Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Sam M
    • By Former MSE Sam M 13th May 15, 3:43 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Former MSE Sam M
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards
    • 13th May 15, 3:43 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards 13th May 15 at 3:43 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 4
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 29th Apr 16, 1:41 PM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    dj1471
    I got a creation card for my holiday on the 6th April, upon checking how it worked I was told to go on the MasterCard exchange site to find out the euro exchange and it told me on that day it would be 1.26 euro to the pound as the highest rate on Tenerife that day was 1.21 I went to a cash point and it told me that the rate would be 1.21, upon my return I phoned creation and they didn't have a clue about it the assistance asked me to hang on and when she came back she said it was MasterCard rate for that day I told her what the rate stated on the site and yet she didn't have a clue, I told her I would be paying the amount in full and cutting the card up as I am better searching around for a better cash rate.
    Originally posted by Francis65
    Sounds like you agreed to let the ATM operator do the currency conversion rather than your card issuer, you've therefore got their poor rate instead of getting the MasterCard rate.

Never agree to a rate of exchange during a purchase or withdrawal, ensure you are billed in the local currency.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 29th Apr 16, 4:19 PM
    • 4,655 Posts
    • 2,806 Thanks
    eDicky
    I went to a cash point and it told me that the rate would be 1.21,
    Originally posted by Francis65
    When the ATM shows you a rate, it is trying to catch you out with DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion) to make extra money for its operator, and plenty of people fall for it.

At that point it is also giving you two options; to accept that rate by selecting "Conversion", or reject it by selecting "Without Conversion", in which case it will take euros or whatever is the local currency and your card provider does the conversion. In the case of the Creation Everyday card that will be at the MasterCard rate.

Unfortunately it sounds like Creation CS are completely devoid of knowledge and training, to be so clueless - at least you knew that there was something wrong with the rates. . .
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 29th Apr 16, 4:38 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    When the ATM shows you a rate, it is trying to catch you out with DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion) to make extra money for its operator, and plenty of people fall for it.

At that point it is also giving you two options; to accept that rate by selecting "Conversion", or reject it by selecting "Without Conversion", in which case it will take euros or whatever is the local currency and your card provider does the conversion. In the case of the Creation Everyday card that will be at the MasterCard rate.

Unfortunately it sounds like Creation CS are completely devoid of knowledge and training, to be so clueless - at least you knew that there was something wrong with the rates. . .
    Originally posted by eDicky
    To be fair, we don't know how the Creation call centre tried to explain that it was that it was not they who levied the charge.
    Perhaps the customer simply did not understand the explanation. DCC is clearly explained on the website.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 30th Apr 16, 11:43 AM
    • 4,655 Posts
    • 2,806 Thanks
    eDicky
    To be fair, we don't know how the Creation call centre tried to explain that it was that it was not they who levied the charge.
    Perhaps the customer simply did not understand the explanation. DCC is clearly explained on the website.
    Originally posted by NiftyDigits
    Anyone with an understanding of the DCC problem would be able to immediately recognise it and give an explanation. It's true that we only have Francis' account of the conversation with the call centre, but it indicates the agent's lack of such understanding.

I have recently encountered some astonishing ignorance of CS staff about the product they are dealing with, including a UK based EE agent who tried to insist that there's a charge for incoming SMS when roaming. At least he learned something that day!
    • roscoecat
    • By roscoecat 2nd May 16, 12:38 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    roscoecat
    Hi, I'm using my Creation Everyday credit card abroad right now and have just checked my transactions.

Despite the card claiming not to have any charges for use abroad (see their website FAQ), I'm being charged something called "foreign fee savings" for each of my transactions which amounts to the 2.99% foreign conversion charges.

I'm feeling really cheated now, as I took out this credit card expressly for use abroad. I've contacted them via their secure message, and will update this thread once I get a reply.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 2nd May 16, 3:46 AM
    • 4,655 Posts
    • 2,806 Thanks
    eDicky
    Despite the card claiming not to have any charges for use abroad (see their website FAQ), I'm being charged something called "foreign fee savings" for each of my transactions which amounts to the 2.99% foreign conversion charges.
    Originally posted by roscoecat
    Are you sure it's actually a charge and added to your balance, or are they just pointing out what you save on each transaction compared to other cards?
    • amfield
    • By amfield 6th May 16, 12:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    amfield
    Creation card - confusing statements
    Hi, I've just returned from a trip to the US and checked my Creation statements; they are the most confusing ever!
    Top section has 'Foreign Fee Savings' as negative numbers, but no total of savings.
    Bottom section has transactions listed with poor rates (not MasterCard rates) and 'inc conversion fee of 2.99%') against each transaction - so it looks like you are being charged 2.99%.
    The total at the end of the statement is the total AFTER refunds are applied (this is not clear as the total before adjustments is not shown) - so the 'foreign fee' is the same thing as the 'conversion fee' and they cancel out.
    This took me 1/2 hr and manual checking in Excel to check I hadn't been swindled by false advertising!
    Feedback to Creation - the product is fine, need to work on making statements clearer; just using the MC rate and not adding/subtracting a fee would be much clearer!
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th May 16, 4:55 PM
    • 14,187 Posts
    • 12,315 Thanks
    zagfles
    Hi, I've just returned from a trip to the US and checked my Creation statements; they are the most confusing ever!
    Top section has 'Foreign Fee Savings' as negative numbers, but no total of savings.
    Bottom section has transactions listed with poor rates (not MasterCard rates) and 'inc conversion fee of 2.99%') against each transaction - so it looks like you are being charged 2.99%.
    The total at the end of the statement is the total AFTER refunds are applied (this is not clear as the total before adjustments is not shown) - so the 'foreign fee' is the same thing as the 'conversion fee' and they cancel out.
    This took me 1/2 hr and manual checking in Excel to check I hadn't been swindled by false advertising!
    Feedback to Creation - the product is fine, need to work on making statements clearer; just using the MC rate and not adding/subtracting a fee would be much clearer!
    Originally posted by amfield
    This would imply that they charge then refund the charge, which seems completely pointless unless the refund is just a temporary thing which they might remove at some stage in the future?
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 6th May 16, 6:08 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    This would imply that they charge then refund the charge, which seems completely pointless unless the refund is just a temporary thing which they might remove at some stage in the future?
    Originally posted by zagfles
    My Lloyds card used to do that (though helpfully the "refund" appeared in-line with the actual transaction). It will just be a limitation that their system can't discriminate between different card conditions when applying the 2.99% fee. Lloyds eventually fixed it but as you aren't actually out of pocket, I don't know if Creation would ever bother changing it.
    • Jenko-dog
    • By Jenko-dog 9th May 16, 9:46 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jenko-dog
    Post Office Travel Card is rubbish
    Hi all, not sure if it's me, but I find this website incredibly difficult to navigate. I wanted to share my experience of using the post office travel card on a new thread, but can't find how to do that, so I'll post it here and hope that it gets read.
    The PO claim that their card is widely accepted, but beware! If, like me, you purchased it for travel in Europe, especially France, it doesn't work on automated petrol stations. In Europe, these pay at pump type stations are more popular than staffed kiosks (it's the future, we won't need humans). Not only will the card be declined, but you are stood in an embarrassing queue, and then you have to resort to your usual credit card, which rips you off. Apparently this piece of info is in the T&C, buried deep in the hundreds of pages of waffle.
    So when you come back to UK, you have a large amount of euros still on the PO card, which they then tell you is buyable back at an extortionate rate, 1.45 at today's rate! It also takes 15 working days to get your money back, as they have to email, text or write to your home address with a code, which then has to be taken in person to a post office to exchange back. It CANNOT be done online.
    Also, each time your card is declined, it holds back an amount of euros, usually over 100, until the cancelled or declined transaction is verified.
    In future I'll just use my 1st Direct credit card, and take the hit.
    What a PO fiasco. No wonder they're going under.
    • Yolina
    • By Yolina 9th May 16, 10:38 AM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    Yolina
    You when you say the PO card, I take it you mean a pre-pay one rather than credit card since you mention having euros on the card? If so, I think that very few, if any, prepay cards work for pay at pump.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 9th May 16, 1:58 PM
    • 8,752 Posts
    • 14,232 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Hi all, not sure if it's me, but I find this website incredibly difficult to navigate. I wanted to share my experience of using the post office travel card on a new thread, but can't find how to do that, so I'll post it here and hope that it gets read.
    The PO claim that their card is widely accepted, but beware! If, like me, you purchased it for travel in Europe, especially France, it doesn't work on automated petrol stations. In Europe, these pay at pump type stations are more popular than staffed kiosks (it's the future, we won't need humans). Not only will the card be declined, but you are stood in an embarrassing queue, and then you have to resort to your usual credit card, which rips you off. Apparently this piece of info is in the T&C, buried deep in the hundreds of pages of waffle.
    So when you come back to UK, you have a large amount of euros still on the PO card, which they then tell you is buyable back at an extortionate rate, 1.45 at today's rate! It also takes 15 working days to get your money back, as they have to email, text or write to your home address with a code, which then has to be taken in person to a post office to exchange back. It CANNOT be done online.
    Also, each time your card is declined, it holds back an amount of euros, usually over 100, until the cancelled or declined transaction is verified.
    In future I'll just use my 1st Direct credit card, and take the hit.
    What a PO fiasco. No wonder they're going under.
    Originally posted by Jenko-dog
    Or you could get one of the CCs that doesn't charge for use abroad
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards?&_ga=1.113401287.1191730573.1435909936#seven
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4
    (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    YTD £698.85 (£500 offset)
    Jan £105.26, Feb £103.31,Mar £135.77, Apr £104.51, May £100, June £100, July £50

Everything will be alright in the end, so if itís not yet alright it means itís not yet the end
    • joeyd2006
    • By joeyd2006 17th May 16, 11:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    joeyd2006
    Balance Transfers To Interest Free Cards?
    Does anyone know if I could sign up to an interest free card alongside a travel card and transfer the balance to that, thus negating the charges on both?

Many thanks,

Joe
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 18th May 16, 8:21 AM
    • 4,655 Posts
    • 2,806 Thanks
    eDicky
    Does anyone know if I could sign up to an interest free card alongside a travel card and transfer the balance to that, thus negating the charges on both?
    Originally posted by joeyd2006
    The only difference with 'travel' credit cards is their absence of fees for overseas use, otherwise they function like any CC, if that's any help..?
    • joeyd2006
    • By joeyd2006 18th May 16, 8:41 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    joeyd2006
    thanks for such a quick response @eDicky

my thinking was that it's likely to be quite an expensive trip that I dont have the funds to totally cover, so if I put some onto a travel credit card, then do a balance transfer onto a 0% interest credit card with free balance transfers then I wont be pressed to pay it all off a week or two after I'm home before I start getting hit with high interest fees - I wasn't sure if this was possible

However reading some of the other comments in this thread I'm getting the impression these cards aren't all they're cracked up to be?

Cheers,

Joe
    • mae
    • By mae 20th May 16, 12:03 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    mae
    Hi

I am travelling to Dubai and wondering what is the best way of spending?

I do have the Halifax Clarity credit card which I use when I travel to Europe but is it still the best card to use in Dubai?

Thanks
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 20th May 16, 12:10 PM
    • 8,316 Posts
    • 10,685 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Hi

I am travelling to Dubai and wondering what is the best way of spending?

I do have the Halifax Clarity credit card which I use when I travel to Europe but is it still the best card to use in Dubai?

Thanks
    Originally posted by mae
    Pretty much so. There's a marginal case for Revolut prepaid.
    • crazycaro
    • By crazycaro 25th May 16, 10:28 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    crazycaro
    India
    Went to India last year, set up a card with ICICI bank, absolutely free, though exchange rates aren't top price but fair. Limit 50000 rupees (£500 ish) but can top up if you need more. no trouble getting cash (except on Monday when machines need refilling) or paying.
    Great service
    • adindas
    • By adindas 27th May 16, 11:11 AM
    • 3,888 Posts
    • 2,427 Thanks
    adindas
    What charges on "creation everyday credit card"
    I understand that this creation everyday credit card works exactly the same as Halifax Clarity card.e.g.
    - No Cash withdrawal fee,
    - you get the Mastercard Global Exchange rate.
    - You pay the interest on daily basis on the day the transaction is booked into the account

But why on the MSE article,
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards#creation

It is mentioned as“ … Low cash withdrawal charges

I understand interest is not the same with charges. Is there any other charges or just the daily interest to be paid ? What have I been missing here ??

Thanks
    Last edited by adindas; 27-05-2016 at 11:13 AM.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 27th May 16, 12:13 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    I understand that this creation everyday credit card works exactly the same as Halifax Clarity card.e.g.
    - No Cash withdrawal fee,
    - you get the Mastercard Global Exchange rate.
    - You pay the interest on daily basis on the day the transaction is booked into the account

But why on the MSE article,
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards#creation

It is mentioned asď Ö Low cash withdrawal charges ď

I understand interest is not the same with charges. Is there any other charges or just the daily interest to be paid ? What have I been missing here ??

Thanks
    Originally posted by adindas
    Possible interest...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

754Posts Today

5,637Users online

Martin's Twitter