Don't want to spend my life in debt

Comments

• Reb2016
    Reb2016 Posts: 176 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2017 at 5:29PM
    Still suffering a bit, but was able to leave work early so that's helped, also I have Friday as holiday, so just got to get through tomorrow.
    Kittychick, and Narola1976 I think it's that time of year for feeling run down, hope neither of you get colds.
    Small disappointment today one of my eBay items was broken in transit, it's not covered by the courier, which I know before posting and decided to take the risk, bit of a shame and looking at the photos I think they must have played football with the parcel. Fingers crossed all the others arrive safely.

On the plus side I was waiting for a refund to come through and just realised than on my monthly spread sheet had accidentally put this as going out of my account rather than in and that is just a little more than the refund I've just had to do so they cancel each other out :)

Don't know about anyone else but I find this bit of the month the most hard, done most of the payments that I can and now it's a waiting game till the next payday, I think that's where this diaries really help to keep me focused.

Reb
  • Reb2016 wrote: »
    Don't know about anyone else but I find this bit of the month the most hard, done most of the payments that I can and now it's a waiting game till the next payday, I think that's where this diaries really help to keep me focused.

Reb

I feel exactly the same Reb, now that debts have been paid, there is nothing to do but wait! Like watching paint dry. The diaries really do help, reading others and posting on my own. I have learned so much. Right time for bed, feeling so tired, but then when I hit the pillow, I am wide awake.But I have an audio book so am going to listen to that in the meantime. Night night.
    Starting Total in September 2019 = £38287.77
    Current Total = £25534.10
    33% of debt paid off so far

Debt Free by Christmas September August July June 2023!
  • The waiting is the worst. It can really get you down and then it's tempting to spend to cheer yourself, up even though it's very counterproductive. That's where a lot of my debt came from I reckon, but you're right coming on here does help. Hope your cold gets better soon.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Narola1976 wrote: »
    I feel exactly the same Reb, now that debts have been paid, there is nothing to do but wait! Like watching paint dry. The diaries really do help, reading others and posting on my own. I have learned so much. Right time for bed, feeling so tired, but then when I hit the pillow, I am wide awake.But I have an audio book so am going to listen to that in the meantime. Night night.

I'm the same Narola! Tired out but as soon as I hit the pillow my mind goes into overdrive :mad:
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Hi Reb - shame about the broken package, sometimes happens.
    Keep at it. Doing well, but I always want the end of month to come a lot quicker! Get that debt going down!
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • Reb2016
    edited 8 September 2017 at 12:17AM
    Glad I'm not the only one that finds this bit of the month hard. Coming on here and reading the lovely comments and other peoples inspiring diaries really does help.

Hairy hand your right about it being tempting to spend to cheer myself up, just have to keep,the focus going.

Narola1976 hope you got to sleep in the end

Zippygeorgeandben thanks for your very motivating words.

Reached a £5 Amazon voucher on a survey site today, and had a lot of parcels arrive at work today, ( all work items paid for by work ) but because I sorted the delivery I was able to keep hold of the packaging which will be useful for my next lot of ebaying. It all helps.

And the cold is easing up, going to have a quiet weekend so that should get rid of the last of it.:)

Reb
  • MrJester
    MrJester Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hey Reb

You're doing awesome, definitely keep on reducing the limit on your overdraft. Same with credit cards.

It only takes one slip up on one day to undo all your hard work, believe me! Don't give yourself even the room to start making excuses

Will stick along for the journey!
  • Reb2016
    Thanks for your lovely words MrJester,:) all the support really helps.

So had an interesting conversation with my Sister today, and we have decided to stop Christmas and Birthday presents, and save the money for nice lunches out instead, (her idea) which I think is a much better idea, it's often difficult to know what to get, and much nicer to use the money on time spent together, I think I will now also broach the subject with my brother too.

Tomorrow I shall be some more things on eBay, be interesting to see how they go.

Happy weekend everyone
    Reb
  • MrJester
    MrJester Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Reb2016 wrote: »

So had an interesting conversation with my Sister today, and we have decided to stop Christmas and Birthday presents, and save the money for nice lunches out instead, (her idea) which I think is a much better idea, it's often difficult to know what to get, and much nicer to use the money on time spent together, I think I will now also broach the subject with my brother too.

Tomorrow I shall be some more things on eBay, be interesting to see how they go.

Happy weekend everyone
    Reb

Not a bad idea, if it means you are spending your money on meaningful experiences. Too often we waste our hard earned time (money) on things. When really its experiences that make us happier.
  • Reb2016 wrote: »

Happy weekend everyone
    Reb

I think that is a brilliant plan with your sister. You are right, time together is so much more important. We place an overemphasis on gifts - well I do any way...I overcompensate with my daughter as all our family live abroad so we (OH and I) are the only people she ever gets gifts from (not counting her mates of course), but starting to move away from that a bit.
    Starting Total in September 2019 = £38287.77
    Current Total = £25534.10
    33% of debt paid off so far

Debt Free by Christmas September August July June 2023!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure