Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    suki1964 wrote: »
    I have seb derm and head and shoulders is the only shampoo I can use for any length of time. Regardless is a non brand contains the same active ingredients

Same with fairy, Persil and Sensodyne , I pay for those

Sensodyne is available in Aldi. (Just thought I ought to mention a good buy from Aldi;)).
    Doc_N wrote: »
    How so? Price increases are primarily related to the drop in the value of the pound, and to rising raw materials costs (such as milk). And they're happening across all supermarket groups in the UK - it's not that the price war is over, it's simply that supermarkets prefer to make profits rather than losses.

But more so in some than others. All supermarkets need to make a profit but profiteering is different. Some are taking advantage of across the board rises in commodities to sneak in some additional rises in the hope that shoppers are too busy, lazy or stupid to notice.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I had a voucher for Morrisons, so I thought I'd try their Decaffeinated Instant Coffee instead of my usual Lidl/Bellarom one.

The Lidl one is far, far superior - nearly as good as the properly expensive branded coffee, and a fraction of the price (was £1.29 for 100g the last time I bought it). I definitely recommend it, and don't be put off if it's still ridiculously cheap.

Hmm... mysupermarket is saying £1.09 and out of stock. :(
  • robrymond
    robrymond Posts: 698
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    One thing I noticed is that Aldi currently have no own label toothpaste. They just currently have Colgate for 79p and Sensodyne.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    The decaff ground coffee is finally back in stock in my Aldi (200g silvery blue packet, £1.69) after being MIA for quite some time.

Something new - little cube packs of frozen herbs, they only had chilli left in my store. 89p

The tomato puree has been repackaged, black background tubes now, not white, red, green -tubes are 37p. Think these have crept up a bit in price since last year.

A heads up for one of the nicest chilled ready meals out, a proper hot Chicken Jalfrezi, bay leaf in with the lovely rice, big chunks of chicken and just £1.49.

I fancied making a milk jelly (my mum called it mousse) the other day. Hartley's jelly in Tesc0 is 54p, raspberry, strawberry or orange in Aldi is 32p. Tesco no longer seem to make an own brand 'make your own' jelly.
    Tesco evaporated milk 410g is 55p, Carnation £1.20, Aldi is 49p.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    ... Decaffeinated Instant Coffee ... Lidl/Bellarom ...

Plenty in stock at Lidl, but predictably now £1.39. Still much cheaper and better than similar products elsewhere (£1.85 seems to be the going rate for the big supermarkets).
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    The decaff ground coffee is finally back in stock in my Aldi (200g silvery blue packet, £1.69) after being MIA for quite some time.

Something new - little cube packs of frozen herbs, they only had chilli left in my store. 89p

The tomato puree has been repackaged, black background tubes now, not white, red, green -tubes are 37p. Think these have crept up a bit in price since last year.

A heads up for one of the nicest chilled ready meals out, a proper hot Chicken Jalfrezi, bay leaf in with the lovely rice, big chunks of chicken and just £1.49.

I fancied making a milk jelly (my mum called it mousse) the other day. Hartley's jelly in Tesc0 is 54p, raspberry, strawberry or orange in Aldi is 32p. Tesco no longer seem to make an own brand 'make your own' jelly.
    Tesco evaporated milk 410g is 55p, Carnation £1.20, Aldi is 49p.

The ground coffee has been back for a while in mine, the cubes of frozen herbs have been available for a long time in my store.

They have tins of millicano, copy in my store £2.29 or less. My oh only drinks carte noire and my ds only Aldi latte sachets work.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,581
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Got 2 250ml Ladies Dove deodorants at £3 on multi buy, great price.

Also the 4pk kitchen roll on weekend special, thanks to earlier poster.

The £1.09 small cheeses are gone, now £1.35 in a more limited variety. Didn't seem to do Red Leicester but did have the bigger size at a good price £1.75.

Very disappointingly the cheese and chive waffle snacks were gone, seemed to be replaced with cheese and chive party mix.

Same size & price but sadly not suitable for me.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    None of the Cravendale-style fresh filtered milk at all in Lidl today - they haven't dropped that as well from the range, have they?
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    None of the Cravendale-style fresh filtered milk at all in Lidl today - they haven't dropped that as well from the range, have they?

It's a gimmick. Normal milk lasts just as long if you keep it at a consistent temperature. I buy a 4 pint milk and it lasts me a month.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    It's a gimmick. Normal milk lasts just as long if you keep it at a consistent temperature. I buy a 4 pint milk and it lasts me a month.
    Opened?! :eek:
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure