We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Protection for a New Shed

WLM21
WLM21 Posts: 1,491 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I am awaiting delivery of my new 7 x 5 shed in about a weeks time for my allotment. I decided to go for a decent tongue and groove shed, which hopefully will last at least 10 years (just hoping I make it for 10 years too) I am obviously keen to protect it properly.

Looking at just one shop for now (Wilko) there seems to be a vast choice of products. I think I'll be going for the preservative type product (brown) rather than one of the coloured exterior paints.

There is so much to choose from including ...

Ronseal One Coat Fence Life Harvest Gold Exterior Wood Paint 5L £8.00

Wilko Timbercare Red Cedar Exterior Wood Paint 5L £4.25

Cuprinol 5 Year Ducksback Harvest Brown Exterior Wood Paint 5L £14.00

Wilko Wax Enriched Timbercare Redwood Exterior Wood Paint 5L £9.00

No doubt the other stores, B&Q, Wickes, Homebase, Screwfix have their own brands too as well as the common brands, but which one is best.

I think brushing rather than spraying is the better option, but which product do I choose ?

What would the experts here recommend please ?

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I would recommend anything spirit based, preferably creosote, but although I can buy that, you probably can't, so Creocote it is. Colour choice is brown and dark brown, but it's an allotment, so aesthetics are probably less important. Protect your hands/skin.

Two coats initially and then one every year on the outside. Occasional extra coats inside. It fades quite quickly, but my sheds are 10 years old and there's no rot. They weren't tanalised, which would have been best of all, but the chap who made them for me charged enough as it was!
  • Old engine oil for bits that you aren't going to see/touch
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I use culprinol garden shades on my allotment shed. Still good as new 5 years later
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Old engine oil for bits that you aren't going to see/touch

...mixed with diesel or petrol to help it soak in and dry off and it will be fine for the bits you can see and may touch.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I agree Cuprinol Garden Shades seems to last well on objects that need a colour other than brown. Old engine oil is very carcinogenic, so gloves are a must if going down that route, same as with creosote etc.

I'd also add that how a base is prepared counts too when avoiding rot. I always put my sheds on bearers and get an air flow underneath.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 September 2019 at 10:28AM
    yes my shed is on bearers too the ground underneath shed has garden membrane and gravel too. I also concreted the shed on each corner with angle irons because we get a lot of wind on allotment in Autumn

Wilkos do a cheaper version of garden shades I have used it on other projects and seems just as good a different colours. My neighbours used it on her new shed and so far 18 months its fine. Both products do need a couple of coats, mine had 3

This was taken last year and since then I just built a leanto at the front

20180424-135611.jpg
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I agree Cuprinol Garden Shades seems to last well on objects that need a colour other than brown. Old engine oil is very carcinogenic, so gloves are a must if going down that route, same as with creosote etc.

I'd also add that how a base is prepared counts too when avoiding rot. I always put my sheds on bearers and get an air flow underneath.
  • I've heard lots of people rave about Bedec Barn Paint. I have no personal experience though and it looks pricey.

https://bedec.co.uk/bedec_products/barn-paint/
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Apodemus wrote: »
    ...mixed with diesel or petrol to help it soak in and dry off and it will be fine for the bits you can see and may touch.

As well as being dangerous to your health if contacted by unprotected skin i would think that as a mixture it would be highly flammable and the fumes would not do you any good.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure