Dubai Airport Lounge

Tried the search function and the best thread I found was 'closed'.

Anyway off back to Singapore at the weekend and because of family circumstances and flight requirements etc my missus and her sister are flying from Heathrow on Business Class Vietnam Air - we've done it before and it's fine.

But I refuse to pay the one way BC fair LHR to Changi on any airline so I'm taking Economy on Emirates with the obvious stopover in Dubai.

The missus was looking at lounges for me in Dubai and they seem extortionate cost and the reviews are poor.
Anyone any experience.

We've thought previously about Emirates for BC LHR to Singapore but so far haven't done it. Maybe we won't bother????
It's your money. Except if it's the governments.

Comments

• pompeii
    pompeii Posts: 257 Forumite
    Hi we used it once a couple of years ago and it is not a good experience, the food quality was not good, tried the chicken dish ate a couple of mouthful and gave up tried the pasta dish no better, sandwiches looked very unappetising, cakes were poor quality, coffee not good, no fresh juice. It was very crowded with very little comfortable seating We saw people on the concourse sitting in more comfortable seats so we left and sat there. The staff were functional no warmth or interaction with lounge users, they seemed embarrassed to work there. The next year we did not bother and ate at one of the outlets. We had a Dragon Pass had we paid I would have felt totally ripped off. Unless they have significantly improved I would not waste your money.
  • Ngozi
    Ngozi Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Plenty of options for under £40, think its only the Emirates and Dubai Int. Hotel ones that cost silly amount.

As to the quality, guess it depends to what you're use to.

If you or members of your family fly frequently or pay for Business Class, i'd be surprised if you don't have a credit card or part of an air miles scheme that would get you free entry to airport lounges.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 4 November 2019 at 2:24PM
    I've no idea what the cost of entry to Emirates BC lounge in Dubai is, so don't know whether its value for money or not. But here are my comments as a regular user:

1st of all, there is more than one - 6 or 7 IIRC.

The one we mainly use is huge, comfortable, and we've always managed to find a quiet area to sit. There is a large central hub area where food is laid out, then other smaller sections, with coffee, tea etc and salads & desserts.

Food selection is not brilliant for me as I need Gluten Free, but if I ask, they can usually find something for me to eat. Husband always manages to find something tasty.

Unlike our local lounge @ BHX, alcoholic drinks are not help yourself, but that's not surprising.

Have used Emirates BC lounges all over the world. BHX is by far the best:T

EDIT we once saw Richard & Judy in Dubai lounge. Richard was constantly fetching drinks for Judy;) but don't let that put you off
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Personally I wouldn't bother paying for lounge access. We found them ok but nothing more than that. You get a bit more space to sit down and relax but the food was mediocre and the service was nothing special.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Can't comment on the lounges but recall the 'marble palace' of an airport with very little seating. I ended up laying on my coat on the marble floor! to get a few winks in the middle of the night.
    Seems they want you to shop.
    I do recall there was a free chilled drinking water dispenser outside the toilets.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    How long is your transit in Dubai? If it's just over an hour, which is possible from LHR, then I wouldn't bother. If 2 hours then Marhaba comes into play. Over 3 hours and possibly Emirates' own lounges, but we're all different.

What lounges and prices did she find?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport