In many cases buying fruit & veg in plastic packaging is cheaper than the same loose

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    MrsPear wrote: »
    Can someone please explain what veg with it is own natural wrapper needs to shrink wrapped? I am thinking cucumbers, swede and celeriac to name a few.

"a wrapped cucumber lasts more than three times as long as an unwrapped one"

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/a-lesson-in-packaging-myths-is-shrink-wrap-on-a-cucumber-really-mindless-waste-8340812.html

Wrapping food in plastic is usually done to extend the shelf life. It reduces food waste. It also prevents you having to go to the shops two or three times a week.

The main problem with plastic is the way it is disposed of.

And much of the plastic in the ocean comes from countries who simply throw their waste into rivers.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Bananas seem to be the only fruit / veg that is cheaper loose.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    molerat wrote: »
    Bananas seem to be the only fruit / veg that is cheaper loose.

If only it were that simple. Looking on the Tesco web site, loose baking potatoes are currently £1.10/kg. A pack of 4 wrapped are £1.43/kg. But a 2.5kg bag is only £0.80/kg.

The trouble is, I don't need 2.5kg of potatoes. They will have sprouted before I have eaten most of them.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,294 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    The only item I could find cheaper in our local supermarket was bananas. I would gladly buy items loose if they were cheaper.

Also the supermarkets should start supplying paper bags to put your loose items into, as the bags are plastic that they supply.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    ... the supermarkets should start supplying paper bags to put your loose items into, as the bags are plastic that they supply.

Why? Plastic bags use less energy to produce and distribute than paper bags.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Why? Plastic bags use less energy to produce and distribute than paper bags.

In terms of energy and resource use, plastic wins over paper. Plastics however, being light things usually that can blow out of bins and bin trucks, need to be disposed of carefully. I put them in a bag of rubbish and tie the top tightly before throwing out to ensure they make it to the power station that burns our rubbish.

However, I think there may be a case for paper bags in this situation - I find fruit and vegetables last far longer in paper than plastic. I just wrap them in newspaper when I get home, but many people don't buy papers and might appreciate a paper bag.
  • Ben84
    edited 13 January 2018 at 5:45PM
    Plastic packaging has I believe become very popular because it allows for many things that benefit retailers and consumers. Choice is one of them, it would be challenging to offer multiple varieties of apples at different prices if they were all sold loose. How does the cashier know which is which? There's also the speed of shelf filling - which relates to how much our shopping bill comes to. Packaging items as units also allows for better stock keeping, reducing wastage (also impacts our shopping bill) and makes it easier to stock items more reliably, so you don't turn up and they are often out of items you want. There are good and bad sides to packaging, I don't believe it's simply a needless habit supermarkets just started doing. It has its purpose.

In general, the packaging on fruit and vegetables is much less than that on ready-made foods, often it's just a thin plastic film. Soft fruit comes in boxes, but they're pretty light things. None of it adds up to much. With its modest environmental impact, saving a few grams of plastic a week isn't a big deal to me, so I wouldn't want to give up much to do it. I've cut weekly waste down dramatically anyway - and largely by switching to products in lightweight plastic packaging. Coffee refill bags instead of glass jars, detergent refill bags rather than a new bottle every time.

I feel the idea might all be a response to consumer pressure - which is often coming from assumptions that plastic is a highly destructive material rather than a resource efficient way to do useful things. As long as you're not throwing your plastic waste in the river or sea, using lightweight, low resource consuming plastics is I believe the greener option compared to paper, glass or metal alternatives. If you're living in Europe, or the US and properly disposing of your rubbish in the waste collection, then there's not much reason to skip plastics - you're not the origin of the ocean plastic problem:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/891361/Plastic-waste-pollution-90-per-cent-rivers-India-China-Africa
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Supermarkets already do offer a variety of different apples loose. The suppliers stick little labels on the apples in the factory, saying what they are.

As to stocking the shelves, that's easy. The produce arrives in big plastic boxes. Just drop the entire box onto the shelf and take the top wrapper off.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • I had words with Waitrose last year, both in store and on the phone with customer service because of the discrepancy in prices of loose versus packaged potatoes. Exactly the same variety cost nearly double when loose - £1.75 per kg loose and 90p per kg pre packed. I was told that it is what all the supermarkets do. I now buy my spuds from the local greengrocer for £1.20 per kg and I can buy the amount and size that I want. Offers on fruit and veg in supermarkets are always on prepackaged items, never loose.
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • Ben84
    Ectophile wrote: »
    Supermarkets already do offer a variety of different apples loose. The suppliers stick little labels on the apples in the factory, saying what they are.

As to stocking the shelves, that's easy. The produce arrives in big plastic boxes. Just drop the entire box onto the shelf and take the top wrapper off.

I haven't seen apples like that at my local stores. Only the cooking apples are sold loose. But I like cooking apples anyway, eat them like eating apples! So my apples are bought loose.

Using boxes, I suppose you mean like the bananas comes in? That sounds reasonable. Currently, I believe those are single use card boxes, so not sure how that would even out against alternatives. Reusable boxes could work though.

Personally, I tend to shop little and often, so buy a lot of the loose things like sweet potatoes, onions, carrots at the supermarket so I can buy just what I need, and I shop a lot at the market which uses less packaging. I buy a mix of packaged and unpackaged fruit and vegetables. Still, we eat lots of vegetables and fruit, and it's a minor waste stream from our house. I mean nationally, it must add up, but individually, pretty small. When I started focusing on waste reduction, I tried various things, but didn't find fruit and vegetable packaging was somewhere that made much difference. Cutting back on glass, tin cans and to a lesser extent plastic bottles (bulky, but very light) did more good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure