Scam on Facebook

Comments

• MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Lorian wrote: »
    Looks like a Russian site hiding behind cloudflare.
    MSE uses CloudFlare as well.

Btw, the "Russian site" is probably hosted in Russia and owned by a Yank.
  • MothballsWallet
    pmduk wrote: »
    Facebook is NOT a reliable site for adverts. There is little to no regulation on there and you have no protection of your funds compared with other sites. You buy at you own risk.
    And FB isn't regulated because Zuckerberg has made so many friends in government that they don't want to upset him (except Turkey, where he bent over backwards to accommodate Erdogan's breaches of UN law).
  • MSE_Rhiannon
    MSE_Rhiannon Posts: 151 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary First Post Car Insurance Carver! Energy Saving Champion
    Does anyone have a screenshot of this offer, the Facebook advert or the site that we can add to a write-up to warn people about this scam?
    Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
    Follow us on Twitter to grab the latest MSE Deals.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Does anyone have a screenshot of this offer, the Facebook advert or the site that we can add to a write-up to warn people about this scam?

Why not just warn people to be ultra careful if clicking on an ad on Facebook as many are scams
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Perhaps it is time for the mods here to amend the title of this thread to reflect that Debenhams is not the scamming company - perhaps Beware Facebook sellers posing as Debenhams?
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Only today someone was telling me that her daughter believes everything on facebook.

Why, just why?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    Debenhams will be closing stores over a 5 year period the very idea they will be selling any stock which actually still belongs to the company its branded to is just nuts! The company may not want it back too long on the shelves, then it is sent to another store which is not closing. Or go on sale in store or sometimes turns up in TKMaxx. Quite a few items of Nars,Dior,Estee Lauder been turning up in my local branch. It will never ever go to some unknown company flogging it on Facebook

PEOPLE STOP AND JUST THINK FOR 2 SECONDS!

Facebook spam ads all the time if in doubt contact the actual company they are suppose to be debenhams, dior etc and get an answer.

Unfortunately people dont think for 2 seconds when they see something thats really good.
  • MothballsWallet
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Only today someone was telling me that her daughter believes everything on facebook.

Why, just why?
    It's stuff like this that make me avoid Facebook like it's Ebola-infested...
  • MSE_Rhiannon
    MSE_Rhiannon Posts: 151 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary First Post Car Insurance Carver! Energy Saving Champion
    photome wrote: »
    Why not just warn people to be ultra careful if clicking on an ad on Facebook as many are scams
    We do, we have a whole guide on stopping scams and we're linking to it, but this version of the scam mentioning Debenhams is the one we've been emailed about the most recently and not everyone has seen it via Facebook ads.
    Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
    Follow us on Twitter to grab the latest MSE Deals.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    We do, we have a whole guide on stopping scams and we're linking to it, but this version of the scam mentioning Debenhams is the one we've been emailed about the most recently and not everyone has seen it via Facebook ads.

So when are you going to amend the title of this thread?

It's been mentioned that it's not a Debenhams scam for over a week.
    If I worked for Debenhams, I would not be happy about my company's name being sullied erroneously on a public forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure