Least irritant washing powder/liquid

Im sorry if this has been asked before, but....

Gentlemen I suggest that you won't be interested in a question about soap powder.

Please can anyone suggest a really non-irritant clothes washing product. I have eczema on my undercarriage, which has recently flared hideously, very itchy, bleeding etc etc....I never use bio products, wear only cotton, never put bubbles or anything else in the bath, but it's still very bad at present. There seem to be so many washing products out there claiming to be for sensitive skin, but I dont want to waste money on something else itchy, and would much prefer advice from other people.
Any suggestions very gratefully received !

Comments

• BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    All I have been able to use here is Persil non-bio powder, no softeners added at all. Kids all had sensitive skin as babies and even as older teens now their skin easily irritated. FInd if I stick to this particular product I have no both.
    The dermatologist recommended using Dove soap in bar form for washing - grate some under hot running water and you will create a few bubbles for your bath. Another recommendation for bath is oats in a muslin bag and let water run through - wont give bubbles but has good effect on dry skin problems.
    hth
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I can't use any washing powder; on fact itch if I pass it on supermarket shelves or in someone's kitchen.

I used to use Sainsbury's own brand non-bio, as both my children and myself have sensitive skin, but they changed the formula, some years ago.

Now I use Tesco's liquid, which seems fine.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Try using some of the non-detergent options.

Soapnuts, ecoballs etc or handwashing using soapflakes.

You might want to look for SLS free products for washing - try your local healthfood shop or similar for natural cleaning/laundry products and toiletries.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 28 July 2016 at 7:10PM
    Method is hypoallergenic. That's what we use as my partner has stress induced eczema. We do an extra drain and spin just to be sure there isn't any residue even though I doubt it's needed. He said it doesn't aggravate his skin like other washing liquids.
    We buy it when it's on offer at £10 for the refill; around 85 washes. I believe it is on offer at the moment in Mr S.
    The pump you need before the refill is on offer at the moment in Mr S for £4 - around 25 washes.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • .j.e.j
    .j.e.j Posts: 161 Forumite
    If you're near a Waitrose they do a fragrance-free sensitive skin washing powder for £1.75

If not you could try Surcare?
    I'm back.. :D:D

(lost my password/email to my old account!)
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    With D.D having eczema I don't use biological formula, Surcare is good, Acdo, soap nuts, method, currently on Ecover
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • mel48rose
    mel48rose Posts: 513 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    My son has eczema and we find Fairy Non Bio does not upset his skin at all. Smells nice too.
    If you change nothing, nothing will change!!
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Violet's is really good - they get lots of good reviews from people with allergies and skin issues.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 July 2016 at 2:17AM
    I sometimes get eczema on my scalp, behind my knees and on my arms. I tend to find that Fairy is OK to use (the washing gel not the washing up liquid) and you can get the softener too if you use that. I don't know which is best to get but this works for me and is affordable as you get quite a lot for your money.

Failing that, I know some that will use soap studs to wash clothes or hand wash things and other brands such as Surcare and Ecover and if you are near a Lakeland they sell a ball which you add to your washing and cleans everything but does not require any washing detergent, ever. I've not used it but the reviews look good. Again; not going to add or deposit biological formula on things.

OP, are you sure this is eczema and not thrush?
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    I can't use Fairy or Persil, as they both make my skin red and itchy. I think in the OP's case, I would see the doctor to check that it is eczema, and if it is, go down the non-detergent route. I would also wash bedding and towels in non-detergent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure