Council Tax. Are You Paying More Than Your Neighbours? Check It Out

Comments

• susan47
    susan47 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I found the voa website last year and wrote a letter complaining that I was in Band F, when nearly every other house in my street is an E - and I've lived here 15 years. I didn't think they would even reply, but they did - and they sent a valuer around and he told me that he thought the whole street should be F...Since he said he couldn't revalue everyone else, he agreed to drop me to an E! I got a refund of over £2,000. Brilliant! Just shows anything is worth a try.
  • alecpr
    alecpr Posts: 109 Forumite
    After succesfuly appealing my banding and getting the confirmation letter, I was looking forward to the cheque and the reduction in my bills.... not to be. Rang th concil for when the re-banding will be processed, they advised the VOA send it in writing and then they issue the cheque and adjust the bill payments.

So how long then? I asked

It'll be a nice Xmas present was the reply :-(
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    alecpr wrote:

So how long then? I asked

It'll be a nice Xmas present was the reply :-(

The letter I had from the VOA telling me of my re-banding, backdated to 1993 !!!!, stated that they had already notified my local council. Am going to give them a couple of weeks before I ring them.
  • musey
    musey Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My council did automatically for me, I didn't have to contact them or anything. I received the letters about a month after (my backdating also went back to '93). Strangely enough my council are forcing the next door neighbours to go to tribunal as they don't hold their claim valid, they have the exact same house to me....curious?
  • Maisie
    Maisie Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Great to hear that Musey and thunderbirds won their appeals and got a lower banding and a refund.

Keep on appealing everyone. We pay enough taxes in this country without being charged too much on council tax.
  • Here is the link for any folk in Scotland who are looking to check it out......

http://www.saa.gov.uk/

Unfortunately I have just checked the last four houses I have lived in and they are all pretty accurate - would have been nice to get one up on the local council!!!
    "Life may not always be the party you wish for, but whilst here you may aswell dance"!!!
    Murphy's NMPC Memb No 239!
    Dippychick's De-clutter club Member No 6! - onto room no 2!
    My Avatar? Arnie and Casey, proud parents to Storm and Tsu born 19/01/2009!!! - both now in new homes and called Murron and Burger!
  • Maisie
    Maisie Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Thanks arnie and caeysma! Keep appealing everyone.

Why pay more council tax than you need to!.
  • Cookiepops
    Cookiepops Posts: 377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have noticed my street varies between 3 bands - but I think the 2 beds are band A, 3 beds are band B and 4 beds are band C.

In which case I am the right band - except I have noticed that there is one 3 bed in our street which is a Band A - is this reason enough for me to appeal?

Thanks
    :heart2: Cookiepops :heart2:
  • Hey - thanks all . This thread is really interesting. I've looked on the website and all houses on my street are band C. I live in a two bed , there are eight 2 bed houses, there are two houses with large extensions (that were originally 3 beds) and twenty 3 bed houses (bigger rooms, gardens, downstairs cloakrooms etc). Would it be worth my while appealing?
    I've also looked at roads nearby on private estates ( mines an ex council) where house prices are at least 20 -40k higher and they are the same band as me!!!!
    Any advice anyone?
    Also does anyone know how I can check the house prices in 1991?
    Thanks in advance......
    :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Quite keen moneysaver......
  • itgirlinuk
    itgirlinuk Posts: 465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I live in a 2 bed victorian conversion and I am on band C. But my neighbours have a 4 bed terraced house to themselves and they are on band E.

Thats the wrong banding isn't it? Does me having a large garden make a difference to the banding?
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure