Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 27th Feb 18, 3:06 PM
    • 5,327Posts
    • 32,028Thanks
    foxgloves
    Put away your purse & become debt-averse
    • 27th Feb 18, 3:06 PM
    Put away your purse & become debt-averse 27th Feb 18 at 3:06 PM
    I've decided to start a diary to show that it's possible to change from a terrible money waster into a a bit of a budgeting ninja. OK, I'm not perfect....we all have slip-ups now & again....but I am proud that by my budget efforts & our surprising willingness to change from big silly spenders (we really were a pair of narnas!) to really quite sensible people, we managed to become debt-free. We paid off around 35k & really, just learned how to live differently And you know what? We really enjoy it! Turned out that all that spending & having to have stuff immediately didn't really make us happy. Who'd have thought it?
    Pre-LBM, my principles for money management were:
    1) Buy pretty much whatever I wanted when I wanted. Overdraft was seen as another word for 'more of my money'.
    2) Open bank statements, look at the balance through semi-closed eyes, carefully fold & replace in envelope & put in drawer.
    3) Tell myself bank balance is fine because it's only 3 weeks till pay-day.
    4) Always withdraw useful wodge of cash the week before pay-day just in case that pesky bank was planning to show me up in the supermarket by stopping my debit card.
    5) Never budget - why waste time on this when my own system worked so well?
    6) Tell myself not to worry about savings. They would be nice, but I 'didn't earn enough'
    That was about it, really. I didn't budget at all & made no effort to spend within my means. I lived outside my means from the age of 19 & didn't become debt-free till my 40s!
    The LBM was huge. I had it first & my partner showed initial signs of resistance, but when he saw my debts disappearing, he soon wanted in on the act & is now like a different person with money.
    Two years ago, we borrowed a modest sum to help us buy a car, We always knew this would happen & we made sure we saved up a good deposit. It was always our intention to re-pay the loan early & we did manage a nice overpayment of 2000 last year. However, our 2nd overpayment was almost ready to pay in when we had a string of expenses which we didn't want to put on credit cards, so we used our loan overpayment money to pay those. Last year was difficult in many ways & although we didn't return to our previous naughty spendiness, I think I started to lose some of my focus. Before Christmas, our Loan Pay Down Fund (LPDF) was down to just 60. Now it is already up to 421, really just from little savings, selling a few bits & bobs here & there. One thing I'm going to be really BIG on this year is 'Shopping from home', as in doing that first, to see if a spend can be avoided. I've got off to a really good start with that, starting with my new year de-cluttering & have found all sorts of useful stuff that will save me money further down the line. I also intend to do a full kitchen cupboard audit. Although I'm a DFW 'Small things' regular, I've never done a DFW diary before, so I'm going to use it to focus my efforts & get that LPDF up to 1000, then the next 1000, etc, asap. If you are the sort of person who gets excited about the contents of other people's cupboards & the satisfaction of saving a few quid here & there, then do join me for sharing ideas, laughs & moans, & I promise to throw in a few tales from my Spendy Decades - I have kept a journal for a lot of my adult life & I absolutely wince now, reading some of those diary entries about my cavalier attitude to money. I suppose they show that if I can change, anyone can! Oh well, onwards! I loved being debt-free & just a small amount of effort will mean that I can soon be again.
    F x
    Last edited by foxgloves; 27-02-2018 at 3:13 PM.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 217
Page 86
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 18th Oct 19, 5:58 PM
    • 5,327 Posts
    • 32,028 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Well I shall need that, HHoD, as the money hasn't even arrived yet (bit of a saga) & I'm already feeling nervous about it.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 217
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 18th Oct 19, 6:49 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 13,514 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Evening Foxgloves.

I love reading your diary. I learn so much and it inspires me to try harder to be less wasteful.

Please keep posting (if you wish too)
    Outstanding mortgage: 27,000
    MFW 2019 Challenge Member #28: 800.something/ 2860
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 19th Oct 19, 7:52 AM
    • 5,327 Posts
    • 32,028 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Thanks for your nice comments, Wish. It's sometimes difficult to get my head round, because if anyone had suggested back in the Spendy Years, that I would ever inspire ANYONE in any area remotely connected to financial common sense, I'd have collapsed onto the floor laughing!
    But I did partly decide to start this diary to show that changing even longstanding bad habits is very much possible, providing that the drive to change is there.
    Oooh, I've just noticed the time. I'm going out in 40 minutes & am nowhere near ready.
    F x
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 19th Oct 19, 7:57 AM
    • 2,591 Posts
    • 13,553 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Congratulations smallchanges on clearing your debt.

Blackcats I loved your flawed logic, the more I spend the more I save

Foxgloves I find your writing both entertaining and inspirational.
    Last edited by Baileys Babe; Yesterday at 8:00 AM.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 19th Oct 19, 4:12 PM
    • 5,327 Posts
    • 32,028 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Thanks, Baileys Babe - at least I might have a fledgling readership if I ever manage to get my blimming novel finished!

And hi to everyone else too,
    A very pleasant low-key day today. Decided to press on with our planned trip our, despite the greyest of skies & chilly showers. So glad we did. We sat in the cafe with mugs of coffee - I had a scone & the Beloved felt he needed a treacle tart, but all bought from our Personal Spends, so no effect on what has been a pretty tight budget this month. We chatted till the rain stopped - chat is always free..... Oh, unless it's one of those expensive telephone lines for lonely males - watched a TV programme about that industry once, absolutely fascinating......I'm digressing big time again, where was I? Yes, in a cosy cafe watching wildlife in the rain, which then stopped. Coats zipped up & off we went for our autumn walk, not far, we kept stopping to look at things. By lunchtime, the sun was well & truly out, so we enjoyed our picnic & I felt pleased we'd brought it - just sandwiches, crisps & a home made sausage roll & pear muffin from the freezer, but probably about an 18 saving compared to if we'd returned back to the cafe. We really did fritter cash right, left & centre on breakfasts & lunches out back when we were Spendy Baddies. It must have added up to hundreds of s over a year & we did once work out we used to spend around an additional 2000 a year on popping out to buy lunch on work days. As we all know, this is the kind of mindless spending where one has nothing to show for it & when we do eat out now, we enjoy it so much more because its a genuine treat, rather than a debt-inducing habit.
    Well, as this afternoon has dropped cooler, I popped out to pick a couple of peppers - can hardly believe I still have ELEVEN more on the plants - mostly green, some red, a very good year for them - I grew a variety called 'Summer salad mix' as I like a variety of colours & they're not too fussy, apart from if it is too cold in Spring.
    I've finished reading my book & am about to start another from the library. We've a film lined up for later & I shall knit while watching that. The end is finally in sight for the gift I'm knitting. I need to do about another 36cms, I think, then I'll just need to sew in all the ends before handwriting some sort of posh label so as to present it nicely - then just one much smaller gift & I'll finally be able to cast on my new winter jumper.
    Enjoy your evenings, all. If anyone's had a cr*ppy day, whatever it is will eventually pass, as is the way of all things.
    Peace,
    F x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 19th Oct 19, 4:34 PM
    • 5,327 Posts
    • 32,028 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Blackcats - Lol at you missing #Potatogate! No further dumping of unwanted root vegetables has occurred.
    Oh, the ear-piercing reminiscence took me right back. 15? FIFTEEN? Lucky you! I had to wait till I was 16! I couldn't understand why my Mum let me colour my hair from the age of 12 (I think I could have had shares in the 'Toners' & 'Shaders' company between the age of 12 & 13!), but wouldn't let me get my ears pieced. Among the stricter parents, there were some nonsensical, frequently trotted out arguments against ear-piercing, often of the "If God had wanted you to have holes in your ears" , etc, etc, variety, but my Mum's reasoning was even more obtuse - "Why would you pay money to have holes made in your ears then pay more money buying earrings to fill them up again?" You can't argue with that kind of 'logic', can you? Except I did argue, all of the time. It may have been the 70s, but any reason which began 'Because I'm your parent & I say so' was never going to progress past first base of resistance with me.
    I suspect with hindsight that the real reason ear-piercing was forbidden was that when Mum was growing up it was probably considered 'common'. Lots of things I wanted to do fell into this category, & of course it just served to make them much more attractive.
    So at 16, I finally had my ears pierced & then again...... then again, & I shudder to think how much I must have spent on earrings in the following decades. I also made them myself for about 10 years & did craft fairs, sold to friends, etc.
    I had forgotten all about 'Salisburys', Blackcats. Yes, I do remember them. I bought a completely hideous pair of fake gold creole style earrings from there. They were so heavy, it felt like walking around with a hub cap dangling from each lobe!
    I always fancied having a diamond stud in my nose, but I worked with someone years ago who had a horrible infection from hers, so that put me off.
    Earrings, (sighs) - such a pleasant discussion topic after the weird tediosity of Potatogate.......
    F x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

1,421Users online

Martin's Twitter