Help with savings accounts.

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone could help me, I am currently with Yorkshire Bank & have a current account plus so have a savings account with this.

I am currently saving for a car and would like to know if anyone could advise me a good savings account with a high rate of interest, as the savings account that comes with my current account doesn't have one?

Hope this makes sense, I've never opened another account so I'm not very clued up on these things.

Thank you for your help,

Andrea.

Comments

• Going to risk sounding really stupid here, what what's a CD? I will check out that website now so thank you for your help.
  • gozomark
    gozomark Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2009 at 4:33PM
    RunnerRob wrote: »
    if you want better rates than can be found in a savings account, you might want to think about a CD. Also, check w w w. b a n k r a t e s . c o m (sorry, this annoying site will not allow me to post links). This might be helpful to you.

if this site is so annoying, why do you bother visiting ?

anyway, the website you mention is a US one
  • evenasus
    evenasus Posts: 11,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 April 2009 at 6:03PM
    RunnerRob wrote: »
    (sorry, this annoying site will not allow me to post links)

Yes it does! http://www.bankrates.com/

Or you can even Bank Rates

This link is a USA site by the way, so I take it that is where you're posting from.
  • evenasus
    evenasus Posts: 11,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just noticed that RunnerRob has SPAM in his signature.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    He does have spam. I want to know what a CD is too.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • nilrem_2
    nilrem_2 Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

I am currently saving for a car and would like to know if anyone could advise me a good savings account with a high rate of interest, as the savings account that comes with my current account doesn't have one

Hello Andrea
    It's not easy to answer really as it's not easy finding high rates of interest at the moment.

Do you wish to add the cash a bit at a time or are you thinking of depositing a sum in one go? can you leave the amount in for a fixed amount of time or do you want easy access to the money?

Fixed rates are paying the best rates ATM but some banks are offering regular savings accounts where you can pay in so much a month and they pay a good rate.

If you give us some more details we may be able to suggest some places for you. :)
  • nilrem wrote: »
    Hello Andrea
    It's not easy to answer really as it's not easy finding high rates of interest at the moment.

Do you wish to add the cash a bit at a time or are you thinking of depositing a sum in one go? can you leave the amount in for a fixed amount of time or do you want easy access to the money?

Fixed rates are paying the best rates ATM but some banks are offering regular savings accounts where you can pay in so much a month and they pay a good rate.

If you give us some more details we may be able to suggest some places for you. :)

I currently have about £1,300 in my savings and would like to put more into this possibly a couple of hundered each month as I get paid monthly. This is for a car so I would like to be able to withdraw the money when needed, although would probably like to leave some in as I think it's important to set some aside for a rainy day lol.

Thank you for your help =] really appreciate it, as I haven't a clue.
  • Geoffo_M
    Geoffo_M Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    HSBC have quite a good regular saver at the moment, paying a decent 8%. You have to open a current account and pay your salary in each month. Savings £25 -£250 per month

details here:-
    http://www.moneyfacts.co.uk/money/savings/default.aspx?TabID=0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family