Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 20th Oct 10, 12:58 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    Spending Review: state pension age to rise early
    • 20th Oct 10, 12:58 PM
    Spending Review: state pension age to rise early 20th Oct 10 at 12:58 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

Page 1
    • dementedhousewife
    • By dementedhousewife 20th Oct 10, 1:07 PM
    • 3,784 Posts
    • 101,124 Thanks
    dementedhousewife
    • 20th Oct 10, 1:07 PM
    • 20th Oct 10, 1:07 PM
    The French strike in the streets... Brits just seem to take it laying down...
    Them in the government dont live in the real world.. !
    Comping & Coupons!
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 20th Oct 10, 1:11 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    • 20th Oct 10, 1:11 PM
    • 20th Oct 10, 1:11 PM
    I have fallen foul of this one and now have to work an extra six years for a carpy pension whilst the oober rich scum can still retire at 50
    It is about time we started doing what the French have been doing for years and stand up and fight.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
    • dementedhousewife
    • By dementedhousewife 20th Oct 10, 1:16 PM
    • 3,784 Posts
    • 101,124 Thanks
    dementedhousewife
    • 20th Oct 10, 1:16 PM
    • 20th Oct 10, 1:16 PM
    I have fallen foul of this one and now have to work an extra six years for a carpy pension whilst the oober rich scum can still retire at 50
    It is about time we started doing what the French have been doing for years and stand up and fight.
    Originally posted by Butterfly Brain

I completly agree!.. Its disgusting...
    This Government have gone mad... Whats with all the International
    aid giving?????
    Im so mad!...

What have they said about people who sit on their a$$ claiming income support... What they gonna do about them??
    Comping & Coupons!
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 20th Oct 10, 1:41 PM
    • 40,423 Posts
    • 312,171 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 20th Oct 10, 1:41 PM
    • 20th Oct 10, 1:41 PM
    Five years of the six were put in place by the last government, if there was going to be any "stand up and fight" it should have been then, not much chance of a protest over one year. (The rises up to 68 were all in place under the last Govt, the current lot are just making it sooner)

You can retire (stop working that is) at 50 or any age you want, you just cannot get a pension then. A minimum age of 55 before you can draw on a pension was introduced during the last Government so your rich friends cannot get their pensions at 50 either.
    Last edited by mjm3346; 20-10-2010 at 1:45 PM.
  • bendix
    • 20th Oct 10, 2:35 PM
    • 20th Oct 10, 2:35 PM
    Alternatively, you could stop whining, take control of your own life and save for your retirement in those intervening years, while waiting for the Government pension to kick in.

What is wrong with the British. Why is everyone such a maudling victim?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 20th Oct 10, 2:51 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 66,996 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 20th Oct 10, 2:51 PM
    • 20th Oct 10, 2:51 PM
    Them in the government dont live in the real world.. !
    Many would say the French dont live in the real world. Would love their lifestyle but the money has to be there to pay for it.

The announcement is an increase of 1 year not 6. Its only brought forward 4 years from when it was planned to go up anyway.
    Five years of the six were put in place by the last government
    It was actually the one before the last one. It was over 15 years ago.
    Last edited by dunstonh; 20-10-2010 at 3:03 PM.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Loughton Monkey
    • By Loughton Monkey 20th Oct 10, 2:59 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 12,428 Thanks
    Loughton Monkey
    • 20th Oct 10, 2:59 PM
    • 20th Oct 10, 2:59 PM
    Alternatively, you could stop whining, take control of your own life and save for your retirement in those intervening years, while waiting for the Government pension to kick in.

Originally posted by bendix
    Agreed.

Firstly, it won't take long for all the 'I paid into it all my life and now I don't get it' merchants to winge. They need to understand that they never 'paid into' it, but actually contributed to people retired years ago. Given the huge shift in proportion of retirees/taxpayers the existing taxpayers cannot be expected to be bled to death.

Secondly, it is not as though the public has not been warned. Even Barbara Castle was trying to get the 'working masses' to understand they need to fund their own pensions!

What do you say to a 10 year old you are taking on holiday for a week, when you have given them 50 and stressed that's the lot. It has to last the whole week. Day 5, and the child has blown the lot, and wants more. Well "Tough"!
  • opinions4u
    • 20th Oct 10, 3:13 PM
    • 20th Oct 10, 3:13 PM
    What do you say to a 10 year old you are taking on holiday for a week, when you have given them 50 and stressed that's the lot. It has to last the whole week. Day 5, and the child has blown the lot, and wants more. Well "Tough"!
    Originally posted by Loughton Monkey
    Strangely, it works.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 20th Oct 10, 3:58 PM
    • 11,502 Posts
    • 61,497 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Whats with all the International
    aid giving?????
    You're really complaining about giving a few pence/pounds a year to people surviving on a couple of dollars a day?

Sorry, but this sickens me.

Good comparison here:

http://www.cafod.org.uk/about-us/how-we-work/standards/aid-q-as

'Currently, only around one per cent of our taxes are spent on international aid (the UK aid budget for 2010/11 is 9.1 billion). Every year the UK government loses 42 billion to tax avoidance'
  • ontherrazzle

When I was made redundant, one of the first things I did was invest a large chunk of my redundancy cheque into a private pension scheme, and added to it as and when I could. Due to the economic situation I have had to watch the value of my pension fund plummeting. It has now just about managed to get back up to the value it was at over 10 years ago - and that's without taking inflation into account. Also, thanks to falling annuity rates, the pension it will buy me is about 40% of what it would have been at that time. So much for "taking control of my own life".

This latest pension news is just another kick in the teeth.
    Last edited by ontherrazzle; 20-10-2010 at 4:30 PM.
  • moonrakerz
    Why is everyone such a maudling victim?
    Now come on - you can't blame it on poor old Reggie Maudling. He was Chancellor back in the 60s

Every year the UK government loses 42 billion to tax avoidance'
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    This looks suspiciously like a "think of a number and double triple it" figure.

As tax avoidance is a perfectly legal "pastime" - how is this figure arrived at ?
    When the Government announces a tax increase, there is always some notice given - any purchases made before the increase comes into effect (VAT in Jan 2011 !) is perfectly legal "tax avoidance".
    Of course none of the members of this forum would indulge in such underhand tactics - would they ???
    Last edited by moonrakerz; 20-10-2010 at 4:52 PM.
  • meebsquat
    What have they said about people who sit on their a$$ claiming income support... What they gonna do about them??
    Originally posted by dementedhousewife
    I thought they were cutting welfare by 7billion a year...
    • cashbackproblems
    • By cashbackproblems 20th Oct 10, 11:53 PM
    • 1,793 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    cashbackproblems
    You're really complaining about giving a few pence/pounds a year to people surviving on a couple of dollars a day?

Sorry, but this sickens me.

Good comparison here:

http://www.cafod.org.uk/about-us/how-we-work/standards/aid-q-as

'Currently, only around one per cent of our taxes are spent on international aid (the UK aid budget for 2010/11 is 9.1 billion). Every year the UK government loses 42 billion to tax avoidance'
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    I agree. This and the nhs review are the only things which i feel strongly must be protected and improved.

The new rules are coming into place by 2020, those retiring soon will be fine and those in their 20-40's have plenty of time to prepare and start saving for a private pension or investing in funds, youv gota assume tht there is no state pension and try fund it yourself. Im sure the age will increase even further in the coming yrs.

Leaving your money in a savings account wont be enough either, uv gota invest it to make money.
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 21st Oct 10, 2:55 AM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    Firstly, it won't take long for all the 'I paid into it all my life and now I don't get it' merchants to winge. They need to understand that they never 'paid into' it, but actually contributed to people retired years ago.
    Originally posted by Loughton Monkey
    Ahh! A Ponzi scheme! Bernie Madoff should have used that argument in his defence.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • Frozenace
    • By Frozenace 21st Oct 10, 8:06 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    Frozenace
    Everyone should opt-out of the optional state pension scheme.

We'll never get paid when we work ourselves into the grave.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 21st Oct 10, 8:52 AM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 66,996 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Everyone should opt-out of the optional state pension scheme.
    What state pension scheme is optional?

opt-out is the term used for someone "opting out" of an occupational pension scheme. It has a negative vibe to it as its generally considered that someone that has opted-out has made the wrong move.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Ian W
    • By Ian W 21st Oct 10, 10:27 PM
    • 3,716 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    Ian W
    We'll never get paid when we work ourselves into the grave.
    Originally posted by Frozenace
    Erm, the problem seems to be that not enough of us are working ourselves "into the grave" or at least not an early enough grave. Your generous offer to work yourself into the grave is greatly appreciated, by me at least!

Perhaps it's just me being daft, but I find the idea of living longer rather appealing.
    • goamike
    • By goamike 22nd Oct 10, 10:42 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    goamike
    Why should people who have worked all thier lives, have to work extra, me personally think its disgusting and they are robbing me of a years pension.

Okay for the likes of kenneth clark, ian duncan smith to state its okay to work extra years because we are living longer, what will be they doing a couple of hours a day in a nice leather chair and a nice big pension to look forward to. At least the french give it a fight.

And by the way i have made provisions for my pension as i will be going on the dole at 65 snd the state can look after me for a year !!!!
    Keep right on
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 22nd Oct 10, 11:22 AM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 66,996 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Why should people who have worked all thier lives, have to work extra, me personally think its disgusting and they are robbing me of a years pension.
    You dont have to work extra. You only need to work as long as you want to and need to.

The UK's current average retirement age for men is between 62 and 63. The state pension age is unlikely to change that. It clearly shows that a good proportion of the population have been funding their retirement provision. The only ones that are going to lose are those that don't take personal responsibility for their finances.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,231Posts Today

7,736Users online

Martin's Twitter