The Giving Up Smoking Thread!!

Comments

• tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi nboldock. Welcome, welcome, Well done re. not smoking, you should both be very proud. That's fantastic. I had my last smoke on 1st of december 2007 and am sticking at it. went cold turkey. JoeHel will be along in due course to give you the factual lowdown on your gain with not smoking-she's brilliant, like a human encyclopaedia of not smoking facts!!! Keep posting, we're all very supportive of one another on this thread and will helo in any way we can.
    Better go to bed now, it's past the witching hour!!! ;)
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • nboldock
    nboldock Posts: 53 Forumite
    tattycath wrote: »
    Hi nboldock. Welcome, welcome, Well done re. not smoking, you should both be very proud. That's fantastic. I had my last smoke on 1st of december 2007 and am sticking at it. went cold turkey. JoeHel will be along in due course to give you the factual lowdown on your gain with not smoking-she's brilliant, like a human encyclopaedia of not smoking facts!!! Keep posting, we're all very supportive of one another on this thread and will helo in any way we can.
    Better go to bed now, it's past the witching hour!!! ;)

Thanks for the kind words.

We are also cold turkey. Last time (of many) I got nicotine patches on prescreption as I have a very cool GP, and they were great until I got to the last course (7mg) by which time I think I had fooled myself into a false sense of security and I got major jitters, was in a right state! Previously I had always done it cold turkey and found it a lot better. Certainly this time I feel different to any other quit attempt - I am 100% determined to quit and I am not even vaguely tempted to have one, although I am doing breathing exercises I learnt from the Click2Quit site (yep, I got the Quidco cashback, heh heh). They really help. I guess it is a case of "horses for courses" - everyone finds their own best way to quit. Cold Turkey for me everytime (well, if it's good enough for John Lennon... :rotfl: )
  • Welcome Nboldock, you come to the right place for support, these lot are fantastic!

Think the Champix is getting its grip now, had some weird dreams last night, and i slept really lightly almost like have haven't been to bed. Day 7 Today, then upping the strength tomorrow, for the full on effect:D

Have a good day everybody!
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning all :)

Welcome Nboldock, good luck for your quit, keep us updated. Check out post no. 1 for loads of tips and advice. :)

TNG, where are youuuuuuu???
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just signed your petition BE, thought I'd include the link on here...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=8216577&posted=1#post8216577
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've just signed the petition too!!! Thanks for link Jo
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • I have stopped today. Day 1 of a new healthy lifetstyle.
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
  • skintnow
    skintnow Posts: 60 Forumite
    Hello and welcome to the thread, how are you quitting? good luck and its a great place for motivation and help:beer:
  • Hi guys
    I'm back after stopping for 5 months i stupidly got very drunk and assumed i could had just the one..............fast forward a few days and i was back to smoking 20 a day! So iv taken the plunge again and this time will not let myself get drawn back in. Well done to those who have still stopped and im looking forward to joining you all again
    Kirsty x
    :j Stopped smoking - 2nd Jan 09:j
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    basilcat7 wrote: »
    Evening all... he's still not back then ! well done Melbury for 4 weeks and 2 days now.... fantastic.

well, I am struggling this weekend, don't know why or how. All I know is that I'm nearly on 4 weeks (mon) and I REALLY need one. won't though. Not even sure why I need one I just do.

hard this business isn't it? and I was the one who found it sooooo easy at the beginning. still, chin up all, well done, have a good night xx

hi bigears, well done dlb, and hi to EVERYONE else.:cool:

I can completely empathize with you Bas, I am just the same, especially when I have a drink. I am still getting this feeling in my stomach which is almost like hunger pangs, but not quite the same. Trouble is that instead of smoking I eat to try and get rid of it, I will be putting on tons of weight:eek: :eek:

If anything it is getting more difficult, I suppose in the early stages of quitting you get a buzz from actually achieving stopping, but then perhaps the novelty starts to wear off a bit!! A bit like the weight watchers winners, once they have achieved their goal they get despondent and put all of the weight back on.

You won't give in though and neither will I because I sure as hell haven't gone through the last four weeks for nothing and a little white stick will not defeat me.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport