PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• actually having been there today I have changed my mind about air to air performance. It did keep the chill off but no more than, it was boosted with electric. A singing dancing modern one might be better, I must say that the box just below the ceiling looked clumsy. I will definitely look into getting one but may not, depends on what is already in the house. I did read about the dust being raised by the moving air, I don`t like that. The jury is out
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Air source to wet heating is very different to air source to forced air. It's worth looking at the different options.

A lot of my neighbours are replacing their oil-fired CH with air to wet underfloor heating which combined with solar thermal and solar PV and LED lighting means very low running costs (although the new almost-passiv-house is clearly much cheaper to run than the retro-fitted old cottage but BOTH have lower running costs that conventional oil fired CH. I'm not sure the comparison with gas would be as good at the moment).
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    At last!DHs sorted out his old VHS tapes - 2 bags will go to the tip as they're ones he recorded from the TV but there's also a bag of original recordings - does anyone know if any of the CS take them and if so which ones?? Long shot but there's stuff that maybe some older people would like (full set of Duchess of Duke street) and some musicals etc
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    silvasava wrote: »
    At last!DHs sorted out his old VHS tapes - 2 bags will go to the tip as they're ones he recorded from the TV but there's also a bag of original recordings - does anyone know if any of the CS take them and if so which ones?? Long shot but there's stuff that maybe some older people would like (full set of Duchess of Duke street) and some musicals etc

Might be worth phoning a few local ones to you to check but I know none in my local towns take them. You could always try popping them on freecycle or similar.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Very interesting to read about the rapeseed problems.

I have an allergy to a very specific fungal spore which is unfortunately common where I currently live (to the extent that I used to have to live elsewhere during spore season). I bought one of those Dys0n air filter fans and the difference has been incredible. Don't know if one of those might help anyone?
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pooky wrote: »
    Might be worth phoning a few local ones to you to check but I know none in my local towns take them. You could always try popping them on freecycle or similar.

It's scary about video tapes. My local charity shops don't seem to want them. I think they just go into non-recycleable waste at the tip. Just think of the billions of tapes that will eventually end up that way.

I've still got quite a tape collection, and we still have 2 VHS recorders. When we move and I retire, I plan to watch some of the complete series whilst I'm ironing as I don't think my new ironing room will have a TV aerial in it.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    you could post or gumtree or a local selling page offering the videos free to a collector - there my be someone who would take them off your hands
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for the Iink Greenbee -but at £174 for a medium box and I'd need 3 they're a bit out of my price ranqge. Not very conducive to responsible disposal :(
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 February 2018 at 11:28PM
    silvasava wrote: »
    If air source heating is similar to blown air it leaves a current of cold air about 18 inches off the floor so your feet are permanently cold!

I have the exact same problem (warm air heating). It's been more noticeable this year than ever. I have to wrap my feet in a fleece in the evenings, when the thermometer at table height shows 20ºC :snow_laug It feels like paddling in a cold sea otherwise, at the point where it's beginning to make your ankles and lower legs ache. It also overheats the bathroom while the small bedroom is cold. Never mind, I've survived colder (but not as long) winters in the 15 years I've been here and I hope to be moving this year.

Just seen Kittie's post and I have to confirm that blown heating (although mine is vents in the floor) blows an enormous amount of dust up onto window sills, tops of cupboards and all the usual horizontal surfaces. The folk moving into these bungalows lately are replacing it all with wet systems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure