MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you give a stranger £3?

1111213141517»

Comments

• Definitely not. If the train fare is only £3 it can't be that far. Why can't she walk? I wouldn't ask someone if I were in that situation so why should I give to someone with the audacity to ask me as a stranger? Def a scam!
  • prasm
    prasm Posts: 3 Newbie
    I will offer to buy a ticket than handing over cash. Have seen this happening several times as a con at several stations.

Once this person asked me saying he need just 20 p to make a call to his friend..I offered that it will be easier if he tells me the number and I can call from my cell on his behalf and he said he will get the number and then he disappeared pronto...:)

In nutshell not a good idea parting with our hard earned cash to some sloppy con artist....I mean if you want to fool me atleast be innovative to deserve it...:rotfl:
  • Sadly and shallowly... it would depend if she was cute or not, how sad am I
  • dianauni
    dianauni Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If I had the cash on me I MIGHT go to the ticket office with her to buy the ticket but having been conned on several occasions I am now very suspicious. This is sad because the stranger could be quite genuine. Many years ago in America I was lent $100 by a girl who hardly knew me but we did have a mutual friend but that was no guarantee that she would receive her money. Of course I re-imbursed her as soon as I returned home and I have never forgotten her kindness and generosity. Therefore I have lent money over the years to various people and am still waiting for it to be repaid! I always say NEVER again but then someone comes up with a sob story but now I think long and hard before lending cash.
  • dianauni
    dianauni Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Years ago when I was running my own shop I asked someone who I knew as a customer if she would do me a favour. Her reply, said with a friendly smile, has stayed with me for years "Yes, of course, unless it is to do with lending money or babysitting". All I wanted was for her to stand guard in my shop while I went to the loo! We both had a good laugh about it but what a good way to avoid giving offence. I should have copied her - see message above! I would be richer today if I had.
  • Mar.cresham
    Mar.cresham Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    Iv fell for this before :mad::mad::mad:
    09 Wins= 5 Rugby balls, 3 Football. A cricket ball. 6 Books. A subway, A T.Shirt, 2 Durex Goody Bags, Beyonce tickets X 7 SETS A Magnum card. 2 glamour wins. Coffee, Jewellery. Moble Phone
    :A
    Be nice and hit Thanks
  • Suzey
    Suzey Posts: 2,713 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forgot to mention, some people don't even bother with the sob story first! This guy just said "excuse me, can you give me 60p for the bus?" He wasn't wearing rags and had just finished a day's shopping by the looks of it. I can't believe people are so unashamed about begging.

Suze

Suzey wrote: »
    Tonight I was in town and some guy asked me for 60p for the bus, I said no.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure