Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Sam M
    • By Former MSE Sam M 13th May 15, 3:43 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Former MSE Sam M
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards
    • 13th May 15, 3:43 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards 13th May 15 at 3:43 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 3
    • JeffMinter
    • By JeffMinter 10th Mar 16, 2:22 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    JeffMinter
    Just came back from Norway after using the Revolut card... only worked once, for a 100kr ATM withdrawal. Had to use my ordinary bank card for the rest of the trip... spent over £50 on exchange fees as a result!!!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 10th Mar 16, 9:57 AM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 2,784 Thanks
    eDicky
    Just came back from Norway after using the Revolut card... only worked once, for a 100kr ATM withdrawal. Had to use my ordinary bank card for the rest of the trip... spent over £50 on exchange fees as a result!!!
    Originally posted by JeffMinter
    Can you say how it didn't work, declined at payment terminal, PIN problem, etc? Did it fail in ATM after the first time? Have you tried it back in the UK? Any indication of what the problem is?
    • scollyer
    • By scollyer 13th Mar 16, 2:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    scollyer
    I have also been refused with a credit score of 522
    • steadyed
    • By steadyed 16th Mar 16, 10:37 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    steadyed
    Using Creation overseas
    Given there are no fees on overseas spending/cash and only 12.9% interest on cash withdrawls, would it be possible to pre-load the card with cash before going on holiday and using the card just to withdraw cash while on holiday to avoid any charges on cash. Any left over cash at the end could be used up with "ordinary" spending afterwards. Is there a catch? Looks like would be more convenient than the standard pre paid cash cards.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 17th Mar 16, 3:46 AM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    Roger1
    Given there are no fees on overseas spending/cash and only 12.9% interest on cash withdrawls, would it be possible to pre-load the card with cash before going on holiday and using the card just to withdraw cash while on holiday to avoid any charges on cash ...
    Originally posted by steadyed
    Presumably you're talking about the Creation Everyday card. Other Creation cards don't have this facility.

What you suggest is against their terms and conditions - they may think you are money laundering - and the account may be closed. People probably do it but it's risky.
    • greensalad
    • By greensalad 17th Mar 16, 10:44 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    greensalad
    Used this card for 4 days in Paris and it was great. Paid it off as soon as I got home.

Wish the limit would be increased a little though as £1000 is usually fine for me if hotel is prepaid but it's a little too low for things like car hire etc

What limits have people got? I'm a high earner, poor credit, but no defaults/CCJs or lates. (Basically just a pay-the-minimum type for many years).
    • vatuwaqa02
    • By vatuwaqa02 25th Mar 16, 11:44 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    vatuwaqa02
    Halifax Clarity - changes to Ts & Cs from 24 June 2016 ?
    Hi
    I have just received my updated Halifax Clarity Card.
    Looking through the accompanying booklet "Credit Card Terms and Conditions, Part B: Additional Important Items", it says on p8
    "Section B5. Fees and Charges.
    Non-Sterling Transaction fee. Purchases. This fee applies if you make a purchase transaction in a non-Sterling currency.
    Cash transaction. This fee applies if you make a cash transaction in a non-Sterling currency."

Is this the end of "free" transactions abroad?

Regards
    vatuwaqa02
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 25th Mar 16, 2:37 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    dj1471
    Is this the end of "free" transactions abroad
    Originally posted by vatuwaqa02
    If you read it properly you'll see that the fees are listed as 0p / 0%...
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 25th Mar 16, 10:32 PM
    • 15,962 Posts
    • 22,322 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    If you read it properly you'll see that the fees are listed as 0p / 0%...
    Originally posted by dj1471
    Exactly. As soon as I got mine I went through the T&C's with a fine toothed comb looking for changes in foreign transaction charges.
    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 27th Mar 16, 8:11 AM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    What it seems to have done is structure the T&C so that they will not require a wholesale rewrite should they decide to introduce charges at a future date. Just change the amounts in A5

So it might be the beginning of the end.......
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 27th Mar 16, 9:42 AM
    • 8,316 Posts
    • 10,685 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    What it seems to have done is structure the T&C so that they will not require a wholesale rewrite should they decide to introduce charges at a future date. Just change the amounts in A5

So it might be the beginning of the end.......
    Originally posted by dzug1
    More likely a one size fits all way of making a T&C change on a large range of credit cards, many of which are no longer on sale.
    • syncuser11
    • By syncuser11 30th Mar 16, 10:59 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    syncuser11
    I have around €3,000 in cash and I am going to be spending around 15 days across Europe this summer.

I would really like to load this onto a card as opposed to carrying this much in cash.

Are there any cards that I can load in €?
    • Mickeysmarcus
    • By Mickeysmarcus 5th Apr 16, 7:58 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mickeysmarcus
    Halifax Clarity Cash Withdrawal Rates
    Just back from NZ and checked my statement. It appears the rate you get for withdrawing cash at an ATM is less than a normal card transaction:

2.0764 NZD/GBP card transaction rate 1.5 hrs before
    2.0767 5 mins before
    2.0460 cash withdrawal
    2.09 4 hours later

I was under the impression it was a pure rate regardless of transaction type. As far as I know no fees were charged at the machine (they should just be added to the NZD amount anyway). I'll search through the t&cs but has anyone else had this experience, or did I just withdraw as the rate suddenly dipped?!
    • Orville
    • By Orville 5th Apr 16, 8:08 AM
    • 1,742 Posts
    • 1,005 Thanks
    Orville
    I have around €3,000 in cash and I am going to be spending around 15 days across Europe this summer.

I would really like to load this onto a card as opposed to carrying this much in cash.

Originally posted by syncuser11
    FairFx Eurocard I have one and have never had any problems with it...

https://www.fairfx.com/product/cards That will take you to the site. If you enter this code 02kdvies you will save on the sign up fees.

I went to Eurodisney in France. Withdrew cash from the cash points over there, used it to pay for meals in the restaurants and bars with no problems whatsoever. I had a few hundred Euros left over when I got back home. I have even used it for purchases over here with no problems and have even paid a catalogue payment with it. :-)
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 5th Apr 16, 8:11 AM
    • 8,316 Posts
    • 10,685 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Just back from NZ and checked my statement. It appears the rate you get for withdrawing cash at an ATM is less than a normal card transaction:

2.0767 5 mins before
    2.0460 cash withdrawal
    2.09 4 hours later

I was under the impression it was a pure rate regardless of transaction type. As far as I know no fees were charged at the machine (they should just be added to the NZD amount anyway). I'll search through the t&cs but has anyone else had this experience, or did I just withdraw as the rate suddenly dipped?!
    Originally posted by Mickeysmarcus
    You've suggested the most likely reason in your final sentence. That said, I'm wondering whether the ATM has charged you a fee. Are the exchange rates you've listed actually on your statement?

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=NZD&view=1M
    Last edited by PeacefulWaters; 05-04-2016 at 8:14 AM.
    • SW17
    • By SW17 5th Apr 16, 8:12 AM
    • 831 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    SW17

2.0767 5 mins before
    2.0460 cash withdrawal
    2.09 4 hours later

Originally posted by Mickeysmarcus
    Had a quick look at my cash withdrawals on Clarity from the last year (I don't use it for ATMs in Europe). In the USA the rates were almost exactly the same as for purchases. In Australia there was a difference of about 1.5% (ATM withdrawal rate worse), but the transactions were not same day, so could have been daily fluctuation.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 5th Apr 16, 10:44 AM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 2,784 Thanks
    eDicky
    I have around €3,000 in cash

Originally posted by syncuser11
    FairFx Eurocard I have one and have never had any problems with it...
    Originally posted by Orville
    Useful for touting your promo code but not for the purpose requested, as neither euros nor cash can be loaded onto a FairFX card. (No such card exists in the UK.)
    • Orville
    • By Orville 5th Apr 16, 11:11 AM
    • 1,742 Posts
    • 1,005 Thanks
    Orville
    not for the purpose requested, as neither euros nor cash can be loaded onto a FairFX card. (No such card exists in the UK.)
    Originally posted by eDicky
    You know you are right eDicky. I totally misread that.

My apologies.....
    • syncuser11
    • By syncuser11 12th Apr 16, 12:33 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    syncuser11
    No worries, I've been looking at the FairFX account.

It's just a pain to have to get hit on the EUR/GBP exchange, I did work out a scenario whereby with favourable rates I could potentially be €4 better off.

Best Foreign Exchange.com

€760 = £603.17

FairFX

£603.17 + £20 bonus (for loading over £600) = £620.17

@ 1.2304 = €766.75

€766.75 - 760 = €6.75 profit
    • Francis65
    • By Francis65 29th Apr 16, 1:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Francis65
    I got a creation card for my holiday on the 6th April, upon checking how it worked I was told to go on the MasterCard exchange site to find out the euro exchange and it told me on that day it would be 1.26 euro to the pound as the highest rate on Tenerife that day was 1.21 I went to a cash point and it told me that the rate would be 1.21, upon my return I phoned creation and they didn't have a clue about it the assistance asked me to hang on and when she came back she said it was MasterCard rate for that day I told her what the rate stated on the site and yet she didn't have a clue, I told her I would be paying the amount in full and cutting the card up as I am better searching around for a better cash rate.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,084Posts Today

8,053Users online

Martin's Twitter