'American Style' Samsung Fridge Freezer (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• arthur_fowler
    Options
    Newcomer to the thread. Had the FF from new. Had problems with it 8 years ago with it frosting up. Got the repair kit from appliancediyrepairs. Instructions were excellent and it has been running fine since. Until last month when it started frosting up again.
    Defrosted it, but it only lasted a few weeks before ice on the inside of the fridge. Appliancediyrepairs seem to have gone, so got a new kit on ebay. Instructions were not great but thankfully still had the old ones!

Fitted the kit yesterday, now have my fingers crossed that 100GBP will save having to spend nearly a grand on a replacement for a few more years.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My F/F has frozen up (again). There was a noise when the fan was going but its now silent and the fridge is warm. I tried to take the cover off the fan, managed to unscrew it but the cover won't budge. Phoned an engineer who said I should leave it switched off for 24 hours. This is a pain as the freezer will need to be emptied. Anyone know (a) if this will work (b) a quicker way.

Complicated by the plug being behind the appliance so will need to wait until OH comes home.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    My F/F has frozen up (again). There was a noise when the fan was going but its now silent and the fridge is warm. I tried to take the cover off the fan, managed to unscrew it but the cover won't budge. Phoned an engineer who said I should leave it switched off for 24 hours. This is a pain as the freezer will need to be emptied. Anyone know (a) if this will work (b) a quicker way.

Complicated by the plug being behind the appliance so will need to wait until OH comes home.

The problem is often a build up of ice in the workings. Switching it off for a day lets the ice melt & everything will be hunkydory until next time.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • silvercar
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    The problem is often a build up of ice in the workings. Switching it off for a day lets the ice melt & everything will be hunkydory until next time.

Makes sense. Where does the ice go?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • EssexExile
    Options
    Makes sense. Where does the ice go?
    It melts, runs down into the receptacle on top of the compressor then overflows onto the floor. Put towels down!
  • arthur_fowler
    Options

If you havent got the cover off yet, you can defrost it with a hairdryer.
  • silvercar
    Options
    It melts, runs down into the receptacle on top of the compressor then overflows onto the floor. Put towels down!
    If you havent got the cover off yet, you can defrost it with a hairdryer.

Thanks all.

It’s switched off now and will leave it off for 48 hours.

Hopefully that will be long enough for everything to defrost.
  • silvercar
    Options
    Just reporting back.

Managed to defrost it for 48 hours. At which point everything seemed ok.

Switched back on and everything ok, reflled fridge and freezer. Within a couple of days the wiirrring sound came back. Called a repair man out. With the freezer still full and closed, he took the back off the fridge and found a whole panel totally iced up. He took it apart and defrosted it completely (lots of hot water etc) put it all back together and everything was fine.

Wind forward 6 weeks to today and the fan is making a noise again, pull out the bottom two fridge draws and its covered in ice. My engineer said its really strange for it to happen again after 6 weeks, but the answer is to defrost everything!

Now it is unplugged and ice melting. Interestingly I can see ice through the holes at the back of the freezer. I'm wondering if the freezer side (behind the panel) has gradually frozen up again?

Any ideas?
  • EssexExile
    Options

Any ideas?

Time for a new one?
  • returnofghandi
    Options
    /gds/samsung-rs21-fridge-defrost-repair-problems/10000000005678075/g.html

Try this. Put ebay's website in place of *.
    Sorry! Did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback