Menstrual Money Saving

Comments

• teamshepherd
    teamshepherd Posts: 187 Forumite
    This is not related to the tampon/cup discussion but I do have a PMS related question which I'm hoping someone can help me with.
    What is the equivalent of Midol here in the UK?
    Midol is a pill with acetaminophen, caffeine and pyrilamine. I am forever buying off brand products but this was one brand name that was worth paying for as far as I am concerned.
    It gave me energy, got rid of my back pain, cramps and other period related discomfort and it stopped that terrible bloat.
    Now is there something like this that I can buy here, or should I just try to DIY this?
  • teamshepherd
    basilplant wrote: »
    Can anyone give an idea as to how long a mooncup should last? I see they are £19.99 on the website. I use approximately a pack and a half of non-applicator tampons per month which works out at 65p a pack or about 98p a month...so I'd need the mooncup to last the best part of two years to be value for money.

Where do you get them for 65p if you don't mind me asking? Best deal I found is Asda brad and its more than that.
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    This is not related to the tampon/cup discussion but I do have a PMS related question which I'm hoping someone can help me with.
    Midol is a pill with acetaminophen, caffeine and pyrilamine. I am forever buying off brand products but this was one brand name that was worth paying for as far as I am concerned.
    It gave me energy, got rid of my back pain, cramps and other period related discomfort and it stopped that terrible bloat.
    Now is there something like this that I can buy here, or should I just try to DIY this?

I found these available online here http://www.biovea.com/UK/product_detail.aspx?NAME=MIDOL-Maximum-Strength-24-Caplets&PID=6208&OS=237
  • teamshepherd
    HB58 wrote: »

My days they are dear! :eek:
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    My days they are dear! :eek:

It's worth having a word with your local pharmacist. It is possible they have something very similar which is cheaper, or they might be able to sell the components separately.
  • sazaccount
    sazaccount Posts: 537
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite

Hi the acetaminophen and caffeine is an easy combo to get its normally called paracetamol extra or fast acting by the looks of it it's the pryilamine that's hard to get in the UK possibly only in a spray form for stings best asking a pharmist if there's any other simuar antihistamines.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • Great thread, as were the previous ones. We've added it to our Recycle Week hub
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • pebbles88
    pebbles88 Posts: 1,464
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    flea72 wrote: »
    Ok, its doesnt 'pop' open. Your muscles will be holding it closed to some extent, so it will gradually unfurl as you move about and it find where it needs to settle. Personally i find how far in it is, has more effect on how it unfurls, rather than the fold used

:eek::eek::eek:
    No no no

I had issues to start with. I use the C fold. I find it easiest to tell if its opened up or not properly with this one.

Despite not feeling as though you are, I think its really easy to tense up a bit. I used to find it quite uncomfortable to remove the FemmeCup but it doesn't bother me in the slightest now, think I've just toughened up!

I find that my cervix lies differently (usually lower) some days which makes it harder to get it in the right place. Before it has opened up but not around my cervix = classic disaster as soon as you move around or leave the house! :eek:

So I try to stop the tendency of shoving it up really far (sorry to be blunt!) because I'm more likely to position it incorrectly.

My method is:

1) Hold it in C fold in whichever hand you write with (thumb and middle finger)

2) Insert but twist a little at the same time. Mine is never not open if I twist it to give it chance to open.

3) Run my middle finger around the entire circumference to make sure that my cervix is covered, and that it definitely isn't folded.

I also cut the stem off. The stem would basically barely be in me otherwise. But the cup sits low enough to squeeze the base of it to release the seal.

I disagree that it should be closed. If mine isn't open properly immediately after insertion then it will 100% leak. This is where I was going wrong. I thought that if it felt a bit flat in certain positions, that it would open out when I moved about but sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't.

Yes, never leaked using the same method and I have a very heavy flow. The cervix check used to weird me out to start with, I don't even notice now! :rotfl:
    Please be nice to all moneysavers!
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
  • budgetmom
    budgetmom Posts: 5 Forumite
    Mooncups are brilliant.. if only they had the advertising cash behind them that other sanitary protection has! they're better for the environment, much cheaper, more comfortable & healthier (you just have to sterilize it). what's disgusting is the way we've all been brainwashed that it's OK to use & throw away hundreds of sanitary items a year in the name of companies' profits, masquerading as "hygiene".
    Wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure..
  • +1 for the moon cup.

I bought one, and kept it for months before trying - just the yuck factor. Once I got used to it, I wouldn't give it up. First time I used it I left the stalk too long, man that hurt.

I've had to use tampons 1-2 times since, I've been away and didn't have it with me...I find I get cramps, etc... which I don't have with the MC. It's more environmentally friendly, cheaper, more comfortable, no smells, I feel fresher, no cramps - I'll never go back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure