Pension company not telling me what my pots worth

Options

Comments

• Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    singhini wrote: »
    Hold on; ive just had a thought: if its a final salary pension then the pot wont go up or down (the £80,000 pot will always be £80,000) and I will only ever get an annual pension of £3,500

There is no pot. What there s is a transfer value which is the amount they will pay you to take the obligation of paying the pension of their hands. That will be a bit less than they expect it to cost them, and may go up or down.

Further the pension is probably indexed linked, but you should check your scheme details to make sure.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The transfer value is based on a complicated calculation of what they think they need to invest now to pay you £3.5k a year from Age 65 until you die and maybe a 50% spouses pension after that.

Typically that will be based on a large proportion of that £80k being invested in low yielding Gilts or similar bonds as they can't take the risk that equity markets will be significantly down at the point they need to be paying out so go for a high proportion of "low risk" investments.

Obviously they are doing this in aggregate for all their members not for each individual one and will know the age, demographics, prospective amounts they need in cash per month / year, inflation estimates and so on.

Transfer values have been at at historic highs recently as Gilt Yields are very low (ties in with interest rates) so your £80k will move around. Your £3.5k a year, index linked probably, for life won't vary much from estimate to estimate.
  • bompey
    bompey Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I worked at this place for about 7 years and even though its a final salary pension the £3,500 is rubbish (I would rather leave it with them until I'm 54 and transfer it into a cash SIPP and when I turn 55 and retire start to take the money as cash withdrawals: taking £11,500 each year out thus avoiding income tax and spending all the money over 7 ish years)
    Everyone keeps saying final salary pensions are brilliant - well my one isn't its a bag of old nails boo hiss :(

So for a 7 year stint you get a pension of £3500 which is probably index linked. Given we all work for let's say 40 years if you had had another 6 jobs with the same pension you would be looking at £25k pension plus another £8k state pension. That's not horrendous and if there's 2 of you not bad at all.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe it's not surprising but it is still moderately shocking that so many people don't see what a db pension is worth.

If the OP gets a cetv now, then the pension value will probably have increased to certainly above £100k and possibly pushing £150k. Since when is this a trivial amount of money to anyone in a normal job?

It does make you wonder why they are still protected in the public sector as the ignorance of value is no better, I know much is to do with deferred liability and arguably reducing future benefits payments but I just imagine the delight in many faces if they are given a minor salary increase and a basic DC scheme, with the employer having saved tens if not hundreds of thousands per employee.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    I worked at this place for about 7 years and even though its a final salary pension the £3,500 is rubbish
    Hang on, they are effectively saying they'll give you £3,500 a year, plus indexing, plus spousal benefits for seven years work. And pay it for the rest of your life after age 65. Wow.

£80,000 pot value.

How much were your own contributions to achieve this "rubbish" return?
  • singhini
    singhini Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    [QUOTE=_How_much_were_your_own_contributions_to_achieve_this_"rubbish"_return?[/QUOTE]

That's a fair question Peacefulwaters and the honest answer is £8,250 +£125 in DC payments (having looked over my paperwork and organising it into piles ready for me to look over this weekend I discovered that I put random payments worth £125 into a DC pension pot and it looks like this pots transfer value is £850 and will pay out an annual pension of £31)

So looks like ive got both DB and DC pension pots

i recognise i sound like a whinger and most of my moans come out of frustrations as i don't understand pensions.
    What's frustrating me is seeing £80,000 and then £3,500 (my brain quickly calculates that to get my £80,000 at a rate of £3,500 will take me 23 years and so I'm frustrated because i cant see me living 65+23 years). i would rather have the £80,000 transferred into a SIPP in the next few years and start to spend it over the next 7-10 years

I will look over the paperwork and i will try my best to respond to the questions in post #9 by Xylophone
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Options
    You don't have a pot. You have a promise to pay you a guaranteed inflation proofed income for life. The level of income (rubbish or not, depending on your perspective) was determined by the length of time you worked there and your salary at the date you left.

It is possible to give up all your rights to this really valuable index-linked pension (often referred to as the gold standard of pensions) and take a transfer value instead. The transfer value is calculated on the basis of an equivalent value of what it would cost the scheme to provide your final salary pension. So you don't specifically gain anything through taking the CETV per se.

The equivalent value is based on assets return the scheme expect to achieve over your likely remaining future lifetime - it's a complicated calculation and allow for the fact that your benefits increase in line with an assumed rate of future inflation. If asset returns are expected to change, or their expectations of inflation change or future life expectancies change, so can your value. If nothing changes, your value will generally go up as you get older and get nearer the payment date.

When you transfer, you have to put it into another pension which you can't touch until you reach the minimum access age. This comes with no promises. Investments will need to be chosen and these will fluctuate in value in line with the underlying assets that the money is invested in. Overtime, it's generally hoped they would go up in value :) You then have the opportunity to withdraw the money in a pattern that suits you once you access the funds, rather than the defined method dictated by a DB scheme.

However, by law, you can't do this without taking regulated financial advice since your CETV is worth more than £30k. And that will probably cost at least £2k. There are no guarantees that you'll get a green light form the adviser to transfer if their professional opinion is that it's not in your best interests. However, once you've taken the advice, you don't have to follow it, if you can find a pension provider who'll accept your money anyway.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What's frustrating me is seeing £80,000 and then £3,500 (my brain quickly calculates that to get my £80,000 at a rate of £3,500 will take me 23 years

But that would only be correct if it wasn't index linked. The value of that index linking depends on the exact rules, but as a first approximation it will be at least double the value of a fixed payment.
  • singhini
    singhini Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    So having read the letter from two years ago, this is what I took from it:

1 - As suggested, as its a DB scheme and the transfer value is over £30,000 I will need to take advise and be able to prove I have taken advise should I want to transfer the money to a DC scheme (I'm thinking i could just take free advise from people like Pension Wise, Citizens Advice or Pension Advisory Service)

2 - The transfer value is guaranteed for 3 months from the point of them writing to me

3 - They want original passport and birth certificates should I want t transfer the money (not photocopies)

4 - transfer value is £80,000 which includes member contributions

5 - there is "attaching provisions for your dependents" (I haven't got any)

6 - its covered by the pension protection fund

It concludes that I need to read the scheme policy booklet (which I haven't got). So I cant answer Xylophone's questions in post #9

A completely different letter addressed to me basically tells me the fund is circa £580 million short and they intend to put £33 million into it every year until 2027 to make good the shortfull.

I going to ring them again on Monday and ask them again where is my letter / email with an upto date transfer value (as its been 3 weeks and ive had no correspondence).

thereafter I will leave the money alone and just before my 55th birthday I will transfer this pension (along with all the other pension pots into a single SIPP), then aged 55 I will start to withdraw circa £11,500 (or whatever the HMRC tax free allowance is when I'm 55) and live off these funds and bank savings (eventually liquidating the SIPP and using up my bank savings and eventually selling my current house and moving into a retirement flat and finally living off the proceeds of the house sale.

I came into this world with nothing and I intend to leave it with nothing
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,013 Forumite
    Options
    I will need to take advise and be able to prove I have taken advise should I want to transfer the money to a DC scheme (I'm thinking i could just take free advise from people like Pension Wise, Citizens Advice or Pension Advisory Service)

It is not that straightforward. You need an advice from an IFA who got special qualification to analyse if the transfer is worth it or not. They don't come cheap since it is easily one of the most riskiest transactions that the IFA have done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure