Small Business Grant from Firm

Hello, I have been contacted by Grants and Funding.

I have my own business which has been running for 7-8 years as a design agency. I am a sole trader.

The firm contacted me, using admin@grantsandfunding.org.uk, and suggested that they could go and see if there were any possible grants or loans for my business.

They have come back and said that I have been matched to a grant by Haven Funding PLC, called an HFG1.

So far the requirements are that they provide 70% of the final figure and I match with 30% from my own funds. HOWEVER, the funds are to be in a business account of my choosing, so HSBC, and that they will then transfer my grant, less the 30%. They ask for a copy of the bank statement each month to confirm that the grant has been spent on work related costs, machinery, IT equipment etc. At no stage do I transfer funds to them, everything stays in my name and in my account. They say that any funds must be spent within 6 months.

Has anyone had any experience of a small business grant?

Has anyone had any issues with this firm, or firms like this?

Am I naive in the fact that the money stays in my bank account in my details, and is then insured through HSBC?

I'm hoping this is not too good to be true, but you never know. So far, in both calls, they have asked for nothing other than my company details, no bank details, no personal information etc.

Thank you

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    there was exactly the same question only a few days ago

"almost" (?) certainly a scam

read this thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5689121
  • tireddad
    tireddad Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 22 September 2017 at 10:29PM
    thank you 00ec25, yes reading that thread has many similarities.

the only point that stands out to me is how can they scam me if the business account is in my name, with a bank of my choosing. i only suggest hsbc as thats who i bank with.

it appears the thread you listed says he had to use their bank to get a CC with them.

The chap on the phone today gave no details other than i would need a business account that they could transfer the funds to. he did not say it had to be with them, or any other bank, just a bank as a business acount.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 October 2017 at 6:55PM
    tireddad wrote: »
    thank you 00ec25, yes reading that thread has many similarities.

the only point that stands out to me is how can they scam me if the business account is in my name, with a bank of my choosing. i only suggest hsbc as thats who i bank with.

it appears the thread you listed says he had to use their bank to get a CC with them.

The chap on the phone today gave no details other than i would need a business account that they could transfer the funds to. he did not say it had to be with them, or any other bank, just a bank as a business acount.
    as it appears you have already made up your mind go ahead and take it. There is little point in your further posting on here to seek advice on whether to have it or not
    tireddad wrote: »
    Hello, I have been contacted by Grants and Funding.

I have my own business which has been running for 7-8 years as a design agency. I am a sole trader.

The firm contacted me, using admin@grantsandfunding.org.uk, and suggested that they could go and see if there were any possible grants or loans for my business.

They have come back and said that I have been matched to a grant by Haven Funding PLC, called an HFG1.
    just make sure you do then post up here sufficient detailed evidence to allow others to see if you were right to do so. For example, it would be interesting to know why they have identified Haven Funding PLC as having the funding stream for which you "qualify", given Haven's stated principal activity is to lend money to Housing Associations.... (I assume you are not a HA!)
  • I would stay well clear of this............
    All sounds very iffy to me.
    For example.....
    'They ask for a copy of the bank statement each month to confirm that the grant has been spent on' ????
    What use is a bank statement to prove expenditure ???
    An invoice is what they should be asking for.
    Walk away............
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,519 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    It is almost certainly a scam. How can a company know you are eligible for a grant from a single phone call? Grants need forms filling in, business assessments, contracts signing.

Easy enough to check with your local business support agency. Could be Local Council, Chamber of Commerce, Economic Partnership, etc.

Do so before losing money.
  • I have also recently been contacted by this company offering a grant. I was accepted I filled out the forms for business master card and was accepted for that as well.
    Well today I had 6300 put onto the master card.
    Now alarm are ringing I have not put my 30% onto this card reasons below.

1) The most recent email from them states I must put my money on before next Monday
    or they can withdraw the funding.
    2) On checking their master card it is different to the genuine one. I believe the link they sent me to apply for the card goes direct to them and its false.
    3) Nobody could have any access to your funds unless you gave them your pin number.
    I don't believe I will ever get a card from them and once I put my money on they would have disappeared with it.
    They are very clever ,but not clever enough please don't fall for it
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I think I posted on (at least I read) another thread recently that was very similar in nature.

There is a lot of grant money in some areas, however you'd be much better to apply through your local LEP or asking your business hub what is around than relying on a company claiming there is 'free money' going to everyone.

My advice was not to accept and to apply through the proper channels to the other poster, which is advice that has remained the same.
    💙💛 💔
  • ZMI
    ZMI Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 5 October 2017 at 10:58PM
    Hi,

I am also self employed and work in design. This company contacted me too. I was sceptical, but I went along with it to see what would happen. I search for the company online using their company number 04137247. They are registered as Corum Business Finance Ltd. Their directors are listed as [Removed] registered in Woking, Surry.

I got similar chat to what you've described. I got a text a few days ago saying I had been successful in my grant application and to go online to book an appointment. I made a telephone appointment for today and was called back. They also offered me and HFG1 matching grant where I could get £5000, but had to pay 30% myself. The line was terrible and the guy sounded like he was calling on Skype or something. I said I only need about £1000 to £1500 for the things I need to do to grow my business and that £5000 was too much to see what he'd say. He quickly said this grant probably wasn't for me as £5000 was the minimum - I am guessing that translates as they wouldn't be able to scam me out of enough to make it worth their while! I politely declined and hung up.

This is almost certainly a scam. I also checked with my local Business Gateway and online for trustworthy grant funding for what I require for my type of business and guess what? There isn't anything legitimate that I could find.

No one gives money away for free! Stay clear!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure