Options
    Bettor76 wrote: »
    website has had an error for a while now....can't even get on it

Working for me.
  • carrspaints
    carrspaints Posts: 70 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to buy from AF a few years ago, but stopped because I was able to buy the same stuff from shops like Poundstretcher, Home Bargains etc. cheaper than AF - and the stuff was still within its best by date. Even the "half-price" deals by TESCO et al sees prices lower than AF. I think the AF model is a great idea, but TBH, I think they have become greedy with their pricing. I bought 24 cans of Rubicon Pomegranate from Pounstretcher yesterday - 10p a tin, £2.40 for 24 cans - all in date. Bang goes the diet.
  • seatbeltnoob
    Options
    Their prices are about the same as supermarket offers. That's hardly worth taking a punt on.
    Mrs Crimblers Choc Macaroons
    Approved Foods £1
    Tesco clubcard price £1

Ferroro Rocher (similar, but not the same)
    Approved Foods £5
    Amazon £6

There are marginal savings in cost, but you're taking a big gamble by getting stuff past best before. I saw this site featured on the BBC documentry long time before and is featured on the MSE homepage. I honestly don't see the point of it, for me it's only worth a punt if they were much much cheaper.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm not keen, I thought about doing an order, they had some hotel chocolate at £5 per box but the best before was 2019.  I know it probably fine but....
    I thought about their Pepsi but Farmfoods works out cheaper.
    I'm not too fussy on bb dates but I think I would prefer to buy a bargain in date and let it go out of date in my cupboard. 
    So I will carry on with the bogoffs in my local supermarkets. 
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've eaten Walkers crisps past the best before and they were soft and not very nice. Also Pepsi Max past the BB had an odd flavour, (the full sugar might keep better).

As above I don't get the hype on Approved Foods as they seem expensive for what is being sold.
  • Greenqueen_2
    Options
    They used to be good, but lately the prices have not been bargainous. I can find some of the same products for much less at CutpriceBarry  though they tend to be mostly “junk food”.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it just me or is everything on AP more expensive than the supermarkets? I thought they were cutting the prices because food was near or past it's BBE; am I missing something? Did food suddenly increase in value when it got old?

• shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jennie some things are still good, i got some Hotel Chocolat and randomly Revitalish very cheap but on the whole i agree most things are no cheaper than elsewhere

i tend to buy more from cheapfoods now and yankeebundles are also worth a look tho often are bulk buys

When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • Zoobzi37
    Zoobzi37 Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 May 2022 at 1:12PM
    Options
    If you want a brilliant deal then Poundstretcher have everything at half price at present. The deal has been on for over 4 weeks now. Just spend a fiver and then it's all half price. 
    I was a Hexham Poundstretcher yesterday and saved £33 on my £66 shop.
    I am not allowed to drive anymore due to disability but if I had a car still, I'd load up with a years supply of household items. 
    It's an incredible deal and they have some really decent stock. 
    I am really struggling with price rises, esp my 105% fuel energy increase. So any saving like this is a real boon. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback