help. Xmas do... suspected of doing DRUGS!!!!!!

Options
1717273747577»

Comments

• poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    Good, but not great, outcome. It beggars belief that in this age of HR orientated legislation and procedure they can issue a final written warning without anything preceeding it. Did the words not ring any alarm bells with the management? talk about incompetence.
  • robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    Written warning is a bit harsh but at least a long way short of the Anihilators projected outcome. Op keep your head down and beaver away, and ignore any snide comments from managers.
  • bitemebankers
    Options
    At the end of the day, a very positive outcome for the OP. Given the amount of time that's gone by, I was getting a little concerned that perhaps they'd go for dismissal, in spite of their shaky case. Common sense appears to have prevailed though.

Just take some time now to find yourself a better job - there are jobs out there, and now you've got the luxury of plenty of time to look. All the very best for the future!
    "There may be a legal obligation to obey, but there will be no moral obligation to obey. When it comes to history, it will be the people who broke the law for freedom that will be remembered and honoured." --Rt. Hon. Tony Benn
  • u264047
    u264047 Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry guys, I haven't been as attentive as I used to be. It's hard getting back into the swing of things, I'm constantly tired, and I haven't even touched my ps3.

Work is... awkward at the moment, the people who I used to be close i'm keeping a strictly professional relationship with. I'm no longer tempted to engage in office banter... too many lessons learned.

My line manager (probably a bigger piece of work than the sales manager to be truthful) no longer attempts to speak to me, for example yesterday he spoke to me a total of three times ("good morning" "are you on top of things" "right then, i'll see you tomorrow")

Not bothered too much with that as I have nothing in common with him anyway.

Still waiting to hear an update about my grievance, and still waiting for the proposed mediation session with the Sales manager. Can't wait...

Thanks for keeping up!
  • robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    Just keep your head down, plod on and meet your targets, and keep looking for something else.
  • sarymclary
    sarymclary Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP I'm pleased you managed to avoid the dismissal, but disappointed for you that they felt it appropriate to give the Final Written Warning (peculiar that, since there was no verbal or previous written warning)! I can understand why you might not want to fight this issue though, it's been a long time now.

A passage of time now needs to pass before there can be any element of normality in this workplace for you now, I'm sure. It sounded as though you had more than enough work previously to do, so hope you are able to just get your head down, crack on with each day's work, and know you've earn't your keep. It would be lovely to think that the sojourn to China was still a possibility for you.

As for the grievance against the Sales Mgr, I think this should still be followed through. I doubt very much that the 'clearing the air' meeting will take place. Let's face it, they've not done anything else by the book, and the senior manager clearly has high expectations from his staff. Perhaps it will be something you could raise at your next Annual Review as a target your manager hasn't met? But then I can do bitter rather too well!

Good luck for the future, and well done. It must be a huge relief to you and your wife, and I say that as the OH of someone who is just setting out on an Employment Tribunal debacle.
    One day the clocks will stop, and time won't mean a thing

Be nice to your children, they'll choose your care home
  • clio2008
    Options
    u264047 wrote: »
    As for the poster who suggested I wasn't a very nice person or had an attitude problem and therefore my colleagues maybe wouldn't be surprised by this allegation, you may have a grain of truth or two in there, I am a 24 year old, and I have quite a cynical, sardonic way about me, which does mean that on occasion, I may not play well with others, but I really think that this is beside the point. I am bloody good at my job and have nothing on my file whatsoever preceding this... (I have been known to get smashed at Xmas do's though, but never accused of anything of this nature)

Hi Matt, hope all has worked out now with the problem at work..

I just wanted to give a little advice/opinion of mine.

Having worked in many, many types of jobs/industries I for one have found a way of working which works best as a whole.
    My number one rule is NEVER to attend work dos. (I have been to 2 in my last 15 years of working) I know that they are good ways to get to meet other people from the company you work for, but events like that usually equate to alot of tongue wagging, back stabbing and stories that spread round the office like wild fire which can mar ones reputation. IF one decides they cannot live without the yearly or frequent work parties they should be very mindful about how they behave, speak, dress etc. NOT GETTING DRUNK! is a very important thing at work dos as one might 'forget' how to behave and in doing so earn themselves a not too favorable nickname.

REMEMBER: Your boss is not your friend. Your boss is your employer. Even if one gets on like flies on !!!!!! with their boss or colleagues, when !!!!!! hits the fan or something happens that you are to be held accountable for, everyone slots right back into their roles - Your manager is then your manager, not the nice guy you like to hang out with for a drink at the pub every so often, AND your colleagues slot back into the role of 'office colleagues' whom will tend to look at only covering thier backs when something happens.

As far as am concerned, I am early to work, do my hours, my work results are of a high quality, my clients are very happy and communicate this to management, I juggle my caseload nicely which means I hit my performance indicators each and every time, am tidy looking when I get to work, I get on with all staff and polite to all, plus help other staff complete work they are behind on. THIS IS ALL THAT MATTERS & IS ALL THAT SHOULD MATTER.

Being a lone wolf is not a bad thing, as long as you do all/most of the above. I know because I am a Lone Wolf myself ;-)

I hope things go well for you in the future and goodluck

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family