From debt to freedom...

Comments

• Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    You guys are lucky having a tumble dryer - we don't have room for one so everything is on airers or radiators. I usually do my washing Friday through Monday and then ironing is done by the following Friday when it starts again.
    I'm baking a lot too , I used to easily spend a tenner on cakes and chocolate each week. The kids are loving helping too so I feel like we're spending more quality time together alongside saving money. Great that Sunday was a NSD , here's to another frugal week :)
  • My tumble dryer and washing machine are out in the garage storm as there isn't room in the house for them. I also have my overflow freezer out there. I sort all the washing out here into whose it is as well. I have some plastic vegetable baskets that are stackable. Each child has a basket and once it is dry, I sort into whose basket it is. Then when the basket is full, the clothes get taken upstairs and put away. It keeps the washing out of he house I suppose and stops me having piles of clothes hanging around!
  • Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    That sounds very organised mumoffour. We don't have a garage either just have a parking space so couldn't do that. All these little things are what I think I'd like when moving house. Having clothes hanging around the house is annoying.I like the idea of an overflow freezer too . I suppose you have to run the house so organised with having a big family.
  • Yep it's good having a garage but in the fact that it is generally filled with carp! Also you can't get to it from inside the house, you have to go outside. And yes I have to be very organised although I do hate sorting clothes out! I often get it wrong whose clothes are whose!
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 January 2018 at 11:21PM
    I often end up folding something and having to ask the older DDs whose item of clothing it is:rotfl:.

You're right Storm, I am lucky to have a tumble dryer. I try hard not to use it because of the cost of running it but the mountains of washing we have make it necessary to use in the depths of winter. That's great that you are enjoying baking with your children. Cooking with children has got to be one of the best things to do!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Payment to the cc by direct debit happened yesterday so another £25 paid. Every little paid off is going in the right direction:).
  • NSD #4 today - hurray. I had hoped to have a few more NSDs this week but running low on milk and then DD3 having a cookery lesson at school did away with that hope. I wonder why cookery lessons never seem to need the things that you have readily available at home??!!
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,026 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    NSD #4 today - hurray. I had hoped to have a few more NSDs this week but running low on milk and then DD3 having a cookery lesson at school did away with that hope. I wonder why cookery lessons never seem to need the things that you have readily available at home??!!

I remember my parents and I frantically trying to decipher the ingredients needed for next day's cookery lesson and I was getting tearful because I would be in trouble for not having the 'lerion' listed in my scruffy handwriting. It was my Dad who finally worked out what it was. I often think of that when I cook with a lemon. :D
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • My eldest two’s school you don’t have to provide all the ingredients. Sometimes it is just a couple and sometimes you don’t have to provide anything. I just have to make a contribution of £10 towards ingredients for the year. I think they are trying to stop parents having to buy stuff they wouldn’t necessarily have. So for example, this week my daughter was making savoury rolls but all she had to bring in were whatever savoury bits she wanted. The school provided the ingredients to make the actual rolls. It’s so much easier as all we had to find was bacon and cheese on Sunday night at about 8pm!
  • That's a really good idea Mumoffour...might have to suggest that to our school.

NSD #5 yesterday:).

I've planned a menu for the week with DD3. I went through the freezer yesterday and realised that I have a few bags of frozen soft fruit, so have planned a raspberry custard tart for tonight's pudding ( DS2's favourite). Hoping to get some baking done later to fill the tins. DD2 gave me 2 lovely tins for Christmas...not sure if it's a hint to fill them up more :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family