come from fancy restaurants, the same as square plates and slates. It's the same as the catwalk trends filter through to the high street.
    melanzana wrote: »
    I have white Breakfast plates. They are just the perfect size, 9 inches in diameter.

But I do use larger dinner plates with guests! Just for show LOL.

Re the stuffing your face issue at an open buffet. I just can't do that. It would make me sick. I absolutely detest an overflowing plate Ugh. But each to their own. I rarely leave anything behind though!

My OH, on the other hand is what I can only describe as a scoffer. He has NEVER left as much as a scrap of lettuce on a plate. But he does work it off (I think). I am constantly having a go about the fact that never leaves ANYTHING on the plate whether he is full or not!

He says it comes from his childhood growing up in deep countryside where you ate what you were given and were very glad of it. His parents made a show of giving anything left on the kids plates to the dogs and chickens. Never left anything on the plate then, and continues to this day!
    I really identify with him, I was brought up being told that there were starving children and babies in Africa (and replying back that they were welcome to send the excess food over to them :o).

I was ALWAYS told that I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I had finished my heaping plateful, and even as an adult I've had to ask for much reduced portions when visiting home. I also grew up overweight and had to teach myself as an adult what proper portions were. I still hate wasting food though, so sometimes I do still eat more than I need :o I am working on it though!

As a result, I hate serving portions for people and much prefer to have a pot from which they can help themselves, according to their appetite.

I despise heaping platefuls - they really put me off, and I don't know where to start!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure