DWP Recruiting Again - 2012

Comments

• poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    EO used to be an entry level grade for graduates if I remember correctly. Is this not still the case?
  • tsimehC
    tsimehC Posts: 763 Forumite
    poet123 wrote: »
    EO used to be an entry level grade for graduates if I remember correctly. Is this not still the case?

Nope, it's down to work/life experiences more now although a degree can't hurt. Makes sense anyway as I never used anything I learnt in university while I worked as an EO.
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    tsimehC wrote: »
    Nope, it's down to work/life experiences more now although a degree can't hurt. Makes sense anyway as I never used anything I learnt in university while I worked as an EO.

Nor me;) but I am really asking for the graduate son of a friend, who has not been able to get a permanent role since leaving Uni, but who also doesn't have managerial experience.

Would he automatically fail the online test because of this? I don't want to tell him about the vacancies if he is not likely to get past the first hurdle.
  • tsimehC
    poet123 wrote: »
    Nor me;) but I am really asking for the graduate son of a friend, who has not been able to get a permanent role since leaving Uni, but who also doesn't have managerial experience.

Would he automatically fail the online test because of this? I don't want to tell him about the vacancies if he is not likely to get past the first hurdle.

I'm not in a position to say whether or not he'll fail it because of that but in all honesty, it can't hurt to have a go. It takes a large chuck of time to complete properly but it's better to say you had a go rather than assume you won't get through because of that lack of experience.

One thing to note is that these EO roles will most likely be about face-to-face customer interviews rather than behind-the-scene stuff. Theoretically, you should be managing AOs but this never happened for me or anyone else in the last office I worked in. They had others (the old-timers) that did that however managing one's performance is always something everyone has a lot of so more focus should be placed on that IMO. I did that anyway, if it backfires...oh well. :rotfl:
  • Gleeful
    Gleeful Posts: 1,979 Forumite
    tsimehC wrote: »
    I'm not in a position to say whether or not he'll fail it because of that but in all honesty, it can't hurt to have a go. It takes a large chuck of time to complete properly but it's better to say you had a go rather than assume you won't get through because of that lack of experience.

One thing to note is that these EO roles will most likely be about face-to-face customer interviews rather than behind-the-scene stuff. Theoretically, you should be managing AOs but this never happened for me or anyone else in the last office I worked in. They had others (the old-timers) that did that however managing one's performance is always something everyone has a lot of so more focus should be placed on that IMO. I did that anyway, if it backfires...oh well. :rotfl:

You see, I am currently a manager and thinking this job may pay more but sounds like a side step and not a good career move.
  • tsimehC
    edited 13 January 2012 at 10:44PM
    Gleeful wrote: »
    You see, I am currently a manager and thinking this job may pay more but sounds like a side step and not a good career move.

I can't argue with that. If you have a safe, stable job then I wouldn't apply for this job regardless of pay because of several factors (not going to delve into any specifics here).

edit: Just did the test, that was surprisingly quite challenging.
  • I left my fixed term role in October 2010, after working with JCP city for 11 months, started a 2 year contract with local government (Newham council), left at just the right time.

Did apply yesterday, very different process this time, completed application with 5 competencies then told passed that stage and had to complete a 75 minute test, 36 questions.

Wait to see what happens now.

heya did u pass the test? i have just completed the test.. wasnt hard but baffled me in some cases!!! how did u get on with it and what area did u reply in? Good Luck.

i passed the appliacation stage, i have done the test. But i got my compentencies checked by a friend today and she though they werent very good.. its really disheartened me! but i passed the application stage, cant be that bad eh!
    Life is tough - Either we make it, or we Loose it..
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    heya did u pass the test? i have just completed the test.. wasnt hard but baffled me in some cases!!! how did u get on with it and what area did u reply in? Good Luck.

i passed the appliacation stage, i have done the test. But i got my compentencies checked by a friend today and she though they werent very good.. its really disheartened me! but i passed the application stage, cant be that bad eh!

Look at the indicators that need to be met individually and then find where you've met that indicator and if you think its clear enough, try using some of the words in your example that are in the indicator. Also remember that the examples don't necessarily have to be work based for example you might be a scout leader or you might have managed a house move. If you've been involved in something but didn't do it alone say that you did in your example. You need to remember that its about what you did so use "I" rather than "WE".

Sadly the competencies are supposed to make it fairer to people but its just a game on who can write 250 words in line with what has been asked. I've lost count of the number of people I know that have been promoted on the basis of writing good competencies where the examples weren't even their own and they are totally incompetent in the job when they get it. Personally i couldn't do it, I wouldn't be able to confidently talk aobut them at interview which is hard enough as it is without lying but some people have no conscience :(.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • tsimehC wrote: »
    No problem. I was due to end in 2010 as well but I got my contract extended as the number of unemployed was still getting higher (it still is I guess). I've done most of the competency part and looking to apply in multiple areas too but do you know if you need to do the tests again for each area you apply to? Thanks in advance.

Well, I've applied for 3 areas and have completed the test once. My login page is now telling me that I have completed the test for 2 of the areas, but the 3rd is saying I am yet to complete the test lol! Very strange...So, I guess I'll have to do the test again for the 3rd one :)
    When you're going through hell, keep going...
  • LisaB85
    LisaB85 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    I applied yesterday, I was a band B before and this is a Band C job I must admit I found the application process horrid and not sure I will get anywhere with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure