Any advice

Hi
Any advice would be welcome I live in a council house with my disabled son so just the 2 of us and on benefits as his carer we don't have family ,
my problem is decorating we have been here 17 years and it needs painting and some new internal doors hanging , I have spoken to the housing and asked as best as I can if I buy the doors and wallpaper ,paints will they do it and if they have to charge me I will make payment on dd no came the reply .
I can't afford to get a painter and decorator in

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sometimes the Probation Service are looking for jobs like this, although I don't know if they work through an organisation.

And we have a charity called Aspire round here which is working to get people back into work: they use people's existing skills or train them on the job. Their rates are very good.

Since it's not in the council's interests for your property to become completely run down, I would go back to your Housing Officer and ask if they are aware of any similar schemes in your area. When I worked for a Housing Association there were certainly some provisions made for older tenants and those with special needs.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Dobiesmom has accidentally posted her query twice - could someone merge her threads please, otherwise she might miss some of the replies.

Thanks

Daisy
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 3 March at 11:14AM
    You could send an email to [Removed by Forum Team] and ask them to do it, otherwise it will have to wait for a Board Guide!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Hi Dobiesmom, in our area we have the ymca that decorate and do gardening work for the disabled and elderly, so i think its worth getting back onto the council, or the citizens advice bureau and asking if they can recommend an outside organisation that may be able to help you. I have also just been reading an interesting thread on the moneysaving old style board about bartering, do you know anyone in your local area that would be willing to help out with your decorating for something you could provide in return eg, washing and ironing, a few homecooked meals, etc. Hope you find someone soon, BSB xx
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    You could try a community care grant for money for someone to do it for you, I've just applied for money for a new orthopedic mattress and got it.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • almar_2
    almar_2 Posts: 393 Forumite
    I applied and got a community care grant to help towards the decorating. I had to get the forms from the jobcentre.
    Quidco £196 - Voucher Codes £408 - GC Saved £603
    P.A.D. £[strike]4720[/strike] / £4330- Jan GC £375/Spent £283.78
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills