Regular vs Electric Bike

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 September 2017 at 4:52PM
    I looked at Ebikes in depth when I first started to ride to work 4 years ago.

I thought there was no way I could cycle 10 miles each way. Years later I find it little effort at all and love the fitness. I was glad I never went for one. We have showers and lockers at work. I wear overalls so getting a little sweaty is no big deal.

There are some beautiful models out there and the technology is coming on fast.
  • scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I thought some bikes don't need you to contribute?
    My Izip Ezgo did nt need to have me pedalling at all but their latest models advertise that anything over 8 mph you have to rotate the pedals a little whilst the motor does all the work..So you can just sit there, freezing cold being bored witless , doing virtually nothing. What a terrible way of going a few miles.
    I got mine for my partner and she point blank refused to go on the thing, I dont blame her..Anyone thinking about getting one should try before they buy , and I don t mean a quick run round the block. Do 5 miles on the thing to see if you can stand it.
    They are not popular at all and I rarely see one on the open road. Hard bitten money savers may love them though ! factor in costly batteries every now and then, they don t last forever.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My Izip Ezgo did nt need to have me pedalling at all but their latest models advertise that anything over 8 mph you have to rotate the pedals a little whilst the motor does all the work..So you can just sit there, freezing cold being bored witless , doing virtually nothing. What a terrible way of going a few miles.
    I got mine for my partner and she point blank refused to go on the thing, I dont blame her..Anyone thinking about getting one should try before they buy , and I don t mean a quick run round the block. Do 5 miles on the thing to see if you can stand it.
    They are not popular at all and I rarely see one on the open road. Hard bitten money savers may love them though ! factor in costly batteries every now and then, they don t last forever.

Thats depends. I really don't use my second car much now at all. If owning one over a car was the choice then it would be a good one in my view.

There are two used at my workplace most days and I see a few on my journey to work often.

Things have moved on miles than a Izip Ezgo let's be fair.
  • My Izip Ezgo did nt need to have me pedalling at all but their latest models advertise that anything over 8 mph you have to rotate the pedals a little whilst the motor does all the work..So you can just sit there, freezing cold being bored witless , doing virtually nothing. What a terrible way of going a few miles.

:rotfl: No wonder your view of eBikes is so jaded if this

1251212243693-10lrt5r2iwame-630-80.jpg :eek:

is your only experience of them.

Try something like this

EASYGO-RACE-EBIKE-2017-800x500.jpg
    and see what you think. :D
  • I must admit I like the look of that, can t see a battery on it anywhere though. Its a bit pricey for an aluminium framed e bike at around £1k rrp and 16kg weight is a big lump to pedal on its own. I would certainly consider that if the doctor found some medical condition which made me slow down a bit.
    My current bike is an absolute dream to ride. So easy to pedal its a delight and just glides over the roads with little friction from the rock hard 23mm thin tyres..A little used Planet X all carbon fibre frame with lightweight quality groupset weighing less than 8kgs you can pick it up with one finger. Very responsive to pedal ,for only £600. That is a bike to aspire to. Lighter the better makes cycling a pleasure IMO. I ll be flying past the leccy bikes.. OK maybe not up the hills !
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ...can t see a battery on it anywhere though.

It's in that saddle bag.
  • I must admit I like the look of that, can t see a battery on it anywhere though. Its a bit pricey for an aluminium framed e bike at around £1k rrp and 16kg weight is a big lump to pedal on its own. I would certainly consider that if the doctor found some medical condition which made me slow down a bit.
    My current bike is an absolute dream to ride. So easy to pedal its a delight and just glides over the roads with little friction from the rock hard 23mm thin tyres..A little used Planet X all carbon fibre frame with lightweight quality groupset weighing less than 8kgs you can pick it up with one finger. Very responsive to pedal ,for only £600. That is a bike to aspire to. Lighter the better makes cycling a pleasure IMO. I ll be flying past the leccy bikes.. OK maybe not up the hills !

It's not about "aspiration" it's about the right tools for the right job.

Yes your bike is very nice (a bit heavy, my brother's self built comes it at around 6kgs ;), but he does go all over the Alps and follows the Tour de France circuit regularly) and if I was after a bike for pleasure/leisure/recreation then it would be an option.

But I don't want to cycle for recreation, I want a commuting vehicle to get me as cheaply and easily to and from work with a minimal amount of effort.

Horses for courses and all that.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    My Izip Ezgo did nt need to have me pedalling at all but their latest models advertise that anything over 8 mph you have to rotate the pedals a little whilst the motor does all the work.
    If that is the case, then the bike is not legal for UK roads. To be considered an EAPC, the power must only come in when the pedals are rotated. You stop pedalling, it stops helping you. If you can have power without pedalling, legally it's a motorbike and needs a helmet, licence, tax and insurance. My ebike has a twist throttle which means you can plod along without pedalling, but that model can no longer be sold here, and I never use it anyway - I can go faster by pedalling.

I find your attitude very condescending, I'm afraid.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Saga
    Saga Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am the wrong sides of both 40 and healthy unfortunately (cranky knees & more weight than I'd like). Am I very wrong to think that an ebike is a great commuting solution which is much cheaper to buy & run than a car and will allow me to travel 5-10 miles one way without getting sweaty or our of breath?
    ---
    100% debt-free!
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 November 2017 at 1:54PM
    Saga wrote: »
    I am the wrong sides of both 40 and healthy unfortunately (cranky knees & more weight than I'd like). Am I very wrong to think that an ebike is a great commuting solution which is much cheaper to buy & run than a car and will allow me to travel 5-10 miles one way without getting sweaty or our of breath?

You are not wrong to think that.
    It will do all of those things.

Visit the forum mentioned in post #4 and explore the possibilities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure