Existing Insurance, New Condition

Good morning, I hope someone can give us some advice please. My wife is planning a big trip with her family to Thailand in October (3 weeks, flight book about a year ago). She has purchased travel insurance through Boots quite some time ago but just recently she has had a medical issue.

Acute abdominal pain has an initial diagnosis of Gallstones from her GP. She is currently in the process of having scans and bloods done and delivered to her GP in order to have this diagnosis confirmed.

At what point do we need to inform the insurer of this change to her condition? Is there concern Boots would cancel? Would we invalidate the insurance by not declaring it before the trip?

We are very concerned as we've not had anything like this before and don't want to end up her being uninsured.

Tell the insurer? 12 votes

Tell the insurer now
66% 8 votes
Tell the insurer only after a confirmed diagnosis
33% 4 votes
Do not tell the insurer at all
0% 0 votes

Comments

• I think it's the same with all insurance policies in that you are required to inform the insurance company of any changes that could result in a future claim.
    Boots are no different in this regard:
    http://www.secure-travelinsurance.co.uk/b2c/documents/Bron_RTXBI40109_02_07.pdf
    Accurate and relevant information
    You have a duty to take reasonable care to answer questions fully and accurately, and that any information you volunteer is not misleading.
    This applies both when you take the policy out and at any time during the policy period. If you do not do so, we reserve the right to void your policy from inception. In the event that it becomes necessary to do this, we will give you seven days’ notice of cancellation of the policy by recorded delivery to you at your last known address.
    Because an insurance policy can only provide cover in respect of accident, illness, loss or damage for an event/occurrence which is sudden, unforeseen and beyond your reasonable control, you must also tell us if you are aware of any circumstances at the time you purchase this insurance, or at any time afterwards, which could possibly result in you having to make a claim; otherwise you may not be covered. You can do this by calling: 0345 125 3880.
    We reserve the right to charge an additional premium, amend the policy terms, or decline to offer cover if we feel that the information you give us changes our assessment of the risk involved.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd suggest she informs them them straight away. My particular company will still insure you for conditions that have cropped up mid year but they still want to know about it.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    The consequences of not telling them are potentially far higher than informing them immediately.
  • I would also opt for telling your insurers now rather than later.
    Even though there hasn't been a confirmed diagnosis yet, the symptoms and tests alone mean that Boots would want to know.

At least by telling them now, if they do decide to ramp up the premium or decline to cover your wife and cancel the policy (unlikely to happen but still possible) you will still have time to shop around for another policy.

I have an annual policy with Saga and in the last year I had to inform them of two conditions (tennis elbow and nasal polyps, something that required surgery) and neither of these resulted in any change in my premium.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I voted to tell them when you have a confirmed diagnosis. However, as you're travelling so soon and your wife has something which could cause her dreadful pain, I think you'd better ensure that the cover is valid.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I had what my GP told me was gallbladder pain a couple of years ago. I told my insurance company who wouldn't cover it but offered to put me in touch with another provider who might. The pain was too much so I cancelled the trip. It turned out it wasn't the gallbladder after all, if I ever find out what it is I'll let you know.

You must tell them straight away.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I voted to tell them when you have a confirmed diagnosis.

I would also opt for telling your insurers now rather than later.
    Even though there hasn't been a confirmed diagnosis yet, the symptoms and tests alone mean that Boots would want to know.

My company (LV) want to know if you are undergoing any tests or have seen a consultant. Our GP is very thorough and sends us for tests at the drop of a hat. I'm not knocking it but it can be a pain (excuse the pun) with the insurer. They told DH at the hospital that there are probably hundreds of thousands of people in the country with gallstones but they're not aware of it but if you get sent for tests (as DH was) even though they don't intend taking any action the insurance company need to know.
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you tell them she is undergoing tests Boots, assuming they act as pretty much every other travel insurance company, will exclude what she is having tests for from her insurance. If you are OK with this then tell them now.

I know this because my other half told her insurer she was going for an ECG and they immediately sent her a letter pulling cover for all cardiac related problems. In the end she had to go private so she got the results (which said there was no problem) in time for our pre-booked trip to the USA.

When are the test results due? Can you wait until then to tell Boots if it turns out she does have gall stones?

If you want cover and the results have yet to be received you could tell Boots she has gall stones and pay the extra premium, if any. I'm not sure this is insurance fraud as you are offering to pay for something she might not have. But, this is based on no expert knowledge at all so am happy to be corrected.
  • uknick wrote: »
    If you want cover and the results have yet to be received you could tell Boots she has gall stones and pay the extra premium, if any. I'm not sure this is insurance fraud as you are offering to pay for something she might not have. But, this is based on no expert knowledge at all so am happy to be corrected.

I would say that without a doubt, it would be classed as insurance fraud.
    BY telling Boots that the condition is gallstones without actually knowing this to be true, a false declaration is being made and if the OP's wife was to fall sick whilst in Thailand and it later came to light that at the time of travel her medical condition was actually unknown, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to find that the insurers refuse any claims.
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would say that without a doubt, it would be classed as insurance fraud.
    BY telling Boots that the condition is gallstones without actually knowing this to be true, a false declaration is being made and if the OP's wife was to fall sick whilst in Thailand and it later came to light that at the time of travel her medical condition was actually unknown, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to find that the insurers refuse any claims.

Wouldn't disagree with this if the tests are a general catch all for something wrong in the abdomen area and gallstones are just an educated guess by the GP. I read the original post as gallstones was the diagnosis and they were just confirming this.

In my other half's case it was definitely an arrhythmia and they were monitoring to see if it was anything to worry about. So, she could have declared it as such and paid the additional premium. As it turned out the tests came back as no further action needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure