RBS Reclaim Enquiry

I tried this a few years ago, and the RBS flatly refused my request. It went to the Ombudsman who sided with RBS, on the basis, that a full 3 years after having a packaged account, which i didn't want or need, I checked their site for what travel insurance the card held! An absolute joke of a decision. Still angry about it. Is there anyway I can reapply or appeal?
Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    An absolute joke of a decision.

No Joke. It is legally correct.

Timebars exist to prevent businesses or individuals being subject to complaints/actions that would be difficult to support due to time passed. It also protects them from frivolous or try-it-on complaints. Such as having a product that you never complained about or had issues with until a website told you that you could get some money back by making a complaint.
    Is there anyway I can reapply or appeal?

No, You are timebarred.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • gerlep
    gerlep Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dunstonh wrote: »
    No Joke. It is legally correct.

Timebars exist to prevent businesses or individuals being subject to complaints/actions that would be difficult to support due to time passed. It also protects them from frivolous or try-it-on complaints. Such as having a product that you never complained about or had issues with until a website told you that you could get some money back by making a complaint.

No, You are timebarred.
    Thanks for this info, appreciate you getting back to me. How long does a 'timebar' last? thanks
  • dunstonh
    How long does a 'timebar' last?

Forever.

One a timebar is in place, it is there for good. You can consider the issue closed after that.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    gerlep wrote: »
    How long does a 'timebar' last?
    It's a bar on you complaining after a certain amount of time has elapsed and doesn't somehow expire.

Your complaint is now over.
  • gerlep
    It's a bar on you complaining after a certain amount of time has elapsed and doesn't somehow expire.

Your complaint is now over.
    We'll see. ;)
  • dunstonh
    We'll see. ;)

There is no wishy washy about it. A timebar that the FOS have accepted means its all over.
  • gerlep
    dunstonh wrote: »
    There is no wishy washy about it. A timebar that the FOS have accepted means its all over.
    Haha I believe you, i just posted that as to see if you could respond with humour, and use one of those little smilies at the side....no luck alas....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Haha I believe you, i just posted that as to see if you could respond with humour
    Most people would not react well to anyone here jovially telling them that their complaint is over.

So no "smilie" for you, I'm afraid.
  • gerlep
    Most people would not react well to anyone here jovially telling them that their complaint is over.

So no "smilie" for you, I'm afraid.
    Oh contraire! a big smilie from me, as today the RBS agreed to refund me £811.81. Seems there was a volume of complaints about how poorly they handled initial complaints. So maybe you shouldn't be too hasty with such absolutes, about timebars, and complaints being fully closed. RBS have admitted they made an error, so maybe you could do likewise. Here's that smilie:rotfl:
  • dunstonh
    Or is it a plevin refund? Timebar does not apply to that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure