Router keeps losing internet connection

J_B
J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
We swapped from Plusnet to John Lewis about 3 months ago (this may be purely coincidental)

Since then we keep losing the internet connection.

Android phone has the wi-fi icon with an exclamation mark.
Laptop has the wi-fi icon in the notification area but with the yellow mark saying 'connected to Sagemcom - no internet)

A simple reboot rectifies the problem, but it's really annoying!:mad:

We have tried the old Plusnet router and a new JL (Sagemcom) one.

We have replaced the filtered faceplate.

We have tried using different wi-fi channels ... all to no avail!

Has anyone got any bright ideas?

Comments

• walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Standard broadband or fibre? How big is your house? Does proximity to the router make a difference?
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    use a cable, yes it is a pita, but that way you get to measure your true speed, check if the connection keeps going up and down, rather than wifi.

You will also have to examine those router logs
  • J_B
    walwyn1978 wrote: »
    Standard broadband or fibre? How big is your house? Does proximity to the router make a difference?
    Standard rural 2.75Meg BB
    Large (?) 2006 built timber framed house.

We've not had this problem in the 10 years that we've lived here till recent months.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    The "no internet" does not refer to the wifi signal, it's the router losing internet access. This could be down to it losing sync altogether, or it could be losing the PPP session to your provider's servers. CAll their tech support line and report the fault, they should talk you through troubleshooting and book any service calls for you.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 June 2018 at 6:08AM
    J_B wrote: »
    Standard rural 2.75Meg BB
    Large (?) 2006 built timber framed house.

We've not had this problem in the 10 years that we've lived here till recent months.

Large houses can make a difference. We changed provider and started having similar problems where the feed into the house was fine but the distribution was intermittent.

We solved it (eventually) by getting a 5G router (standard ISP provided routers are on 2.4G) and a plug in extender kit (one bit plugs in near the router and is connected, the other bit plugs in in a part of the house where the signal is weak, signal travels through internal wiring to get to the other bit).

Total cost for the 5G router and the extender was about £110, there is probably cheaper to be had but I work from home a lot and rely on internet for this so needed a fairly quick fix.

Edit: our router is a TP Link dual band one, looking on Google the price has dropped since we bought it so you should be able to spend much less than £110.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Log into the router admin page and find the system logs. Look in the logs and if you can filter results filter so it shows WAN connections. It'll then show if it is dropping the internet connection and why. If it is then you need to contact your ISP.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Have you tried the quiet line test? (Corded, analogue phone plugged in to the test socket behind the master socket faceplate. Dial 17020 option 2 and listen ... the line should be absolutely silent [apart from the voice saying "Quiet Line Test"]; any crackles, squeaks etc. then you have a line fault which needs to be fixed - line faults can also affect broadband).
  • J_B
    GunJack wrote: »
    The "no internet" does not refer to the wifi signal, it's the router losing internet access. This could be down to it losing sync altogether, or it could be losing the PPP session to your provider's servers. CAll their tech support line and report the fault, they should talk you through troubleshooting and book any service calls for you.
    I've had a 'ticket' running with them since 22nd April - they did find a line fault (since rectified) but now I thing we/they are clutching at straws.
    Last guy needed me to do a 'full reset' of the router (press a pin into the reset hole for 40 seconds) then set the wifi from auto to channel, but that made no difference

Tarambor wrote: »
    Log into the router admin page and find the system logs. Look in the logs and if you can filter results filter so it shows WAN connections. It'll then show if it is dropping the internet connection and why. If it is then you need to contact your ISP.
    As above - already contacted several times ... that's why I'm here for better advice. :D
    I'm not home till tomorrow, so will look at router logs then - any clues how to and what to look for exactly on the standard Sagemcom 2704 router?

Thanks all
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Post the router log on this site , or the newest 30 lines of it, but remove your real ip address.

If you see something along the line of connection or sync or login, then it is your isp. You may need to be a pita and get them to fix their stuff.

I was with plusnet, had the same thing, got the plusnet runaround for 2 months. The good thing is that my contract ended and Sky had a deal on too, so moved to sky and their service has been faultless, but slightly slower.

I'm unsure exactly how they switch over service, but of the opinion they just plug another patch lead into your line, and in my case suspect a duff lead or bad connection to the port
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As above - already contacted several times ... that's why I'm here for better advice. :D

Try swapping the cable that connects the phone line to the router.

Then connect a PC to the router with an Ethernet cable. Make sure you turn off wifi on the PC and check that it is using the wired connection.

Then test again to see if the disconnections still occur.
    Laptop has the wi-fi icon in the notification area but with the yellow mark saying 'connected to Sagemcom - no internet)

If that happens, open up a command prompt and type the each of the commands below to see if you get a response:
    [B]ipconfig /flushdns[/B]
    [B]ping google.co.uk[/B]
    [B]ping 8.8.8.8[/B]
    [B]ping [/B][I]<your router's IP address, e.g. 192.168.0.1>[/I]

If pinging google.co.uk succeds, the internet should be up and working for you. Check again.

If pinging google.co.uk fails, but 8.8.8.8 succeeds, DNS is failing. Your ISP (normally) provide your DNS servers, so contact them. Alternatively you can use free third-party DNS servers instead.

If pinging your router's IP fails, your local network is down. This needs to be fixed first. Check router settings, cabling, try only connecting a single device, etc. If none of that works, it's possible your router may be faulty.

If pinging 8.8.8.8 fails, but pinging your router succeeds, it's an issue with the internet connection itself -- contact your ISP.

Hope that helps :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport