PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord being an idiot

Options

Comments

• JohnnyZee
    JohnnyZee Posts: 41 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2017 at 7:23PM
    Options
    Thanks guys.

What if the tenant and the LL cannot agree on the cost? What happens? Does it go to tribunal?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you'd moved in and the landlord had said "Sorry there are only 3 sets of keys, but the last tenant said they'd lost their set" .... would you sleep at night?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 October 2017 at 8:59PM
    Options
    You seem to have accepted now that the tenant is liable for the cost resulting from his loss of the keys. Good.

So - what is a 'reasonable' replacement cost and how does the tenant know that the LL is charging a reasonable amount?

This was answered in post 2 above! Identify the existing lock, go to a locksmith, and get a quote for a similar replacement! (along with sufficient spare keys for everyone in the building, the landlord, and whoever else had a set (eg agent? cleaner? etc)
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You mention that the LL won't provide receipts. Have they said as much?

If your friend doesn't believe the LL costs are accurate have the offered to get a locksmith to replace the locks with an identical specification. The LL probably wouldn't mind as they would get a copy of the invoice proving the exact spec has been duplicated.

Your friend however probably wont be too impressed as it may cost more.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JohnnyZee wrote: »
    What if the tenant and the LL cannot agree on the cost? What happens? Does it go to tribunal?

I don't see why they can't agree, it should be the cost of buying and fitting a lock similar to the existing one.

However if they can't, the LL may change the locks at his cost now or at the end of the tenancy. He can either
    1. sue the tenant for breaching the agreement clause that states tenants pay for reasonable costs of lock and key replacement; the court would decide whether its reasonable and may award the LL court costs too
    2. deduct the cost from your deposit as something you should have paid for. If you dispute it with the deposit scheme, they can arbitrate whether the cost is reasonable.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    saajan_12 wrote: »
    I don't see why they can't agree, it should be the cost of buying and fitting a lock similar to the existing one.

However if they can't, the LL may change the locks at his cost now or at the end of the tenancy. He can either
    1. sue the tenant for breaching the agreement clause that states tenants pay for reasonable costs of lock and key replacement; the court would decide whether its reasonable and may award the LL court costs too
    2. deduct the cost from your deposit as something you should have paid for. If you dispute it with the deposit scheme, they can arbitrate whether the cost is reasonable.

And/or issue a Section 21 to terminate the tenancy because 'the tenant is being an idiot'.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I understand that it is a bit irresponsible to lose a set of keys but you cannot let the tenant bear the full cost.

Why not? He lost them.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys.

No, it gets deducted from the deposit!

Tribunal? Give me strength
  • wantonnoodle
    Options
    This doesn't seem to make sense to me - in the 5 different rentals I've had, none have them have had an open ended charge for replacing lost keys/changing locks as the OP has here. 4 of them had a flat charge of £25 and the last tenancy had a flat rate of £50 plus a call out fee if out of hours. This was charged regardless of if it was just a replacement key, or if it was a whole new lock. These tenancies were in Leeds and Greater Manchester, so I guess there could be a north/south divide on how its done.

I never lost any keys however so never needed to test it out, but given that locks outlast tenancies, I think its a fairer way of apportioning cost.
  • JohnnyZee
    Options
    Ok, I have now gotten some more information. The lock the tenant wants to change is "ERA" brand, not the more expensive "EVVA". That identical lock can be obtained for about £40 from various hardware shops. Also, to duplicate the 2 other keys would cost £10 each. So total cost should be about £60ish.

Now tell me, is the landlord being fair by asking for £150?? Who decides what is the right price? And I understand the landlord is free to put whatever lock he wants, but can he just pass on the cost to the tenant without their say? Also, is it fair to ask to landlord to furnish receipts?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure