Modelling agency warning (First Step Modelling / Distinctive Model Advice)

Options
jackielim
jackielim Posts: 14 Forumite
edited 18 January 2018 at 9:22AM in Praise, vent & warnings
Hey all,

Just a warning regarding modelling agency First Step Modelling.

In my case, they dangled a "modelling job" and say that professional photos need to be taken to apply for the job. The photoshoot cost from £290, and afterwards, they said that the photos cannot be used unless retouched and it cost £350 (£35 per photo, and they said they must have 10 photos). I felt very pressurised to make these purchases as they said I need to decide immediately or the modelling job will be gone. They also said I was 100% guaranteed for the job, which never happened.

Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way and have lost the money. So I am here to warn anyone who is new on the modelling scene.

I did further research on First Step Modelling and found out that:
(a) Southwest Studios (where FSM said would be a professional studio for doing a retouching) and Hyde Park Studios (where FSM said would be the professional photoshoot studio) seemed like it was connected to the FSM operation because the owner of both domains is the same person who owned the First Step Modelling domain.

(b) FSM is not registered with Companies House. The organisation registered at the same address (text removed by MSE Forum Team) is VenusLondon, and they used to be registered at (text removed by MSE Forum Team). I then learned that there were many so called modelling agencies/support organisations, e.g. Dio Models, Nexus Models, Fashion Mode London, and now Distinctive Modelling Advice, which had their address at (text removed by MSE Forum Team).

(c) In addition, I have google imaged on their images on their web sites, and found out that they have taken those images from other web sites or stock photos.

Personally, I feel that "agencies" or "modelling advice" organisations that are resident at the above addresses should be approached with caution. You should also keep checking Venus London's companies house file to see if they have moved address again, and then check whether an agency that has gotten in touch with you is resident at that address.

No reputable agency will charge you money in order to get a job. So please be aware, and never part with your money. Google BBC newsbeat article on modelling {text removed by MSE Investigator}.

I have learned a hard lesson, and just want to warn those new on the modelling scene to be aware. In summary:
1. If they are trying to get you to buy photos, say no. If a person is truly a good person, they would not be pressurising you as well to part with your money.
2. Check whether images on their web sites are genuine via Google Image
3. Check whether they are registered on Companies House, and whether there are other "modelling agencies" in the past that have had the same residency
4. Check carefully their testimonials and reviews, as many positive reviews may not necessarily be genuine
5. Be wary of Gumtree posters that advertise/promise modelling jobs (I learned about their open casting on Gumtree)

NOTE - update 4th Sept - FSM has contacted me. Please see my post below.
NOTE - update 12 Oct - FSM tried to pull down my review from TrustPilot again - this time claiming I am not a genuine customer.
NOTE - updates 12 Oct:
(a) thank you Clive Hurst for reporting FSM's misleading Gumtree ad to Advertising Standards Agency
(b) thank you Mirror for investigating and reporting First Step Modelling and Distinctive Models Advice. The title of the Mirror article is "Gushing compliments, promises of riches, and then the hard sell – what happens at a “no fees” model photo shoot" and it was written by Andrew Penn.
(c) I have submitted my own complaint to ASA on FSM, and will update when I hear from ASA.
NOTE - update 16 Oct: communications with FSM for evidence regarding authenticity of job advertisement, otherwise to refund the money for photoshoot and retouched services - FSM agreed to refund the money and has done so.
(d) Report on how ASA dealt with my complaint on FSM has been summarised and posted - see post on 18 January 2018.

All the best.

Comments

• maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    No legitimate model agency will ask a prospective model for money up front,
    and especially not for photographs. Have you reported them to Trading Standards??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • jackielim
    edited 14 November 2017 at 10:28AM
    Options
    Thanks, that's a good idea, I will report them to Trading Standards.

I have already reported them to Action Fraud - they have not gotten back to me but I hope having the report on their files would make them aware of {text removed by MSE Investigator} operations, especially if more reports come in.

I asked Lloyds to negate the transaction and presented them with all the activities above which I believe clearly show these guys as very suspicious. However, Lloyds would not side with me in the dispute as I do not have paperwork or any written evidence to show that they promised me a job, or that they said the photos are needed for a job. All the paperwork I have was what they asked me to sign for the photoshoot, which is simply that for a photoshoot and retouching.

So I guess another tip if anyone is approaching agencies, make sure everything they promise you is in writing before you sign anything. But hopefully, you wouldn't even get to this point where they can pressure you with sales tactic and urgency of the job.
  • RoonilWazlib_2
    Options
    Trading Standards don't take direct calls any more. Call Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454040506 to report it. They will refer it to TS for review.

TS cant always directly intervene but the more reports they get, the easier it becomes to take action.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 November 2017 at 10:28AM
    Options
    The media have been warning about these {text removed by MSE Investigator} for years; not that they'd affect me.:rotfl:
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 November 2017 at 10:29AM
    Options
    No legitimate model agency will ask a prospective model for money up front,
    and especially not for photographs. Have you reported them to Trading Standards??

Nor would they be allowed to. However, if you read the T and C's, they make it clear that they are a studio and not an agency (the euphemism they use is 'modelling platform'). Which enables them to sidestep the regulations.
    {Text removed by MSE Investigator}
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Nor would they be allowed to. However, if you read the T and C's, they make it clear that they are a studio and not an agency (the euphemism they use is 'modelling platform'). Which enables them to sidestep the regulations.
    {Text removed by MSE Investigator}

I think there was a recent-ish thread about another similar agency too.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OP you would be better off letting everone you know or at least those with kids about this {Text removed by MSE Investigator}.

Where were you approached OP, a shopping centre ? If so maybe speak to the owners of the centre and inform them {Text removed by MSE Investigator}.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    These {Text removed by MSE Investigator} have definitely been covered by the usual consumer programs on TV & Radio.

As others have mentioned:-

- No reputable modelling agency requires payment from candidates prior to assessing their suitability.

- In the coverage above, modelling agencies have stated that the photos provided {Text removed by MSE Investigator} are not suitable to be used as a model's portfolio (and this could be potential grounds upon which to take them through a Small Claims case based on the Sale of Goods Act principles).

- If there is misleading content on their website, you could also complain to the ASA who now regulate the web content of UK companies advertising to the Public.
  • jackielim
    edited 18 October 2017 at 10:37AM
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies and advice on where to report.

FSM got in touch with me today saying that because I have written negative reviews about them that I should contact James to discuss everything. I have no idea who (text removed by MSE Forum Team) is and their own email also doesn't give any contact details about (text removed by MSE Forum Team) - I hope this isn't a standard cut-and-paste response that they send to people who have written negative reviews on them.

In addition, FSM said that they take this matter very seriously and may find legal advice.

I believe I have every right to write a review based on my personal experience. In response to FSM, I have encouraged them to write their own response in this thread and/or on TrustPilot where I have also reviewed them. That way the public can make up their own minds whether my personal experience of FSM is representative or not of their business practices.

Personally, the whole experience has caused me great emotional distress, including receiving an email today from them. To me, the e-mail seems like a veiled threat. However, I will keep my reviews online because they are genuinely my own personal experience, and I do not want another person to feel as horrible as I did.

Best wishes.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jackielim wrote: »
    Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies and advice on where to report.

FSM got in touch with me today saying that because I have written negative reviews about them that I should contact James to discuss everything. I have no idea who James is and their own email also doesn't give any contact details about James - I hope this isn't a standard cut-and-paste response that they send to people who have written negative reviews on them.

In addition, FSM said that they take this matter very seriously and may find legal advice.

I believe I have every right to write a review based on my personal experience. In response to FSM, I have encouraged them to write their own response in this thread and/or on TrustPilot where I have also reviewed them. That way the public can make up their own minds whether my personal experience of FSM is representative or not of their business practices.

Personally, the whole experience has caused me great emotional distress, including receiving an email today from them. To me, the e-mail seems like a veiled threat. However, I will keep my reviews online because they are genuinely my own personal experience, and I do not want another person to feel as horrible as I did.

Best wishes.

You do, as long as it is truthful. But if you make allegations that are potentially libellous, then they could in theory sue you, though in reality the chance of that is remote.
    As long as you stick to the proven facts, then you should be OK, as truth is a valid defence to a claim of libel.
    As you say, they have contacted you mentioning legal action in order to intimidate you.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport