THE FUTURE IS ONE BIG CHALLENGE AFTER ANOTHER for 3Dogs ....... and friends

3Dogs
3Dogs Posts: 14,092 Forumite
edited 31 December 2010 at 8:34PM in Debt free diaries
This is in effect Part 3 of my diary journey, Part 1 is here and Part 2 is here. Those diaries dealt with how we got into the problem we were in, and how we came to get help from MSE/CCCS to deal with the debt we were, and still are, in, and I thank my friends on here for their fantastic support during that time, which really kept me going, especially with my Mam in hospital for 3 weeks and in the Continuing Care Unit in a care home up in North Tyneside since 10th November 2010

However, from 1st January 2011, Mr 3Dogs and I are taking a different look at how we approach everything, and, so, we have set ourselves several challenges linked to our individual and joint debt, budgeting, spending & saving, raising extra funds, getting to grips with the house and garden, our diet and exercise. In other words, our whole way of life :D

I have detailed our challenges in the next posts, and will come back and update this as the year goes on, reflecting on how well, or otherwise, we do in the challenges we have set ourselves

I would like to invite anyone to set their challenges too, on a single post which they can update too as the year goes on – that way we can encourage and support each other along the way, with lots of back-slapping for successes and (((hugs))) when things don’t always go as planned :cool:

I’d better get those challenges posted up now then, so we can get on with the matter of dealing with them ................................. I really love planning, it’s the implementation I lack motivation for ..................................... so I am looking for support and advice to get me through the year and the dozen challenges I have set myself
:( Mr 3Dogs 3-7-12 :( 3Dogs'Mam 31-3-13 :(

Comments

• 3Dogs
    edited 19 February 2011 at 10:16PM
    THE CHALLENGES OF 3DOGS: Updated [STRIKE]22nd January[/STRIKE] 19th February

1. DRO - [STRIKE]all my paperwork is completed and accepted ready for submission by CCCS just as soon as I pay my £90 fee – so that has to be my first challenge of the year[/STRIKE] - paid fee, DRO submitted 12th Jan, granted 13th Jan 2011 so DFD 13th Jan 2012 :j All contact from my creditors has now stopped - no letters or phone calls :j

2. BUDGET – set out a full budget and stick to it – properly!! - withdrawing exact money for food shopping/dog food and only using that in the week - no more sneaky topping-up from other bank account This is working very well, am really pleased with it, and with myself :D

3. SAVE - set up a separate account to put aside money for annual and occasional spends such as heating oil, vet bills, van repairs/MOT/Car Tax, clothing, dentists/opticians, emergencies, etc - opened eSaving a/c with Nat West and going to transfer a set amount to it every month to cover these expenses. I am also running a 'Piggy-Savings' which is money left over from weekly grocery allowance, any other bits of cash which comes my way - I currently have £9.97 after 3 weeks :T :T

4. EBAY – I haven’t done any eBaying for over 4 months now, so I must start it up again, especially as we have so much stuff around the house to sell on there - have started to sort some things out and check selling prices, but no sign yet of me actually listing anything, which I need to do very soon for extra money :mad: Listed a pair of trainers and made £46 :T but gotta do some this coming week :(

5. SURVEYS – again, with the ill-health of my Mam up North, I have neglected my online surveys so have to get back on top of them and do them regularly. Plan is to claim the vouchers as they become available to put away for Christmas 2011, whereas the one’s that pay cash (BACS/PayPal) will be put into savings pot - now keeping more up-to-date with surveys and have joined another site too Had one P1necone Survey, so £4 to savings account :D

6. CASHBACK - get back into using cashback sites too, making sure that I claim any cashback going on quotes, insurance, purchases, etc and, though they are fewer of them around these days, to so some Daily clicks too to boost the amounts - made some purchases through cashback sites - wating for payment of £130 on over 50 plan from last year still waiting for that £130 but have done a few other cashback purchases incluing first order with Tatco.com for £10 cashback :D

7. HOUSE – to declutter and decorate the bungalow – these two have to go together as we can’t decorate until the mountains of ‘stuff’ is out of the way. Selling on eBay will help, but so will being ruthless with what we have – if we haven’t used it in almost 3 years since moving here, we don’t actually need it, so it can be eBayed, car booted or taken to charity shop/tip - nothing done yet really which is getting me down DITTO

8. GARDEN – it’s a mess, as we haven’t done very much to it at all in almost 3 years since moving in – tidy it up, keep it tidy and use it more - nothing done here yet and that is getting me down also DITTO

9. SLIMMING – I joined Sl*mm*ing W@rld in May 2008 weighing in at exactly 19 stone at 5 ft 5 ins. Quite quickly at first and then much more slowly, I got that down to 14 st 7 lbs making a loss of 4 st 7 lbs which I am delighted with, but lots more to lose, so must get on with it, especially after putting 6 lbs on over Christmas!! - 2011 lost 3, gained 2, lost 2.5, gained 1, stayed same, lost a half pound - so far in 2011, lost 3 pounds which is better than nothing but still not got rid of that Christmas gain!!!!!!!!!!

10. EXERCISE – due to arthritis and other health problems, I haven’t been able to exercise as I would like – but things have improved with my arthritis as I have lost weight, and, touching wood as I speak, I am in a much better position mobility-wise than I was, so must start some exercising to aid the weight loss. We have a Vibration Plate which you stand on to exercise and it magnifies the effects of your movements, so must get back into the routine of using it, as it does work (if my knees hold out!) - whoops, no sign of this happening yet, which is getting me down, which makes me even less like starting any exercise :( though, in fact, arthritis in hands and neck worse at the moment, as is my sciatica, and I am getting 'funny' dizzy/palpitation spells which are under investigation at docs :(Right, did a 25 min dog walk today 18th Feb - it's a start ;)

11. MSE – to be a more active member of MSE. I must get back into this, bumping up the NTN thread and offering support and advice on the DFW forum. I did this when I first started posting, soon picking up pieces of advice and passing them on whenever I could. I did enjoy this and saw it as putting something back into the site, which has given me so much, but, recently, my heart went out of it to be honest, with various things happening on here. However, I must find that zest again, as it helps me to help others, so everyone benefits in the end - still don't feel ready to spread my wings again :(DITTO - I just don't feel the same about everything on MSE after all the trolling and abuse, especially with NTN :(

12. FINALLY - 11 is such an odd number, so I needed another challenge to round it up to a perfect dozen, and I could think of no worthier challenge than to not let things get me down, TO BE POSITIVE and TO BE HAPPY - I am HAPPY with my DRO going through and money side of things, but depressed about not getting started on certain areaas DITTO

Well, that’s my challenges for the year, and there is a lot there to be honest, but I can only do my best, and I do actually feel that they are all achievable, if I set my mind to it

So, here we go folks ....................................... what about you???
  • Mr_3Dogs
    Mr_3Dogs Posts: 448 Forumite
    THE CHALLENGES OF Mr 3DOGS:

1. DRO - get 3Dogs to review my token payments to my creditors, with a view to applying for a DRO come April 2011 when the rule changes on pension funds come into effect

2. BUDGET - get 3Dogs to set out a proper budget and help her stick to it – properly!!

3. SAVE - get 3Dogs to set up a savings account to put aside money for annual and occasional spends such as heating oil, vet bills, van repairs/MOT/Car Tax, clothing, dentists/opticians, emergencies, etc and not moan when she won’t let us take money out of that fund for something else

4. CAR BOOT – I’d started this under Permitted Work Rules, so will continue with it, and hope to earn more out of it

5. EBAY - help 3Dogs to get started eBaying again, learning how to do it myself so I can do some too

6. HOUSE – to declutter and decorate the bungalow – these two have to go together as we can’t decorate until the mountains of ‘stuff’ is out of the way. Selling on eBay will help, but so will being ruthless with what we have – if we haven’t used it in almost 3 years since moving here, we don’t actually need it, so it can be eBayed, car booted or taken to charity shop/tip. I must also get the flooring, that we have had for 2 years, down in the lounge and bedroom

7. GARDEN – it’s a mess, as we haven’t done very much to it at all in almost 3 years since moving in – tidy it up, keep it tidy and use it more

8. SLIMMING – I joined Sl*mm*ing W@rld in May 2008 weighing in at 20 st 4½ lbs at 6 ft tall. Quite quickly, I got that down to 12 st 11½ lbs making a loss of 7 st 7 lbs and reaching my target, making it to the Sl*mm*ng W@rld Man of the Year Semi-Finals/Finals in 2010, which I was delighted with, but started being naughty again, especially when the Boss was away for 7 weeks up North with Mam so ill, and I am now 14st 12 lbs and 2 stone over my target weight. So my aim is to get back on track and get back down to target, as soon as I can

9. EXERCISE – other than walking the doggies, I haven’t been exercising as I should for some time now, so must start some exercising to aid the weight loss and to feel better in myself. We have a Vibration Plate which you stand on to exercise and it magnifies the effects of your movements, so must get back into the routine of using it, as it does work, plus my Iron Gym above-door kit, and TV exercise sessions too – lots to work with there

10. FINALLY – to work together with 3Dogs to achieve all our challenges, and to not let things get me down, TO BE POSITIVE and TO BE HAPPY

You may notice a common link to most of my challenges, in that I need the help and direction of my Better Half in compiling this list and in then completing the challenges – in fact, you may have already guessed that the Boss a.k.a. 3Dogs has typed these challenges up for me and posted them – well, she is the Boss after all!!! P.S. remember, she wrote this, not me!!
    :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
    Ha'way the Lads - SAFC
    Enjoying life to the full
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,179 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Challanges looking good 3Dogs & Mr3Dogs :grin: :j

Happy shiney new diary :grin: :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    OK here goes with my challange's
    1.lose weight aim 42lb before it start's avecting my mobility
    2.Declutter as our place is a mess,and we've been here 4 year's with that in mind I'v joined the declutter fred on Old Style.
    3. Grow more fruit and veg,did well with my bush's last year but did'nt do well with tom's,chillie's and pepper's/capsicum's cause I planted then to late, need to set seed's end jan chillie + pepper's
    4.Exercise,and get the hang of the pedomiter SiL got me for xmas.
    5.Enter more compertion's
    6.Learn how to do more thing's on the 'putor.
    Not many but all need working at.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • beanielou
    edited 31 December 2010 at 10:20PM
    **Not to waste money.
    **Not buy anything unless I really really need it.
    **Pay off overdraft.
    **Loose weight & KEEP it off.
    **Blah blah blah.
    **Stay in my house.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• steviehants
    steviehants Posts: 3,228 Forumite
    edited 2 January 2011 at 1:42AM
    To lose some weight. :j Eat healthy
    To save money :money:
    Dont buy things that are not needed. :mad:

Put money aside for emergencies, I.e Dentist,

To download as many coupons/vouchers.

To enjoy life with my friends and Family, :D
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 February 2011 at 1:56PM
    I have thought hard about this i would like to achieve the following by the end of 2011:

I have thought hard about this i would like to achieve the following by the end of 2011:

Health
    1. Reduce my average blood sugars from my HBAlc of 8.6 i find out on friday. eek.

Food
    2. Cook food rather than buying processed at least twice a week i have only been doing it once a week must try harder.
    3. Try to eat some fruit everyday slipping a bit.
    4. Try to drink water instead of Diet Coke (which is used as a toilet cleaner in India according to my dad) on a daily basis. i only have coke when i go out now.

Exercise
    4. Try to walk to and from work every day unless weather is bad and i have lots of marking done
    5. Use flipping trampoline maybe once a week (amended following words of wisdom from Beanielou). not done.

Home
    6. Make my house happy and enjoy it. doing it. :D

MSE
    7. Keep posting on MSE doing it.
    8. Try to make people feel welcome on MSE Ok need to restart this
    9. Save after all my money has gone to builders am saving like crazy
    10. Try to have 12 NSD a month (well we shall see) so far pretty ok.
    11. Empty my purse into a change tin every week. using susan's money box now.
    12. Start to use vouchers in my shopping will do this weekend
    13. Use cashback sites for purchases not made any new purchases

Fun
    14. Stalk George till i am ASBO'd :D (can't help it am slightly sozzled with it being new year's eve and all). He is letting me stalk him i can't believe it.
    15. Meet my heroes and friends from MSE (you know who you are) am doing this hooray.

Me
    16. Try to be more assertive and put myself first and ask myself what do I want when i am confused I feel a bit more assertive with my dad and i realise that my friend was mean the other week. That is good.
    17. Continue to be happy and laugh at least once every day you all make me laugh and i am so happy to know you all.:D:j

:j:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::j
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • beanielou
    Looking good sw but I think the trampoline at least once a week :grin:

• Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Great challenges everybody, especially 3Dogs and Mr 3Dogs.

My list is probably going to be VERY long. I have a lot to achieve in 2011.

1. Lose weight, I would like to lost at least 2 stone, but preferably 4 stone, but will see how I go.

2. To start taking iron tablets every day, so my hair stops falling out.

3. To eat much more healthy, no more junk food, more fruit and veg, that will help with weight loss.

4. Try to use Wii Fit at least 3 times a week, if not more, that will help with weight loss, and will not make it another expensive present wasted.

5. Try and do surveys every day, potentially there is a lot of money to be made, vouchers or cash, and these can all be used towards Grocery bills/household bills or even go towards Christmas presents/savings, etc.

6. Try to save £2 a week on Tesco stamps, Sainsbury's Savings Card, Iceland Savings card. I would like at a minimum to have £52 saved on each at the end of the year, more would be fab :D, this could then be used for Christmas food, or if we are not here, ie up north with family, used for after Christmas :D

7. Sell anything I no longer have a use for, ie old clothes, shoes, handbags, etc. unless it is stuff I have got through glitches that can be used for Xmas/Birthday pressies, etc.

8. Enter more competitions and win so that I don't have to buy Xmas/Birthday pressies.

9. Check grabbit and freebies site a bit more often than once in a blue moon, ie daily/weekly so can take advantage of glitches to save on food bills/clothing, pressies, etc.

10. To see more of my friends and my DS to see his friends. They have been a bit neglected this past year.

11. To try and read a bit more, at least 1 book a month.

12. To listen to more music and watch TV less.

13. To be more organised with my finances, keep a beady eye on my accounts and be accountable for every penny.

14. To keep my house decluttered and nice to walk into. To tidy and hoover, and dust as necessary.

15. To keep my paperwork upto date, and organised, so I KNOW exactly where everything is!

16. To get new wardrobes for all of us, so we have more storage room, and somewhere to actually hang our clothes.

17. To get all our loose photos into albums, to print all our photos using discount codes, freebies, etc.

18. To get DH a whole new wardrobe of clothes, whether through glitches, bargain buys or winning.

19. To buy/win/obtain a chest freezer, so that I can buy and store all those whoopsies and can make HM food to freeze, therefore saving even more money

20. To write a blog

21. To help fundraise for a special friend - for her autistic son and to raise awareness of autism.

22. To try and obtain funding to do a course with the open university.

Right, think that is it for now, although there are plenty more.
  • 3Dogs
    edited 1 January 2011 at 3:18AM
    HappyNewYear2011.gif
    Happy New Year to you all - let's hope that 2011 will be kind to us all :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport