Dissatisfaction with SSE

jbuchanangb
jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Hello

In February I took over responsibility for the energy account at a residential property, as a representative of the landlord. This was because the tenant had moved out, and until a new tenant is found the landlord has to pick up the tab, and I handle the landlord's finance. The landlord is a registered charity.

I found that the energy supplier was SSE, so I called them and opened an account.and gave them the opening readings, which were the same as those which the tenant had informed me, and which matched the meter readings.

I gave them the readings on 14 Feb. I then registered for an on-line account, which worked fine. Because the property is unoccupied, I decided to give SSE meter readings every 2 weeks, so that they don't generate any estimated bills based on typical domestic usage or whatever the previous tenant might have been doing.

So, after two weeks, on 2 March, I logged on to the on-line system, found the place to enter the readings, and the system refused to accept them. OK. So I call SSE's phone line, and choose the option to enter the readings into the automated meter reading system. It does not recognise the account number. So I have to call again, wait a suitable length of time on hold and speak to a call centre operator to put in the readings.

Two weeks go by, it is the 19 March. Same process. On-line system won't accept readings, automated phone system won't recognise account number, speak to call centre. I complained about this difficult process. I was told that the on-line system won't accept readings until the first bill has been issued.

No panic, thinks I. Account has been open a month, will soon get a bill. On 2 April, a repeat of the same performance. Gas has consumed zero units, electricity has consumed 3 units. Call centre did not seem to bothered by that when I explained that the property was unoccupied.

Today, 16 April. I din't bother with on-line, or try the automated phone system, went straight through to the call centre choosing the option for "problem with your bill". There is a problem. I haven 't had one. So I gave the guy the meter readings, gas consumption zero units again, electricity 3 units, and asked him why I hadn't got a bill.

He says I won't be getting one until sometime in May. I said, please put me on monthly billing. I want to keep close control. He says they only offer quarterly or half-yearly billing.

Well, I have escalated this whole thing as a complaint. I have never dealt with SSE before, but at my own house I have dealt with several different energy companies, now with So Energy, previously with First Utility, and I have never had such a problem as not being able to enter meter readings on-line, or not being able to have monthly bills.

They said they will have someone call me tomorrow to discuss my complaint.

Hopefully we'll get a tenant soon, and I can close the account.. I might suggest to the new tenant that they change supplier at the earliest opportunity!

Anyone else had such horrendous experience with SSE?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    That is a horrendous experience??
  • FullForce
    FullForce Posts: 177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello

In February I took over responsibility for the energy account at a residential property, as a representative of the landlord. This was because the tenant had moved out, and until a new tenant is found the landlord has to pick up the tab, and I handle the landlord's finance. The landlord is a registered charity.

I found that the energy supplier was SSE, so I called them and opened an account.and gave them the opening readings, which were the same as those which the tenant had informed me, and which matched the meter readings.

I gave them the readings on 14 Feb. I then registered for an on-line account, which worked fine. Because the property is unoccupied, I decided to give SSE meter readings every 2 weeks, so that they don't generate any estimated bills based on typical domestic usage or whatever the previous tenant might have been doing.

So, after two weeks, on 2 March, I logged on to the on-line system, found the place to enter the readings, and the system refused to accept them. OK. So I call SSE's phone line, and choose the option to enter the readings into the automated meter reading system. It does not recognise the account number. So I have to call again, wait a suitable length of time on hold and speak to a call centre operator to put in the readings.

Two weeks go by, it is the 19 March. Same process. On-line system won't accept readings, automated phone system won't recognise account number, speak to call centre. I complained about this difficult process. I was told that the on-line system won't accept readings until the first bill has been issued.

No panic, thinks I. Account has been open a month, will soon get a bill. On 2 April, a repeat of the same performance. Gas has consumed zero units, electricity has consumed 3 units. Call centre did not seem to bothered by that when I explained that the property was unoccupied.

Today, 16 April. I din't bother with on-line, or try the automated phone system, went straight through to the call centre choosing the option for "problem with your bill". There is a problem. I haven 't had one. So I gave the guy the meter readings, gas consumption zero units again, electricity 3 units, and asked him why I hadn't got a bill.

He says I won't be getting one until sometime in May. I said, please put me on monthly billing. I want to keep close control. He says they only offer quarterly or half-yearly billing.

Well, I have escalated this whole thing as a complaint. I have never dealt with SSE before, but at my own house I have dealt with several different energy companies, now with So Energy, previously with First Utility, and I have never had such a problem as not being able to enter meter readings on-line, or not being able to have monthly bills.

They said they will have someone call me tomorrow to discuss my complaint.

Hopefully we'll get a tenant soon, and I can close the account.. I might suggest to the new tenant that they change supplier at the earliest opportunity!

Anyone else had such horrendous experience with SSE?

My experience was they did bill us quarterly.

We never bothered submitting meter readings before a bill; we waited for the bill and if it was based on a reading that was significantly inaccurate (estimated), we calle the meterline number, gave the actual readings, and where this was done punctually, were informed that a new bill would be issued.

The meterline used to be a freephone number, but I understand it's now a chargeable number. :(

We waited for the revised bll, and then paid that. It suited us fine.

If you don't like what they offer, why not find a supplier more suited to your expectations and switch to them?

I note that you "might suggest to the new tenant that they change supplier at the earliest opportunity!". Why dont you take your own advice, and allow any future tenants to decide what they prefer themselves?
  • FullForce
    FullForce Posts: 177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Cardew wrote: »
    That is a horrendous experience??

As far as I can tell, the OP finds it horrendous that the supplier only bills quarterly or half yearly, yet the OP wishes to be billed monthly ... for something like 3kWh/month electricity consumption and zero gas usage.:cool:

Of course, we all know a zero standing charge tariff would be best for this situation, something that SSE do not offer, but no point suggesting moving to this board's favourite zero standing charge supplier, Ebico(RHE), as they too bill on a quarterly basis.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    FullForce wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, the OP finds it horrendous that the supplier only bills quarterly or half yearly, yet the OP wishes to be billed monthly ... for something like 3kWh/month electricity consumption and zero gas usage.:cool:

Exactly my point.

I wonder how much it would cost SSE to set up a 'bespoke' monthly billing system.
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I have spoken to a "complaints manager" now, and reluctantly accept that until they issue the first bill, none of their automated methods for entering meter readings will work. As the bill is due in about two weeks now, I will just have to wait but I will submit a further meter reading before the bill is due, to ensure accuracy. I have been told they can set their system to operate on zero estimates, so that my fear of excessive bills to challenge on an unoccupied property should be dealt with.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I would LOVE to be able to go back to quarterly billing, and where they send you a bill and you pay it at a time to suit you.

Unfortunately these days to get a decent rate tariff you are forced into monthly bills paid at a fixed rate each month by direct debit. I really hate that, but only put up with it and the extra hassle it creates to get a better rate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure