Ex Brother in Law Wont Repay Loan

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mkooo wrote: »
    Just over a year ago I lent some money to my sister and then brother in law to pay off a loan they had taken out their wedding.
    It was verbally agreed that it would be paid back to me within 4 years at very most.

Are you talking about making a claim when the 4 years are up or now?
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How much was the original loan?
    How much has your sister paid back?
    How much is outstanding?

Can you answer these?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You've got vey little chance of getting any of it back since your verbal agreement isn't going to make much odds.

If you loaned it to them jointly, they are equally liable, not liable for half.
    If you did make it to the SCC, the fact that you can't prove you actually laoned them the cash, since it came out of your mothers account, means you'll have to get your mother involved, and she will have to make the claim.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • mkooo
    mkooo Posts: 329 Forumite
    edited 4 June 2018 at 8:36PM
    can you answer these?

Original loan: £7500
    Sister has repaid £2270
    Total left regardless of splitting £5030
  • mkooo
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    Are you talking about making a claim when the 4 years are up or now?

Now because it’s likely to drag on a lot longer.. as to reach that deadline would bring any likely monthly average right up.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

You really need to be a bit more specific - in opening post you claim to have received £200 of £4,320 he owes you this year but that bears no resemblance to the numbers shown above

EXACTLY what was loaned and agreed with who ?
  • mkooo
    edited 4 June 2018 at 8:46PM
    k3lvc wrote: »
    You really need to be a bit more specific - in opening post you claim to have received £200 of £4,320 he owes you this year but that bears no resemblance to the numbers shown above

EXACTLY what was loaned and agreed with who ?

If you add the £200 to what I have from my syster that almost adds up to the total amount leant . She told me after working out some differences of their own that she would be paying £3270 and he £4230.

To be honest I don!!!8217;t remember the precise terms, it would have been a loose !!!8220;of course we!!!8217;ll make sure you get it back within x years!!!8221; , I think 3 or 4 I said. Although I don!!!8217;t know that I precisely spoke to both of them about it when that was discussed, probably just my sister.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    In post #4 you said your sister has paid most of it back already, and there's still over £5k owing of a £7.5k loan !
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • mkooo
    In post #4 you said your sister has paid most of it back already, and there's still over £5k owing of a £7.5k loan !

Most of her share :)
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Most of her share :)

The more the thread goes on, the more nonsense it seems, overall it looks like you are making a drama out of the split.

Lots of issues going on, you say 4 years to pay, yet it's been just over a year, you lent a couple some money yet you only seem to be interested in money off the none blood relative.

Indeed there is probably lots more to the story that you haven't posted or want to drip feed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure