MP3 for toddler

Options
Our youngest loves music and currently has a kids CD player which he can operate himself by pressing the buttons. He also likes the red numbers which tells you which song number it is. However he's a chewer and a licker and the player quickly becomes covered in slobber and the buttons start to stick (sorry, that's a bit grim!). He then gets cross and throws the cd player across the room, dislodging the cd so it doesn't play.

He's 4 and we are on our fourth CD player. And it's a killer on batteries.

I'm considering an MP3 player but it would need either an inbuilt speaker or connect to some speakers. Something with literally play/forward/back/stop buttons. Fairly large ones. He has learning difficulties and developmental delays.

Can anyone recommend something? I feel like I've searched so much my head is spinning.

Thanks

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We gave up on dedicated music players for the toddler in the family. The CD players all got wrecked and the cheap mp3 players you can get on ebay, for kids, don't really last.
    We went down the route of an Amazon fire 7 kids edition tablet.
    Now he plays music, all his favourite videos and loads of games.
    It comes with a years Amazon kids subscription and a guarantee that should your child break it they will replace for free, no questions asked.
    He's had it since he was 3 and loves it.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J90MTXW/ref=fs_austinKET?!!!!!independen058-21
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Maybe a cheap tablet with a protective case ?
  • Legette
    Legette Posts: 60 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not sure he'll get his head around the touch screen though. We have an ipad at home that he occasionally watches sky kids on. He keeps patting the screen and then it stops the show! We've resorted to a DVD player instead for watching tv programmes.

I am beginning to think I am asking for the impossible.
  • RumRat
    Options
    I don't think we've had to find anything for him in ages. He took to the tablet and just knows how to get to everything he needs and he's still only 3. They soon get the hang of it when it's something that interests them.
    If he's not on the tablet he's telling Google to cast Netflix kids stuff to the TV....
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Legette
    Options
    Ah, no talking here yet. Although i think that may be a blessing in disguise else Peppa Pig would be on the TV constantly!

Thinking outside of the box, is there an app I can download onto the ipad/iphone that would display buttons aka an mp3 player that would play the music?
  • RumRat
    Options
    There used to be one called EZ Tunes, don't know if it's still available though. I've not used IOS for a few years.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Legette
    Options
    Thanks. I’ll do a bit more research!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories