Morrisons has ended "Bags for Life"

Hi all,

I've found out that Morrison (the supermarket) is no longer offering bags for life.
They've changed the design on their 10p (ish) bags, all the old ones will be honoured and exchanged for the new design. Once you have this new bag, it won't be replaced for free.

Comments

• If you only have a week to live it is probably still going to be considered a "bag for life"

Or, if you count the time it takes for plastic to decompose, you could probably actually call it a "bag for 6 lives"
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Having accumulated approx 800 bags for life, this is untroubling.

I do hate bags for life though, they are 'too good' for what you actually need a lot of the time. People buy bags at the supermarket because they've forgotten their bags, not because they don't own any. Thin bags use much less plastic and so more environmentally friendly in the real world.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I regret this, largely on the grounds that I enjoy the varying aesthetics.

Still, if I am to collect pretty bags & only pay ten pence a time for them new, at least I'm not despoiling the environment nor bluing my money on more expensive totes.

I don't mind 10 pence for a bag that I can fold & reuse several times, that can handle a load of tins once (if not always twice) and that amuses the eye. A shame - I think the variety adds to life.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I always feel a bit of a money waster at the supermarket as when I'm spending £80 on a shop I never really see the point of bringing my own bags to save me the 30p it costs me to buy 6 carrier bags.

It's not enough of a financial penalty to encourage me to resuse the bags.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    I always feel a bit of a money waster at the supermarket as when I'm spending £80 on a shop I never really see the point of bringing my own bags to save me the 30p it costs me to buy 6 carrier bags.

It's not enough of a financial penalty to encourage me to resuse the bags.

A better reason to use the "bags for life", or similar, is that they are made of much stronger plastic. So the bottom doesn't fall out of the bag when you're halfway across the car park.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Ectophile wrote: »
    A better reason to use the "bags for life", or similar, is that they are made of much stronger plastic. So the bottom doesn't fall out of the bag when you're halfway across the car park.

In 45 years of shopping this has never happened to me.

You must overpack.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    In 45 years of shopping this has never happened to me.

You must overpack.
    Same here, I've never had an old plastic bag do this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure