Unexpected request to confirm tax residency - Halifax

Comments

• blackfish
    blackfish Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 2 April 2016 at 3:23PM
    agrinnall,

I did see a similar thread but it was a year or two old and clearly indicated a US IRS connection from the outset (probably in the thread title). As I hadn't sensed any link to US/IRS in the letter I received, I decided not to resurrect that thread and started this one instead.

badmemory,

I too did a little searching on the WV address (Tax Compliance Service Centre) and the phone number and like you drew a blank. It will be interesting to see if HMRC can shed light. I still don't think it's a phish but I do think it's an unwelcome and unnecessary intrusion if Halifax haven't got any evidence to link me or my investments with the US (or anywhere else for that matter), even if they are 'just following orders'

I think the law exists and the form is legitimate but I also think it should only be sent to those who are say US immigrants to UK or UK residents who have invested in the US (or other countries within scope of the reciprocal law).
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it is genuine, it will be going back with a strongly worded letter. I am not amused! I have no connections with the US and the only connection I have ever had with any of the countries mentioned was a long weekend in Jersey 40 years ago. I think Halifax's justification is going to be a 6 figure inheritance I received at the end of last year, but as they knew where all that came from this enquiry is still not justified.
  • blackfish
    What if someone (hacker or insider) got a name/address list where accounts had let's say more than £25k. Now write to said customers and glean DOB, NI number and signature. Is that enough information to steal identity and get your hands on the funds? Probably not but I don't want to be the one on the news saying: "It all looked genuine so I filled it in and signed it. I've lost my life savings and I feel stupid now". I shall take the form into Halifax. If they say it's OK, I'll sign it in their presence and ask them to post it internally. That should cover all bases.
  • Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Parliament decided in 2013 that all financial institutions should identify US person customers. FATCA letters are therefore required to be issued.

As many place names in the United States (eg Boston, Greenwich or Cleveland) are identical to place names in the United States, the bank's computer may be matching a place of birth from a British passport to a town or city that might be within the United States. What place does your British passport identify as your place of birth?

If you are a US person (citizen or green card holder) you will be reported on in any case, whether or not you have ever visited the United States.
  • blackfish
    edited 2 April 2016 at 9:33PM
    Looks like that strongly worded letter will be needed if a sloppy bit of Lloyds Banking Group computer programme can't differentiate between Derby UK and Derby Connecticut, Ohio, Texas or Vermont. So maybe every customer in Derby UK with a balance over an undisclosed amount will have received such a letter. Extend that to almost every town and city in the UK as most have a namesake over the pond.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 April 2016 at 6:26PM
    We received letters today too - neither of us has ever been to the US.

Our letters have gone on the kindling pile for fire lighting.
  • Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We received letters today too - neither of us has ever been to the US.

Our letters have gone on the kindling pile for fire lighting.
    It is probable that a recalcitrant account holder will automatically be reported on; so look forward to hearing from the IRS in a few years time...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 April 2016 at 6:43PM
    It is probable that a recalcitrant account holder will automatically be reported on; so look forward to hearing from the IRS in a few years time...

That's fine. Everything is in order so I am not worried. The form also only said 'may' not 'must'.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That's fine. Everything is in order so I am not worried. The form also only said 'may' not 'must'.

This is what I AM worried about. There is definitely a threat implied in the letter I have.
  • One person remembers a mention of the IRS in the media and suddenly everyone is up in arms!
    Maybe this may shed some light. I received a covering letter today with my latest statement from Nationwide, and in this it states:
    This year has seen the further extension of international tax information exchange agreements. The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FACTA), which came into effect in July 2014, has been augmented by the introduction of the OECD Common Reporting Standard (CRS), which came into effect on 31 December 2015.
    To meet the CRS requirements, where applicable we will be writing to you during 2016 and 2017 to ask for confirmation of your country of tax residence and corresponding Tax Identification Number....
    End quote
    Perhaps Lloyds Bank group are just the first of many banks and other finance institutions that may be sending out similar letters in the coming months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure