Current Account not mobile dependent

Does anyone know of a UK current account that you don't need a mobile for?

We live rurally and cannot get mobile reception inside. Husband has a mobile and I don't. Since our bank has required a mobile for every transaction now have to spend several hours each week trying to pay for things , phoning bank and waiting for someone to answer. Am cut off from internet banking every other time. I've tried complaining, they said lots of people are complaining and having same problems but its now the law.

Even worse when we are abroad, every transaction gets declined even though we tell them. Both always been in credit.

I can use a cash machine but that's about it. Paypal gets round it but so many other issues when places don't take.

Anyone know a bank using landlines.

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 October 2019 at 9:46PM
    Most do not require a mobile, although the swiftest way is often a mobile, and WiFi calling can overcome the problem of bad mobile reception. WiFi calling is offered by most of the big networks.

If you insist on not using a mobile, you can use the likes of Lloyds or Halifax. There's a thread on here somewhere which discusses the various offers and issues. If I have time to locate it, I will post a link, or may be someone else will.

BTW, it's nonsense that it's the law that you need to have a mobile for online
    banking.

EDIT: this is the thread I mentioned above: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6021774

Also, Lloyds currently pay you £125 if you switch to them.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    First Direct are primarily a telephone banking bank - may be worth considering. Authorisations are done via a keypad thingy
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Tesco will use landline
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

Even worse when we are abroad, every transaction gets declined even though we tell them. ............

Anyone know a bank using landlines.

How would a landline be of use when you are abroad?
  • Thanks very much.

Its everyday in the UK as well as abroad. The UK is biggest issue for now as not going abroad until next summer.

I have one account with Halifax already so that would work and be easy to set up, thanks.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yorkshire Bank (Clydesdale) will issue a token for authorisation if you insist that the other methods they offer will not work for you.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Which bank is it that you use and requires a mobile for every transaction. Please tell us.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ive used Halifax Clarity, Monzo and Starling and none rang me to query the transactions. No need to tell Halifax your going away.
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Many banks will let you use a landline for OTP codes instead of a mobile phone, Nat West for example.
    YNAB enthusiast and extreme coupon-er.
    Discounts, coupons and cashback:
    2019 = £1,443.52
    2020 = £1,191,76
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    tallmansix wrote: »
    Many banks will let you use a landline for OTP codes instead of a mobile phone, Nat West for example.

Lloyds group too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport