Bank Account Fraud

2»

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    This post has nothing to do with stoozing.
    If all this happened at Christmas why wait until now to mention it.
    Despite the inconsistency of your saying in the third line that it was your credit card that was taken, your strange phrasing 'student at sizthform' and your belief that Natwest is a building society, you do need to do something about this.
    Have you actually checked at any time over the last 6 months that a CIFAS marker has actually been placed on your credit files? It appears so far to be nothing but an assumption. The refusal of Natwest to open a current account for you could be the fact that, as a Sixth Form student, you have no income and presumably no credit history, rather that the existence of a CIFAS marker.
    Were you actually 18 when the incident occurred? If you were not you may escape the CIFAS marker as a minor should have no credit files as they should not have any credit agreements.

I would say they are 18 or older when it occured as a credit card was mentioned, now whether he meant debit instead of credit I dont know, shouldnt really be able to confuse the 2 but you never know.
  • First off i do apologise for a couple for the mistakes that i made in my question , Yes it was a debit card not a credit card and the building society bank i tried was with Nationwide , natwest the bank account i had closed down. They told me they had closed it due to fraud which is why i made the assumption that i had a CIFAS marker put on my account.

and no i havent waited this long doing nothing , i tried other banks like Nationwide who told me they couldn't let me bank with them because I didnt "fit the critera" , Currently I have a prepaid card but obviously i want to at least try to get this debit card thing sorted

Plus im pretty sure a bank wouldnt let you open with them simply because you are a "student" since you can open youth account and student accounts so a credit history wouldn't even matter despite you being a "minor"
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 June 2018 at 9:24PM
    First off i do apologise for a couple for the mistakes that i made in my question , Yes it was a debit card not a credit card and the building society bank i tried was with Nationwide , natwest the bank account i had closed down. They told me they had closed it due to fraud which is why i made the assumption that i had a CIFAS marker put on my account.

and no i havent waited this long doing nothing , i tried other banks like Nationwide who told me they couldn't let me bank with them because I didnt "fit the critera" , Currently I have a prepaid card but obviously i want to at least try to get this debit card thing sorted

Plus im pretty sure a bank wouldnt let you open with them simply because you are a "student" since you can open youth account and student accounts so a credit history wouldn't even matter despite you being a "minor"

See if there is a CIFAS marker on your file by asking CIFAS. Google something like how to check cifas record, answer you need is 1 of first 2 links.

Before you do that sign up for totally money, it tells you if you have a Cifas entry, any CCJs and if your bankrupt.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The simple fact is you have 2 choices

1) It was fraud, you report the criminal activity to the police and get CIFAS marker removed and your brother takes responsibility rather than ruining your life
    2) It was not fraud and you are seen as complicit in the crime and are lumped with CIFAS marker ruining your credit for years
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure