PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor dragging their feet!

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    edited 5 January 2018 at 1:01PM
    aneary wrote: »
    The OP has a builder standing by.

No they don't. That's just to tart up their threats.

What on earth does 'a builder standing by' mean? Are they keeping a chunk of diary open for a job on a property that may or may not complete at some unspecified future time?

I'm a cross on the vendor's behalf.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    shortcrust wrote: »
    No they don't. That's just to tart up their threats.

I know that I'm just saying what his 'reason' was!!
  • EmmyLou30
    EmmyLou30 Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    People seem to be saying they think 4 weeks isn't a long period of time to be expecting replies to enquiries....I would argue that's a bl00dy long time with some very slack vendors and I'd be peed off too! It's your own house you're answering questions about, how hard can that be!?

When I was going through the process I responded to everything that arrived in the post either that very same day or the following day. No reason for delay. Possibly why one house purchase completed in about 5 weeks and the other one in about 6 (first with a chain, second time no chain). But it relies on everyone being super on the ball with responding to solicitors requests and I got lucky both times the vendors were as keen to exchange as I was so we all got on with it.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    EmmyLou30 wrote: »
    People seem to be saying they think 4 weeks isn't a long period of time to be expecting replies to enquiries....I would argue that's a bl00dy long time with some very slack vendors and I'd be peed off too! It's your own house you're answering questions about, how hard can that be!?

When I was going through the process I responded to everything that arrived in the post either that very same day or the following day. No reason for delay. Possibly why one house purchase completed in about 5 weeks and the other one in about 6 (first with a chain, second time no chain). But it relies on everyone being super on the ball with responding to solicitors requests and I got lucky both times the vendors were as keen to exchange as I was so we all got on with it.

1) you don't know the questions may have required investigations to answer
    2) weeks over holiday period is not a long time, not to mention additional postage times,
  • EmmyLou30
    EmmyLou30 Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    1) you don't know the questions may have required investigations to answer
    2) weeks over holiday period is not a long time, not to mention additional postage times,

That's very true, but in a perfect world the vendors would have had everything in order before they marketed - they must know the sort of questions that get asked as they asked them themselves when they bought the house.

I think the OP said said this was the 4 weeks before the Christmas holidays? As yes, I'd wipe off a week there for all the bank holidays as well as nothing will happen then.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    EmmyLou30 wrote: »
    That's very true, but in a perfect world the vendors would have had everything in order before they marketed - they must know the sort of questions that get asked as they asked them themselves when they bought the house.

And what of the vendors own transaction the onward purchase? Perhaps the mortgage application is still being processed, that's if they've found a house to move to yet.......

Vendors won't incur any legal costs until there's certainty.
  • Thanks to the majority of people for their helpful replies....

Who said 4 weeks.... i never.

I offered on the house on the 20th October and the vendors where keen to sell as it failed to sell the previous week at auction. If it did sell at auction they would only have had 28 days so i fail to see how im being unreasonable. When i offered we agreed we both would like it done for xmas and thought this was reasonable as there is no chain, they are moving in with family to raise more funds for a deposit on new home and at the time couldn't be nice enough to me considering it failed to sell previously.

Initially i was to purchase the property outright as it is not very expensive (in housing terms) so i instructed solicitors early November. I then decided to arrange a small mortgage on the property if it could be done quick enough and it was (as per my other post), so no hold ups.

My Sols got the initial paperwork and started searches and it was on the 4th Dec they had a few enquiries, so the 4 weeks is not to purchase the house but the amount of time it has taken the vendors to reply with the queries which i think is too long. When i arranged the survey i got a call saying the vendors can't let them in for 2 weeks.

I asked the vendors could i send a builder around the house to see what he needs late November and to quote me for it, we agreed a price and agreed he could "possibly" start early Jan as we both wanted it completed by Xmas, the builder is a family friend and it is his least busy time in Jan so I do have him on stand by to start but agree that even if i didn't i would still say this.

This time scale seems a long time for a no chain house purchase especially when at first they was as keen as me to complete by Xmas and where prepared to sell for a quick auction sale.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Why was the property being sold through an auction house? Sounds as if there's added complexities to this tale.
  • They apparently "wanted a quick sale", which is what i have been trying to achieve also, i missed the auction due to a family emergency and so was quite pleased it didn't sell.

Its nothing special and needs a bit of work but its what i was looking for really and is very local to me.
  • cjmillsnun
    cjmillsnun Posts: 615 Forumite
    20th of October? so not even three months?

I first offered on a House in February last year and completed in August.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure